Fuel tank Straps

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Garytwingo

blank

Fuel tank Straps

Post by Garytwingo »

I've had an advisory on my MOT about the condition of the fuel tank straps. I phoned my local parts supplier who said they are a main dealer part, so I phoned BMW to order a pair only to be told that they are different sizes and they can only supply one of them and not the other and that there is no delivery date on the out of stock one. Does anyone know where I can get two new straps or is this the end of the road for my Z3! :head:
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Fuel tank Straps

Post by pingu »

Salvage.

Or make them yourself.

Is it the metal or the protective foam strip that is the problem?
Pingu
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

You may be able to repair them with a rust treatment product. I had a similar advisory and used POR21 (I think) which has a rust eater and then black paint. This sorted it and it disappeared from the advisories the following year!
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I did the same ,rust treatment paint then waxol the lot
peterz3
Garytwingo

blank

Post by Garytwingo »

Thanks for your replies, rust treatment sounds like a good plan.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Are you able to remove the straps easily are do you do them in situ?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I did mine in situ good poke with a plastic probe and wire brush good soak in rust remover then paint(spray rattle can) then waxol the lot
peterz3
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Benw123 »

peter2b wrote:I did mine in situ good poke with a plastic probe and wire brush good soak in rust remover then paint(spray rattle can) then waxol the lot
peterz3
+1 from me - agitate the strap as it is, apply the rust eater with a brush, allow to dry, then paint. Mine has a shiny finish but you can get matt ones that might be better.
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Bizarrely the tank straps on my otherwise perfect 2.8 were very rusty and l looked at changing them, while the ones on my similar condition 3.0 (with similar mileage) still look new.

I think the foam pads trap water which causes the straps to rust, also there will often be condensation on the outside of the tank which won't help.

Mine are now thoroughly coated in a spray type sticky grease which does not wash off and is easier/less messy to apply that Waxoyl. I tested it on my garden gate hinges....after six months they are still sticky!