CLEAR HEADLIGHT INDICATOR LENS SETS - £48. All incl.

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: CLEAR HEADLIGHT INDICATOR LENS SETS - £48. All incl.

Post by Southernboy »

Before you start removing clips etc... check to see if the complete headlight will fit into the oven so you can also close the oven door... if not, you'll have to find a mate with a big enough oven.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

When I did mine the light wouldn't go into my oven so I used a hot air gun to warm the glue after about 10 minutes the glue softened allowing me to part the light.
Then used the hot air gun to soften the glue enabling to put the headlight back together.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i have a hot air gun here too... i may even take this route....
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

handsomejackuk wrote:i have a hot air gun here too... i may even take this route....

Keep the hot air gun moving all the time around the headlight so you get even heat to melt the glue.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i have just took my driver side headlight out to see how its done, and removed the spring clips, i have give it all a real good clean and oiled up the 4 securing bolts, i not going to do the deed until after this weekend, as we have a big run out, and dont want to miss it if i muck up one of my headlights...

i assume that when putting the whole headlamp assembly in the oven, that i should remove all the bulbs, and the rubber bulb gaskets, around the bulbs, what about the headlight motors, do they need to come out too...?

and there are some plastic clips that look like they are holding on the rear plastic assembly does the rear part need to come off as well... i should have took a picture but i hoping the someone will know what i am talking about...

thanks in advance...

Al
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Rubber, bulbs and motors off... Leave the plastic clips until you have it warmed up. They can be quite brittle when cold.
"Normal is overrated"

handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

thanks.... southernboy.....
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hahahaha....Just saw this ad on eBay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-M-HEAD ... Swr7ZW6xvm
"Normal is overrated"

wifevanda

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wifevanda »

Please be careful if you have a gas oven.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

got any clear ones left ,when I rebuild the front end on my z3 I neaded replacement head lights and didn't know about clear /yellow indicators mines post face lift but got pre ones
regards peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Pete
I don't have any, and not making them any longer. You'll have to shop around for a set of cheap OEM headlights with the clear lenses fitted. Alternately, visit the scrappies and find them there - even if the headlight main lens is broken, the indicator lenses may be recoverable. LHD / RHD is not important with regard to the indicator lenses... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Southernboy wrote:Hi Pete
I don't have any, and not making them any longer. You'll have to shop around for a set of cheap OEM headlights with the clear lenses fitted. Alternately, visit the scrappies and find them there - even if the headlight main lens is broken, the indicator lenses may be recoverable. LHD / RHD is not important with regard to the indicator lenses... :wink:
how did you make them.... i did wonder if there was any other model of car that they could be take from and trimmed down....?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have a set of moulds to cast them in. Problem is, the fella that was doing them for me, and at a reasonable price nearly killed himself in a pro cycling off road race... He's not quite been himself since then. He used his head as the primary landing gear, and in spite of wearing a regulation helmet, he severly damaged his abilities.
I spoke to another chap to possibly get them made, but his quote would have meant double the price. I decided to scrap the idea, since the cost plus postage from SA would make it a waste of effort and money. I still have the moulds though, and if I ever come across another possible source, I may have some made up.
If you know of someone there who is a plastics hobbyist, and who would like to take it up, I'd be happy to sell you my moulds. It's not a very complicated process, and the materials are commonly available from any composites outlet. The only equipment needed is a small pressure pot, and a small compressor with a drying filter between the compressor and the pressure pot to remove any moisture from the compressed air. Most plastics hobbyists would have such equipment as it's a pre-requisite to being able to make castings with resins. The resin itself is a two part clear acrylic type material. One part is the hardener and the other the acrylic. The quantities involved are very small, as you can imagine - each lens is quite small, and no more than 1.5mm thick. Once cast, it's a little bit of cleaning up on the edges to remove any swarf, and then a can of "clear coat" spray. Oddly, the clear coat spray makes the acrylic absolutely clear once it's applied. The natural cast acryllic is somewhat opaque before the application.
The tricky part of the casting is mixing the two part resins, and then pouring it into the moulds without getting any bubbles trapped in the mix. That's where an experienced hand comes in... they have found the right method of doing this and avoiding the bubbles.
Regarding using lenses from another car - I have never seen another car with headlights similar to the Z3. Also, the lenses are a very complicated set of curves. They curve left / right , top / bottom, and then the lense is twisted so two opposite corners are lower than the other two opposite corners. ie. if you wanted to rest the lense on all 4 corners, it would rock on two corners and ultimately only rest stably on 3 corners - one of the two other corners. So, being a specific shape for the Z3 headlight means it would be pot luck if you ever found an alternative close enough to adapt. Also, the inner edge has 4 "u" shaped clips which correspond to 4 clip on posts in the main structure of the headlight unit. Those 4 clips are what holds the lense in position inside the headlight unit. The clips form part of the cast lense.

