Differential bush change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Differential bush change

Post by handsomejackuk »

has anyone done the differential bush without removing the diff and sub frame, i want to drain and change the diff oil, so figure if i take the diff cover off too, i can change the diff bushing...?

any thoughts

Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: Differential bush change

Post by Deano1712 »

You can do it easily with the diff fitted. Just unbolt the cover and it will come away.
The front subframe bushes are well worth changing to solid bushes, but that needs the subframe dropping.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi,
Not sure you need to take the cover off in order to change the bush. I would have thought that taking out the (19mm IIRC) bolt can be done while supporting the diff, then lowering the unit to change the bush.
I recently replaced the diff paper gasket, but kept the cover attached to the bush, as it was in good nick. I thought of taking the bolt out to detach the cover, but I could feel some tension, and thus didn't think I'd be able to realign the diff and the bracket after reattaching the cover. In order to close the diff after replacing the gasket, I had to Jack the diff up a bit and get somebody to sit in the boot, so that the bolt holes on the diff and the cover would align.
But then again, if you drop the diff to change the bush, you might as well change the gasket, as it's only a couple of quid, and 6 more 16mm bolts (though the top right-hand side one is not easy to get to when in situ).
Also, remember to first loosen the fill plug: you would be annoyed to find out after emptying the diff that you can't fill it back up...
Hope that helps,

Boosh.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Thanks both i will look into this need to get 14 mm hex for the drain fill plugs first
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It's an easy job with the cover off...

viewtopic.php?t=29073
Pingu
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

pingu wrote:It's an easy job with the cover off...

viewtopic.php?t=29073
Thanks bud.... Good to meet you Sunday even though only briefly
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

diff oil drained yesterday, plugs came out no prob.... left it overnight to drain went to halfords today to try and get some fully synthetic diff oil but none there so will have to wait until tomorrow to get some in readiness......

Anyway in the meanwhile I have loosened a few diff cover bolts and give them a good clean and spray painted them silver along with the drain plugs. hoping to get the cover off tomorrow and get it blasted along with the spare wheel carrier i got off today too...

keep you all posted on how it goes....