Anybody seen a bra up close?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Anybody seen a bra up close?

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

I've not long had a respray and I've been browsing solutions for some chip protection. These so called "bras" :shake: ... Has anybody actually seen one fitted to a zed? I'm sure the manufacturers (colgan) do a good job of making them look less ridiculous in the photos but would like to know if anybody has ever seen or fitted one.

Also has anybody used a clear 3m vinyl to protect paintwork? Any thoughts/ideas or experience would be appreciated.
Phil

M roadster S54

Re: Anybody seen a bra up close?

Post by Phil »

I've seen one fitted - they spoil the look of the car.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'd rather have a stone-chipped bonnet to be honest.

How about getting a clear vinyl wrap if you are determined to protect it? If it's done by a reputable body shop you won't notice it other than a slight darkening of the paint colour.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I think a big one improves the look of a Z4
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

RUSTOLEUM do a spray on clear coat specifically for stone chips. It's a "peel off" product afetr use. ie. when it starts looking a little "worn" you can simply peel it of and re-spray the area you want protected. RUSTOLEUM advertise it for trucks on the can.... Probably works like the PLASTIDIP stuff.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I like Lacy ones ;)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

With a matching suspender belt. :D
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Dave L2 wrote:I like Lacy ones ;)
Bonzo wrote:With a matching suspender belt. :D
That's okay guys - we welcome all sorts around here. Cross-dressing is fine :lol:
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

mrscalex wrote:
That's okay guys - we welcome all sorts around here. Cross-dressing is fine :lol:
Quite looking forward to the next social gathering now...could be the next C4 documentary "cars and their Bras".... Fair warning then please if it's fancy dress :nerd:
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bloody awful.... Don't do it! I had quite a lot of work done 18 months ago including full front bumper respray. DTEC ruined that!! But that's the price of driving hard and aggressive - I'm just gonna have to have it done again, this time probably when I have the hardtop done

Bottom line - if you don't want stone chips, don't drive up someone's arse (and whether you agree or not that's the reason you get them), and I f you don't want to drive up someone's arse then overtake quickly or get a different car :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Still finding It difficult to get the stockings over my wheels without laddering them :shock:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

mrscalex wrote:
Steady on chaps, I'm coming all over a-tremble! :lol:
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

bertiejaffa wrote:Bloody awful.... Don't do it! I had quite a lot of work done 18 months ago including full front bumper respray. DTEC ruined that!! But that's the price of driving hard and aggressive - I'm just gonna have to have it done again, this time probably when I have the hardtop done

Bottom line - if you don't want stone chips, don't drive up someone's arse (and whether you agree or not that's the reason you get them), and I f you don't want to drive up someone's arse then overtake quickly or get a different car :lol:
'Driving up someones arse,' as you so eloquently put it, must be very annoying for the person whose arse you are driving up. I know it annoys the hell out of me if someone drives on my tail, I think it's very bad manners, is intimidating, irresponsible and shows a a lack of respect for other road users................. Hang on.... this is a wind up isn't it? Doh....
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I really have to admit that this Monty Python sketch comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrvQ1c5khU

:D
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Say no more squire!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Steady on chaps, I'm coming all over a-tremble! :lol:[/quote]

Ah me, the old knee tremblers........... who said romance was dead. :shock: