unblock A Pillar drains

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

unblock A Pillar drains

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi,

With the interior of my M removed I can easily see if there are any issues with water entry into the cabin. Over the last few days it has rained a lot and today I have found a puddle un the cabin under where the drivers seat would be.

I know that normally water enters the channel at the top of the windscreen and goes down the hole in the top corner of the windscreen / A pillar and then runs down the back of the rubber seal, passed the join in the seal (where I am having the water issue) and then down and out at the bottom of that rubber and away down the outer sill.

A quick test looks like the water is entering into the inside of the door at the join area of that seal by the door jam where the bottom of the qtr light window is.

What I can't see is whether the issue is with the area where the seal join is - there is a little gap which is different to the passenger side or whether the passage of water behind the A pillar is blocked and therefore instead of water disappearing down the hole in the top corner it is instead forcing the water over the top and down the outside of the seal and then down into the cabin somehow.

In order to eliminate the drain being blocked I am wondering how you can clear this drain?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: unblock A Pillar drains

Post by kjb1 »

water under drivers seat carpet i would be looking to rear of car.

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Definitely coming from the A pillar - theres no interior or carpet in the car at all at the moment so I can confirm the rear shelf is bone dry. The water is coming in somewhere around the seal join where the A pillar meets the door jam and then down the inside of the seal and along the seal above the inner sill before dropping into the cabin (note the slope on the drive makes the car point face first upwards slightly)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Plastic strimmer wire goes down a treat, gets rid of the crap down there.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Brian H wrote:Plastic strimmer wire goes down a treat, gets rid of the crap down there.
any pictures to show us? where to put strimmer wire etc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Brian H wrote:Plastic strimmer wire goes down a treat, gets rid of the crap down there.
cheers brian - will give this a go
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

kjb1 wrote:
any pictures to show us? where to put strimmer wire etc
check this post - the hole goes down the inside of the a pillar rubber seal

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36095
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Water entering cabin by quarter light

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ok so after clearing the drain as discussed I have confirmed that the issue is that the seal that goes down the outside of the A pillar is bent / folded / not as elastic as it once once, so when the door is closed the seal folds down just enough to let water pass between the seal and the quarter light.

The obvious solution is to run some silicone down the rubber to make it fit more, but does anyone know any other way of revitalising the rubber so it fits correctly again.

On the picture below I have highlighted (1) where the rubber now goes "behind" the glass and is letting water in between. You can also see further up the window (2) where the rubber is still pushing out over the edge of the window further up....

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

so the issue is that you need the rubber at position 1 to be the same as position 2?

if so can you get anything behind the rubber to help push it back out? ie. Fill it out?

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

kjb1 wrote:so the issue is that you need the rubber at position 1 to be the same as position 2?

if so can you get anything behind the rubber to help push it back out? ie. Fill it out?

Sent from my iPhone
Yep that is exactly the issue - I wonder if a small strip of Butyl behind it will push it back out enough to create a seal again...? Do you know how the rubber seal attaches to the car? I assume it is glued somehow?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Right ok. No im not too sure how it attaches, but dont be frightened of pulling it off where its gone bad, it cant get any worse can it haha!

I would do as said and try and get some butyl under there then reseal with granville clear silicone or the like.

Sent from my iPhone
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm not sure you'll persuade it back.

But if you want to soften the rubber then you could try some of the tricks slot car (Scalextric) racers use on their tyres.

This includes Oil of Wintergreen and a proprietary treatment called Tigers Milk.

You could also remove it and soak it in hot water which will make it more pliable.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Here's a slightly more radical suggestion.

Slice a 6-8" section open. Insert and glue in place a stiffener that reaches to a non-deformed section either end. Glue incision shut. You could try Sugru. Truly wonderful stuff. A mouldable rubber glue/compound. I used it to do an excellent repair on my door card.

This solution possibly in conjunction with something to soften the rubber and obviously after trying that one on its own.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ok so looking at the bottom of the seal and it seems to go in near the quarter light just slightly. Looking at the passenger side it appears that side does the same as well so I am assuming this is by design.

Anyway, I have puled the seal away and put a strip of butyl behind it and then pushed the seal back on. It's not pretty but touch wood it seems to work when Ive poured water over it.

Its raining heavily now (typical bank holiday weather) so I'm gonna leave it and see if it has been successful.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

sounds like a nice fix!!!

well done. does it look like normal now? as in you cannot tell?

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

kjb1 wrote:sounds like a nice fix!!!

well done. does it look like normal now? as in you cannot tell?

Sent from my iPhone
Nah you can tell, its a bit of a bodge at the minute, but Ive ordered some other bits that are coming this week that should let me do a better job.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal