Calling all lowered zeds! post a pic please..

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Calling all lowered zeds! post a pic please..

Post by Z3cade »

As the title says can you post a side view of your zed if its been lowered please.. Stating how much youve lowered front and rear?
As im wanting to lower mine but unsure of what drop to go..
Pref if yours has 17" alloys too

Thanks, looking forward to seing some nice zeds!!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Initially I purchased a set of Jamex lowering springs (-30mm rear
, -45mm front), they rode really well and gave the car a nice drop...

Over time I came to realise the front still wasn't low enough! So I installed some adjustable Jamex coilovers, costing approx. £200 new, which I bought for £50 on the forum.

I was unhappy with the ride quality on the rear so ended up reverting back to original sports shocks and Jamex rear lowering springs! As the story unravelled I found out that the kit actually had been supplied with E36 coupe rear shocks, which is what threw it all out! So if purchasing a kit, do a side by side comparison on your standard shocks and the Jamex shocks, in my case the Jamex were about 1" longer, which lead to them bottoming out constantly!! :head:

Whilst refitting the rear lowering springs I also fitted a set of BMW spring pads (the rubber pad that sits on the lower wishbone to cushion the foot of the spring), as standard the one fitted to my car was 10mm, BMW sell an alternative 6mm iirc.

So, the rear is dropped -34mm. I can't really state how much it's lowered by on the front as the coilovers were manually adjusted, but I'd say it's about as low as it can go given the tyre sizes (255/35/17 rear, 225/45/17 front).

With my 18" AC's fitted with slimmer tyres I can go much lower though! Clicky...

Bouldy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bouldy »

Hi, see below 30mm eibach progressive springs all round on 18" wheels 8-)
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Bouldy wrote:Hi, see below 30mm eibach progressive springs all round on 18" wheels 8-)
My 30mm rear springs dont lower the car that much at the back :(
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Thanks so far guys, looks like 30 rear and 40 front would be a good way to go on my 17s.
Ive been and ordered some 5mm rear spring pads from bmw as the way your rears sit yalden is what im after.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

After re-reading this post im wondering if I have the wrong rear shocks, there is a sticker on them that says e36/z3 and the bump stop is three times the size of the original.

Hubby is not happy he now has to remove a rear shock, if they are wrong the whole kit is going to have to come off the car and be returned :(
Now for sale £6000 Ono
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

As per title only :D on 16"s

[/url]
ImageImageImage
Bouldy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bouldy »

Tori wrote:After re-reading this post im wondering if I have the wrong rear shocks, there is a sticker on them that says e36/z3 and the bump stop is three times the size of the original.

Hubby is not happy he now has to remove a rear shock, if they are wrong the whole kit is going to have to come off the car and be returned :(
Oh dear, thats well and truly frustrating, hope you get it sorted......
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

[quote="seasurfer"]As per title only :D on 16"s

Thanks Seasurfer, what drop are your springs?

Oh and why have you got one black gill and one chrome gill? Have you lost one?..... :wink:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Tori wrote:After re-reading this post im wondering if I have the wrong rear shocks, there is a sticker on them that says e36/z3 and the bump stop is three times the size of the original.

I think the E36 and Z3 rear shocks are the same. I think Yalden had a problem as his rear shocks were coilovers, Spring and shock in one. It didnt suit him so he changed back to standard set up, Shock and seprate spring.

I could be wrong but i think your shocks have a bigger bump stop as there ment to be shorter barrel shocks, made for lowered cars.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Z3cade wrote:
seasurfer wrote:As per title only :D on 16"s

Oh and why have you got one black gill and one chrome gill? Have you lost one?..... :wink:

It never ceases to amaze me of the level of scrutiny there is on this forum :wink: many a time i read a post then have to back track to see something pointed out.

No i havent lost one, i just like a different look from either side :wink:

only kidding, the first one was with his bling outfit and the second one was with his beautified look a few weeks later - i certainly got told off for that move :wink:

What drop have i got - no idea :D :D you only asked for a pic of a lowered zed :oops: of course i would like 17's at some point but i like him as he is just now.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Miller_102

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Calling all lowered zeds! post a pic please..

Post by Miller_102 »

Any more lowered z3s?

I'm trying to decide between coilovers and springs... anyone on here really low?
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

c_w

M roadster S50

Re:

Post by c_w »

seasurfer wrote:
Z3cade wrote:
seasurfer wrote:As per title only :D on 16"s

It never ceases to amaze me of the level of scrutiny there is on this forum :wink: many a time i read a post then have to back track to see something pointed out.

No i havent lost one, i just like a different look from either side :wink:

only kidding, the first one was with his bling outfit and the second one was with his beautified look a few weeks later - i certainly got told off for that move :wink:

What drop have i got - no idea :D :D you only asked for a pic of a lowered zed :oops: of course i would like 17's at some point but i like him as he is just now.
Looks so much nicer with the black gills. The chrome ones just don't work (on any colour) IMO. If there was just an element of chrome on the actual slats then it might look ok, but just a square block of chrome just highlights that they are in actual fact just fake side coveres.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Are there any Z3 owners on here who haven't lowered their suspension or fitted wheel spacers? :shock:

:cheers

Bonzo.

(Apart from me that is.)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Bonzo wrote:Are there any Z3 owners on here who haven't lowered their suspension or fitted wheel spacers? :shock:

:cheers

Bonzo.

(Apart from me that is.)
You'll find them all on the non lowered Z3 thread.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yep, found it! Thanks!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Looking back on this post, its nice to see Tori's Z3 back in 2011. Tori was a regular contributor on the site back in those days and I always thought that was the best looking Z3 I have seen. I wonder who bought it (for £6000?) and whether it's still around.
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

18's lowered on Apex springs 15mm rear spacers
18's same springs correct offsets no spacers :)