Which gearbox oil?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Which gearbox oil?

Post by Gareth 161 »

Having just recently bought a 3.0 2000 z3, am having the same notchy gear change as in my old 2.8 z3.
On that one I changed the clutch hose and fluid together with putting in the Fuchs mtf oil which helped a lot.
However have just done the clutch hose and fluid on new one but cannot see a label on the gearbox to identify which oil to put in. My old one had a yellow label and hence the Fuchs titan sinto fluid 75/80 was the correct one.
Does anyone know which oil my new car would require?
Not sure if would be a standard oil for that year and model or would it vary. Have tried to research on the web but seems to be a very confusing subject!
Also saw some reference to not using gl5 if gl4 recommended as would destroy bearings?
Tempted to just use the Fuchs again unless anyone can clarify the point or recommend a better oil for curing a notchy gear change.
Thanks
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Which gearbox oil?

Post by c_w »

It's the exact same gearbox so use the same stuff as before that you were happy with :)

I run AMSOIL MTF in my Z3M (same gearbox) and it's not notchy hot or cold, it's nice and light.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Yes I was looking at the Amsoil mtf but it showed it as 5-30 which seemed a lot lower numbers?
If that is the right stuff, where can it be bought please.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Gearbox with yellow sticker - BMW Lifetime oil – LL1 or 2
Fuchs Titan Sintofluid SAE 75w-80 (as per original factory fill)
Amsoil MTF SAE 5-30 (SAE 75w-85 on gear oil viscosity)

viewtopic.php?t=37483
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks for the info and will probably go with the Fuchs as half the price unless the Amsoil is twice as good?.
Not sure what oil in there now as allegedly the gearbox oil changed before I purchased but no idea what was used.
Hoping that the Fuchs might improve things as would be the cheaper option other than removing box and looking at the pins or whatever. However have a nagging feeling that perhaps at 110k, it might be a mechanical issue but who knows!

Now off to try and change the inner and outer track rod ends as rusted up and they could not adjust the tracking which apparently was 10 degrees difference?
Gareth
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It may have had some other oil which retains a notchy nature. 110k nothing for these gearboxes.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Even more confused now after looking at the net
Bit worried that the Fuchs is gl5 which if I am reading things correctly, will eat up the bronze inards of the gearbox?
Has anyone used the redline mtl 75-80 which is gl4 and per the sales write up will reduce the notchy feel and should give better wear protection than atf which I read somewhere could also be used.
All very confusing
Westway also seem to do a 75-80 gl4 mtl which again per their write up, would be very good and is cheaper than the redline.
HELP !!
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Go with Westway or Redline if they meet the specs required.

I would add that changing my gearbox oil did relieve the notchy feel.

I used an ATF which seemed strange at the time.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks for all the help so far.
Will be checking with my garage to see if CDV actually removed when they fitted braided hose or is that a given?
My problem is knowing what specs the oil should be as can't see any label on box and handbook just says filled for life! Which is little use.
Was hoping that there was some oil such as the westway or redline 75/80 mtl which would be ok whatever the specs and would not degrade the brass bits if it was a gl4.
Pity bmw make something which should be very simple so complicated
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'll check tomorrow if I still have some of what I used and will check the specs.

If Westway and Redline meet the specs they should be ok.

The CDV isn't a valve as such, it's a restriction in the end fitting of the hose. The braided type as sold by Earls has a larger bore.
Gazza

ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Thanks and will be good to know what you used.
Not sure if it makes a difference but my braided hose was made by HEL and not Earle's
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

i switched from BMW OEM to Redline MTL a year ago. Now the gearbox is a little sticky when stone cold, but definitely much better than stock when it warms up. The BMW OEM seemed slightly better when cold, but did not change when the gearbox warmed up.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Put this is my 1.9 Getrag gearbox - feels nice - I've changed it twice now - modern synthetic gear oil (GL4) with the contemporary 75w-90 viscosity range

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-1L-Ca ... Sw9GhYdhNy
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

With gearbox oils one needs to get the basic parameters correct e.g fully synthetic (robust and long lasting) and GL4 (erring on the side of caution as mentioned above and not using GL5).
The rest is largely based on subjective taste and preference. Many people do not like a firmer “notchy” feel when cold but such oils will offer a smooth and less noisy operation when hot. Historically this is why ATF was used in some manual boxes although this might make them noisier when hot.
BMW manual gearbox oils have evolved in any event. MTF-LT-1 is obsolete and was thought to be mono viscosity 75W. MTF-LT- 2 was 75W-80. Both were GL4
If you put one in and don't like the feel when cold, you can change it again easily for say a thinner mono 75W and would have done no harm - in fact you would have done good by "flushing" the gearbox with a couple of quick succession oil changes. :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I removed the CDV from my 3.0 Z3 some time ago and it did make the gear change better.
However l just had a new clutch fitted and then found
fast gear changes a bit jerky. So l refitted the CDV and it is smoother and easier to get snatch free gear changes. (I am talking about spirited driving but not anywhere near the limits of the car)

Removing the CDV may help if you drive the car hard or on the track, but for normal driving it seems to make it easier to drive smoothly with it fitted.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

Changed mine today to stop it leaking. The aly washer had gone bad and leaked.
Put fuchs 75/140 in it.
What a difference, put more in than came out due to leak... And now very very little clunk when changing gears
I guess when I do gearbox oil it will dissappear all together