I hope that explains fully the problems, and possibilities.
"Normal is overrated"

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

thanks any way I only need 1 side as I have the other head light that wasn't smashed
peter2b
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Great commitment getting them made Barry, all the best to the guy you have been working with.

Cheers
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Southernboy wrote:I have a set of moulds to cast them in. Problem is, the fella that was doing them for me, and at a reasonable price nearly killed himself in a pro cycling off road race... He's not quite been himself since then. He used his head as the primary landing gear, and in spite of wearing a regulation helmet, he severly damaged his abilities.
I spoke to another chap to possibly get them made, but his quote would have meant double the price. I decided to scrap the idea, since the cost plus postage from SA would make it a waste of effort and money. I still have the moulds though, and if I ever come across another possible source, I may have some made up.
If you know of someone there who is a plastics hobbyist, and who would like to take it up, I'd be happy to sell you my moulds. It's not a very complicated process, and the materials are commonly available from any composites outlet. The only equipment needed is a small pressure pot, and a small compressor with a drying filter between the compressor and the pressure pot to remove any moisture from the compressed air. Most plastics hobbyists would have such equipment as it's a pre-requisite to being able to make castings with resins. The resin itself is a two part clear acrylic type material. One part is the hardener and the other the acrylic. The quantities involved are very small, as you can imagine - each lens is quite small, and no more than 1.5mm thick. Once cast, it's a little bit of cleaning up on the edges to remove any swarf, and then a can of "clear coat" spray. Oddly, the clear coat spray makes the acrylic absolutely clear once it's applied. The natural cast acryllic is somewhat opaque before the application.
The tricky part of the casting is mixing the two part resins, and then pouring it into the moulds without getting any bubbles trapped in the mix. That's where an experienced hand comes in... they have found the right method of doing this and avoiding the bubbles.
Regarding using lenses from another car - I have never seen another car with headlights similar to the Z3. Also, the lenses are a very complicated set of curves. They curve left / right , top / bottom, and then the lense is twisted so two opposite corners are lower than the other two opposite corners. ie. if you wanted to rest the lense on all 4 corners, it would rock on two corners and ultimately only rest stably on 3 corners - one of the two other corners. So, being a specific shape for the Z3 headlight means it would be pot luck if you ever found an alternative close enough to adapt. Also, the inner edge has 4 "u" shaped clips which correspond to 4 clip on posts in the main structure of the headlight unit. Those 4 clips are what holds the lense in position inside the headlight unit. The clips form part of the cast lense.

I hope that explains fully the problems, and possibilities.
only just seen this post, thanks for explaining so well how it was done.... hey i surprised no one else hasnt descided to this too, as i sure there would be a small market for them
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As time goes by, the market will become larger as damage to headlights dries up the available OE replacement units, and as you will appreciate, it's all about having them for those that need / want them. I have no doubt that the complete headlight units will also become sought after for the same reason.
If I were in the UK, I would be looking for really cheap OE headlight units, and buying them up to restore to "as new" condition and possibly even fitting clear lenses to some. Stripping and buffing the main large front lense, cleaning up the main body and restoring the clips, mounting bracket points etc so that they will be sought after. I would definitely have a list of car breakers up and down the country and even on mainland Europe to keep in touch with for any "new" stock at a good price. Even two units which can be built into one good usable unit is worth buying, and would be worth the effort if you can pick them up for a few £'s. A decent buffing wheel,appropriate polishes, and a large oven to warm them for splitting.
One could even operate on an exchange basis - customer sends his "tired and dull" units to you in exchange for a restored set with sparkling clear front main lense etc etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"