coolant

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
k9paul

Z3 coupe 3.0i

coolant

Post by k9paul »

have 2000 3.0l z3 have a little mayo on the engine filler cap non on dip stick no white smoke no water from the exhaust have done a sniffer test all good change water pump and thermostat car seems to be running fine any ideas please
paul
ps no signs of mayo in header tank heater works fine
thx
k9paul

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Re: coolant

Post by k9paul »

can known come up with the answer
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

low milage and not getting up to normal temp loads of short trips are the nomal reasons for mayonnaise on filler cap if near an oil change Bo it now and go for a nice long run
peterz3
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd agree - a little bit in the cap is probably just from short trips. If there are no symptoms of a problem, there probably isn't one.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

It's what can happen to all cars in the damp weather we have had lately if they have only been used for short journeys. Condensation emulsifying the oil is the issue and there is not much that can be done about it beyond ensuring that the engine gets up to full operating temperature. Clean out the mayo and go for a proper drive! :D
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

k9paul wrote:have 2000 3.0l z3 have a little mayo on the engine filler cap non on dip stick no white smoke no water from the exhaust have done a sniffer test all good change water pump and thermostat car seems to be running fine any ideas please
paul
ps no signs of mayo in header tank heater works fine
thx

As all have said not getting up to temp fully but the gunk will also clogging up the crankcase breather and pipes. It eventually feeds into the dip stick so perhaps that is why there is some on the dipstick.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Take it for a long drive at motorway speeds, then change the oil.

After that just keep an eye on it. But most likely to be as suggested above.
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I may have missed it but nobody has mentioned the thermostat. The temperature gauge should go to the middle of the dial very quickly. If it doesn't get there then it's almost certain that your thermostat has failed which results in the mayo on the oil filler cap. The part is quite expensive for what it is but fairly easy to replace. If the thermostat has failed I would also change the oil at the same time. I replaced mine many years ago see
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20891.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Zedbedee wrote:I may have missed it but nobody has mentioned the thermostat. The temperature gauge should go to the middle of the dial very quickly. If it doesn't get there then it's almost certain that your thermostat has failed which results in the mayo on the oil filler cap. The part is quite expensive for what it is but fairly easy to replace. If the thermostat has failed I would also change the oil at the same time. I replaced mine many years ago see
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20891.
I think we assumed that the OP would have mentioned if the gauge didn't behave normally, as his diagnostic efforts seemed fairly comprehensive.