Clutch delay valve mod, also ......

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Clutch delay valve mod, also ......

Post by kjb1 »

Hi, just querying this. I have a BMW Z3 2.8 on a 99' plate with the m52TU engine.

Lots of info already discovered on smoothing out the gear change. Would like to know if I need to physically remove cdv if I have one? or whether ai could do this mod here, which simply involves snipping a wire etc. Please view this link and let me know others thoughts. Talks of revs not dropping nicely without this mod.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... -on-M52TUs

Sent from my iPhone
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Clutch delay valve mod, also ......

Post by bertiejaffa »

you need to remove it - see page 2 of this thread to see that it physically reduces the flow

https://zroadster.org/threads/project-s ... 610/page-2
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

why can I not simply do this wiring modification? mentioned in the link I posted would this not solve the issue?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The CDV is a physical adaptor that restricts the flow of clutch fluid, if you want to get rid of the symptoms it introduces you need to remove it.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

what exactly is this wiring mod taking care of then?

is the cdv removal worth doing also? what part do I need to put a straight through in in place of it?

Sent from my iPhone
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

kjb1 wrote:what exactly is this wiring mod taking care of then?

is the cdv removal worth doing also? what part do I need to put a straight through in in place of it?

Sent from my iPhone
No parts needed if you remove, the CDV is an inline adaptor male to female, the clutch pipe will fit the clutch hose once removed.

I can only imagine that the mod above stops the ecu from knowing you have dipped the clutch and therefore does not effect the engine revs in any way, TBH never heard of this mod before. I removed my CDV years ago, makes a difference and puts you in charge of your clutch again.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

like it! a free fix!! nice one. Think I will also do the other mod and reverse if not happy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

kjb1 wrote:like it! a free fix!! nice one. Think I will also do the other mod and reverse if not happy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone
Do the CDV removal first and give it a go, I don't think you will need to butcher your cabling after you have driven the car for a while.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I don't know if my face lift z3 has one as the clutch feels fine no judder just smooth gear changes unless my left foot feals sleepy
peter2b
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

These two different issues. The CDV is a pain because it damps quick but tiny clutch pedal movements such as we all make when manoeuvreing, but the 'mod' suggested in the link apparently makes the throttle behave more like a real physical cable operated throttle and, as such, would be desirable - if it works. My son has a Honda S2000 with a cable operated throttle and it is so much easier to drive and park with smoothness than the learner-like hunting and jerking that's foisted upon us by FBW throttle and CDV effects. He (son) also has a Z4M Coupé with a 'sport' button which has the effect of making it feel more direct. His CDV went in the bin too...

I can drive my Pinto engined Westfield more smoothly than my Z3 because the former has a cable throttle and clutch.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Another thought popped into my head yesterday and that is to be very careful about carrying out this swicth removal mod in case the same switch is a cruise cancel switch. You could find that the engine races away if you dip the clutch on cruise and the switch is not there to cancel the cruise function. :oops:
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

motco wrote:Another thought popped into my head yesterday and that is to be very careful about carrying out this swicth removal mod in case the same switch is a cruise cancel switch. You could find that the engine races away if you dip the clutch on cruise and the switch is not there to cancel the cruise function. :oops:
help if I had cruise ImageImage

but im guessing its been tried and tested as its a thread from USA, and Im guessing all cars got cruise over there.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

kjb1 wrote:but im guessing its been tried and tested as its a thread from USA, and Im guessing all cars got cruise over there.
Thats some assumption that because its a thread from the states its OK! Just like us, Cruse control will have been an option at the time of manufacture. If you do this mod let us know how you get on with it.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Brian H wrote:
kjb1 wrote:but im guessing its been tried and tested as its a thread from USA, and Im guessing all cars got cruise over there.
Thats some assumption that because its a thread from the states its OK! Just like us, Cruse control will have been an option at the time of manufacture. If you do this mod let us know how you get on with it.
I don't have cruise control.