Happy birthday

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Tilly

M roadster S50

Happy birthday

Post by Tilly »

In a few days the M will be 20 years old with almost 100,000 miles on the clock. In addition my wife's 1.9 Zed will be exactly 19½ with now almost 50,000 miles on the clock. Both have just passed their MOT's with no advisories and the guy who did the test commented that for 20 year old vehicles they are both in very good condition.
Both cars have been mechanically maintained and any potential corrosion dealt with immediately. However we have never carried out any cosmetic work. I personally cannot see the point if you regularly drive them. Every chip scratch and dent is still in place.
I must admit the body work has stood the test of time very well which has to be a good testimony to the build quality of the cars. I remember when we bought them there were questions about BWMs built in the USA. Would the manufacturing standards be maintained. From personal experience I can say a resounding yes.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Happy birthday

Post by bertiejaffa »

Good to know it is still standing the test of time - the trouble with having a touch up is you are forever chasing it and redoing it..

That said I definitely need to get mine into the bodyshop to fix the dent I have in the passenger door from where someone has hit it and scarpered and the stone rash on the front end from the DTEC run last year :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I had quite a few stone chip on the front of my car when I bought it, and they bugged me all the time. I didn't know weather to get the bonnet sprayed or not as I would just get more chips on the front.
I did get it painted last year and I'm pleased I did.
No stone chips yet.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Fender2004 wrote:I had quite a few stone chip on the front of my car when I bought it, and they bugged me all the time. I didn't know weather to get the bonnet sprayed or not as I would just get more chips on the front.
No stone chips yet.
To be fair if I didnt spend a week chasing Deano and Pingu round the UK I might have been ok too :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Fender2004 wrote:I had quite a few stone chip on the front of my car when I bought it, and they bugged me all the time. I didn't know weather to get the bonnet sprayed or not as I would just get more chips on the front.
No stone chips yet.
To be fair if I didnt spend a week chasing Deano and Pingu round the UK I might have been ok too :lol:
I know what you mean I tried to keep up with Deano after a few minutes I gave up mine is only a 2.8
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Haha dont be blaming me for stonechips :$
I got a quote for a good respray for £4k and nearly had it done but priority is now buiding a house extension. As you say Bert the problem is keeping it good if you get a good respray done. I would rather have the car half decent cosmetically and enjoy using it. If I spend much more money it will be on upping power :-)
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Deano1712 wrote: If I spend much more money it will be on upping power :-)
Can you get any more power?
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

I remember a story I was once told from a person who restores older BMWs. One customer spend tens of thousands getting his 3.0L CSL restored to a new condition. It was absolutely immaculate when completed. However, when the owner went to pick it up he told the restorer that he was now hesitant to drive it. At which point the guy who owned the workshop picked up a handful of gravel and to the horror of the car's owner threw it at the front of the car. "Now you will have no reservation to drive it again," he calmly said. He was right and the owner drove off at speed, contented.
That story has stuck in my mind over many years and partially explains why I still love to drive my car in all types of different conditions.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Fender2004 wrote:
Its not more power he needs, its a longer (quieter) road :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Fender2004 wrote:
Its not more power he needs, its a longer (quieter) road Image
Im tempted with a turbo. Easy to get very high power levels. If only the rear suspension would hook up. Also tempted to change the rear suspension and diff to somerhing more modern so maybe thats a better place to start.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power