warning light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

warning light

Post by mickdev »

My 1.8 Z3 has been in the garage for the winter, I start it and move it regularly whilst it is stored.
I had the usual amber ABS warning light that come on every year until I run her and the rear left sensor fault clears(dirt on the sensor).
I took her out on Saturday for a run and the ABS light cleared but the amber exhaust emmissions values deteriorated light has come on, does she just want a good motorway run to clear her out.
Any help appreciated.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: warning light

Post by Robert T »

mickdev wrote:the amber exhaust emmissions values deteriorated light
The WHAT? Is that a facelift specific light? See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35657 for a list from my owners manual (with photos from my car). I either need to add it to my list, or you need to revise your description.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Put a photo up in case what you think is the emissions light is something else.

In the meantime I'd go and give it a good blast. Wheels sensors can be triggered just from getting wet washing the car.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

the picture in the handbook definitely says exhaust emmissions deterioration problem take it to BMW
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Sounds like you need to get the codes read. Either take it to a dealer/indy or have a look at the list of members that have diagnostics.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Sounds like you are talking about the engine light which my handbook also stupidly states what you say. Maybe it loses something in the translation since the handbook was printed in Munich unlike the car manufacture which is American; the reason why we have all this emissions crap bolted on! :head:
What it is telling you is that one or more of the sensors on the engine has gone out of the expected range at some point.
Chances are it is because of the lay up and there is nothing wrong with the car at all but now the light has been triggered it wants you to do something about it. Presumably that is not taking it to BMW otherwise you would have not asked the question.
If the light does not reset itself after a good blast down the road get yourself a diagnostic tool (INPA is best) and for the cost of a trip to an indy never mind a franchised stealer you can find out what is wrong, reset the warning lights when you get them and learn a whole lot more about your car in the process.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

I have it booked in this morning at a local garage to have the codes read (mates rates). I put my reader on and it didn't pick anything up .
I have a C110 scanner
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

As a matter of interest are you connecting your C110 to the OBDII under the steering wheel or do you have the adaptor lead to connect to the Pac-Man connector under the bonnet?
Not all codes and certainly only the DME module are available at the OBDII.
Always connect via the under bonnet connector if you can.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Its the 20 pin obd under the bonnet, turned out it was the lambda emmisions sensor, but was showing intermittent so he turned the fault light off and said keep using it as its been stood. If it comes on again replace it
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I would have thought that your scanner plugged in under the bonnet would have given you a code for a lambda sensor problem but then I am not that familiar with the C110.
It is possible that the multiple starts that you have been doing have triggered it since the engine and exhaust probably did not get up to operating temperature. Now it has, there is nothing wrong with the sensor but the warning light needed to be reset.
There are lots of posts on here about laying a car up for the inclement months that do not involve regular starts and may be worth a read for next winter.
Just make sure you keep the battery charged as a duff battery can present you with a host of problems when you do wish to use the car again.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

thanks for that , I do start it religiously every week in the garage and make sure it gets up to operating temperature, and I have a solar panel on the outside of the garage which is attached to the cars battery. I move it in and out of the garage to stop any flats developing on the tyres and leave the handbrake off at all times.
I shall run it and hopefully the light stays, off if not a new sensor it is.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

mickdev wrote:I do start it religiously every week in the garage and make sure it gets up to operating temperature
That really isn't very good for engines. Even if you let the temp gauge get up to the middle, the car doesn't really get properly hot in the way it would if it was driven, and you'll encourage condensation to form that contaminates the oil. If you're not driving it, just leave it to sit - nothing will go wrong because it hasn't been started.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Thanks Bladerunner. I will take that into consideration
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
mickdev wrote:I do start it religiously every week in the garage and make sure it gets up to operating temperature
That really isn't very good for engines. Even if you let the temp gauge get up to the middle, the car doesn't really get properly hot in the way it would if it was driven, and you'll encourage condensation to form that contaminates the oil. If you're not driving it, just leave it to sit - nothing will go wrong because it hasn't been started.
Most exhausts rot from the inside even stainless. Save yourself money and just leave it standing. :idea: