top mounts rear shocks

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

top mounts rear shocks

Post by peter2b »

just got some new rear top mounts for my zed but how do you get to them , looks like you need to remove the carpet behind the seats if so how do you get the carpet out ?
peter-2b
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: top mounts rear shocks

Post by siwilson »

You can just peel the carpet back from under the top lip. Start near the hood hinge as you can get to the edge of the carpet there. Fold the carpet back and you can get access. There are also a couple of black plugs if you need more room. It might seem drastic, but it goes back just fine.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

If you want to remove the whole piece of carpet, there are some little plastic brackets that unscrew behind the seats (delicate) and several round, push-in clips that are best removed by sliding a fork under them (and either side of their centre shaft) and levering out. As Si says, the rest is then just faffing around pulling and untucking the piece of carpet. Removing and replacing this darn bit of carpet is that hardest task when removing the rear shocks or mounts. :D
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers guys
peter-2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

A fork works well to pop the plastic clips out.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Just don't let your significant other catch you using a fork for that sort of thing. :shock: But other good ways to annoy them are leaving the toilet seat up, leaving your dirty washing on the bedroom floor and leaving the towel on the bed after a shower. Once they get those out of their system you should have a quiet day!

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i have had my carpet completely out and can comment that it is a pain to refit.. ,my carpet needed a real good clean as there was loads of black gum where the new roof was refitted... i bought the proper trim removal tools to get those plastic mushrooms out, takes a bit of fiddling but job was well worth it..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

had a look managed to get some of the carpet out on one side and fount the top mount, but before I go further think I will take the seats out to check for damp and give me more room to do the top mounts
peter-2b