Hood dye/restorer

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hood dye/restorer

Post by burmagirl »

It's more than time to do my hood again - someone did it for me with Renovo last September and it hasn't worked very well, especially as it's been outside all winter due to an over-abundance of junk in the garage. I have bought more of the BMW cleaner and proofer but I see they don't do the dye any more. Has anyone used anything except Renovo, and how did it go?

many thanks

Sue
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hood dye/restorer

Post by BladeRunner919 »

burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hello BladeRunner

sorry, I see my post wasn't very clear and could be interpreted either way - I meant BMW don't do the dye any more. I don't want to use Renovo again.

regards

Sue
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Oh. I see. Renovo is a good range of products and I wonder whether your problem (what exactly is the problem you're experiencing) is down to how it was applied, or where the car has been. Leaving a convertible outside over winter is pretty much guaranteed to get some green mound, irrespective of what products are used.

Bear in mind that the BMW stuff could well be Renovo anyway!
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

Same position as you with a garage full of junk while doing work on the house - however as has been pointed out moss and mould will always be a problem so I invested in one of these - bit pricey with the postage but it really is a quality cover that keeps the softop dry and clean, plus no more cat hair from the neighbours feral moggy sunning itself on the roof - the cat hairs just shake off this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-hood-p ... Sw0e9U1mwV
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Absolutely nothing wrong with Renovo, IMHO
Whatever you use will not prevent a hood from going green if you leave it out in the weather over winter particularly this last one as it has been so mild.
We have had 1 morning of frost here and now it is spring again! :D
If you don't want the mouldy stuff then you have to keep the hood dry.
Simon59

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simon59 »

I don't know if this helps but I used Renovo reviver and proofer in January 2015 and the soft top still looks good more than two years later. I do have a Stormforce cover as well though, because she lives outside...
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

ive used renovo in the past and found it good
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I did wonder whether you are using the dye to cover up a mould issue? The dye is only really to deal with fading or discolouration so isn't normally a part of regular maintenance. I dyed mine 5 years ago when I first bought the car just to bring it back up to scratch, but regular annual maintenance has just been cleaning and reproofing. You certainly don't want to be covering mould up with dye because it will still be in the roof.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

How odd, no notification!

No; I've cleaned the algae with Milton, waiting for next sunny day to clean with the BMW cleaner, then wanted to dye and then proof. Someone did it for me last autumn and used their own remedy instead of Milton - whether it was that or just the fact that the car's been outside all winter I don't know, but it was really bad. They did clean it with Renovo which I didn't like as much as the BMW stuff, but that seems to be the only dye I can find now. I'm sure BMW used to do a rear window polish but I can't find that now, either.

Sue
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

A convertible car that is outside all winter will inevitably get mould. You can proof it all you like but that just stops the rain penetrating into the fabric. What you can't stop is the condensation in the car getting into the fabric of the roof from underneath and the moisture or mould forming on the surface of the fabric.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

I haven't got any mould, inside or out - I suppose there could be something between the hood and the lining but it doesn't smell inside the car. The only thing that was visible was the algae. But treating that and then cleaning and proofing does usually last a good year, this time it didn't. Having said that, I don't know that they used to clean the algae off in September, only that it wasn't Milton. They are showing a couple of cars so It may be that they smarten up more often and aren't so worried about recurrences.

Sue