Hazard/indicator problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Hazard/indicator problem

Post by davetook71 »

All on its own without ignition on the hazards start flashing - not normally but a fast flicker. Put the hazard flasher switch down and the hazards flash normally. Switch back up and the flicker resumes and neither indicator works. Only way to stop the flickering hazards is to remove the relay which obviously leaves you with nothing. Is it the relay? I've checked the contacts and they all appear OK. I've looked inside the relay and it all looks OK. Any ideas?
2001 z3 roadster 2.2l
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hazard/indicator problem

Post by BladeRunner919 »

What if you unplug the switch but leave the relay in? It's going to be the relay or the switch, so unplugging the switch will tell you which one it is.
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by davetook71 »

Thanks Blade 8-) runner I'll give that a try.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Without sounding like I'm going off at a tangent, I would check out whether your alarm system is working as it should. I suspect that the alarm could be triggering, but the siren isn't sounding..
If your indicators and hazards are working as they should be from the turn switch or hazard switch, I wouldn't think there's a problem with the relays. Check that the alarm is working, as the hazards flash while that's going off.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The alarm is not that bigger tangent. It has been reported more than once that a drowned tilt-switch can result in the hazard lights flashing when the alarm is not even set, and even whilst driving! Check behind the trim in the left-hand boot well and see if it is full of water or whether there is evidence of water having been in there - the tilt switch is located in the bottom of the well.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by davetook71 »

Thanks fellas I'll check those things out tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Robert, if the tilt switch is or has been drowned is it a new one?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

From the pictures posted on here, the connections look badly corroded, so yes it is likely to need replacing. I am not sure whether the alarm will function correctly if you remove it and insulate the connections.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by davetook71 »

Good morning,
Not a great deal of progress really. Checked the tilt switch and although some water below it the actual switch was bone dry and when I disconnected and opened the interior is dry and looks perfect. With the switch disconnected the original symptoms are unchanged. Disconnected the hazard switch but made no difference. Checked all the relevant fuses and swapped some of them out with spares. Noticed that if I removed the antitheft fuses (3 of them 31,34 and 43) the flashing stopped but no indicators or hazards. Does this point to an alarm related problem? And of course it still could just be the relay.
Any further thoughts from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Okay, I think you can rule out the tilt switch. It may still be the alarm, but this is looking less likely.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there are two components that are closely linked to the hazard lights and the indicators. These are the flasher unit (which has separate inputs for the turn signals and hazards) and the crash control module (which amongst other things turns on the hazards in the event of a crash - the alarm also seems to feed into this). The only other thing I can think of is the indicator switch on the steering column. Of those, the easiest thing to swap is the flasher unit, but they are not cheap, as they are somewhat more complicated than a simple relay. If it is not the flasher unit, then I am thinking that something is causing an intermittent short to ground - either in the indicator circuit or in the crash control module circuit and all the stuff that plugs into it.

Cheers R.
davetook71

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by davetook71 »

Just to let you know Robert someone suggested the bonnet switch could be the culprit and sure enough a few in/outs has obviously cleared some corrosion and it's all up and running. I did appreciate your help though as they also suggested some of your thoughts.
Dave
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It's a process of elimination. :wink:

And that's another one to chalk up on the list of possible alarm faults. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers R

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk