Coolant

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Coolant

Post by 4wheels »

Its nearly winter... and since i dont know the exact history of my car, its probably best to changed the coolant.

had a look about and the BMW stuff seems ridiculously expensive! so what do you use?
and how much do you need for a 3.0?
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Coolant

Post by alec.m »

10.5 ltr Capacity for a 3.0. I don`t know what type you need. I`m sure someone will be along soon to let you know.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

The BMW coolant is expensive but I don't think it is something to economise on. You need about 5 litres and it should be changed every 4 years.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

BMW's coolant is one of the few fluids they don't quote a prime supplier for.

If you want to keep your BMW as spec'd, you should use BMW coolant and deionised water.

You should be able to get it for £10 per bottle (1.5 litre). You will need three bottles to do a full coolant change, but you will have some left, so the next change may only need two bottles.

[edit: If your coolant capacity really is 10.5 litres, you will need four bottles. At last something that makes the M cheaper to run - its capacity is 8.6 litres :P ]
Last edited by pingu on Tue 18 Oct, 2016 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

4 years max I reckon, I change mine every 2 years using BMW antifreeze/anti corrosion stuff. But hey, what do I know!

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

With all due respect gentlemen, coolant these days is about as highly specced as you can get, and certainly much improved from the stuff BMW were specifying 15 plus years ago when the Z3 came onto the markets.
If you make use of a reputable brand like Caltex or Shell, I doubt if it'll ruin your motor. There is no doubt that modern smaller capacity motors with turbo charges are running higher stresses than the old BMW lumps in the Z3's, and consequently coolants have made appropriate advances to handle the temperatures involved.
I would safely say, that in 14 years, I have never used BMW coolant and without any harm to my motor. Coolant is essentially an alcohol which has little to no effect on metals or synthetic plastics and rubber components.

Here's a UK product which seems more in tune with these older cars we drive.... and at just £16 odd for 5 litres, would be quite affordable.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... de=080.861
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I've used the anti freeze from euro parts for years and had no ill effects to any of my cars.

Sometimes I think it isn't worth paying BMW prices.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Funny thing about the BMW antifreeze is that my BMW Z3 handbook says to change it every 3-years whereas BMW Mini use the same stuff and Mini owners are told if is now "lifetime" fill and only changed if it shows signs of discolouring. Toyota and VAG use the pink stuff and again, treat it as lifetime. They all seem to all make it up as they go along these days! :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

According to the service info I have, non-M's are every 4 years and ///M's are every 3 years. See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10538

Current price from Rybook is £10.06 inc. VAT (See here) and according to my invoices, only 2 bottles are required for my M44 engine, so £20 every 4 years isn't that bad.

From what I have read, the main reason for changing it is that the corrosion inhibitors only have a limited life. Exactly what inhibitors are needed will depend on the materials the engine and ancillary components are made from e.g. cast iron block, aluminium head, alloy waterpump impeller. So in theory the same coolant might have a different lifetime in two different engines if they are made from different materials. Coolant technology has also moved on, so that it lasts longer, but I'm not sure the service info for the older models has been updated to match.

Lifetime is also an interesting term - it really only means the expected life of the car - not that it will last forever. The Z3 gearbox is a lifetime fill, but we know from experience that it benefits from an oil change every few years. Can you imagine what my Sprite engine would be like with 50 year old fluids stuck in it (though British sportcars usually leak so much that you actually change the fluid every couple of years simply by the action of topping it up).

Regular changes get rid of any accumulations of crud and keep the coolant flowing freely around the engine block, meaning less work for the water pump.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Cars are like horses. Some are working horses, some are thoroughbreds.

Would you feed have fed Frankel the best feed that the best vets recommended or would you feed him some cheap stuff from Pets-R-Us just to save a few bob?

I buy coolant for my vans in 25litre drums at £45 a pop, but my M gets the recommended stuff at £10 for 1.5litres. Horses for courses :D .
Pingu