Head gasket 3.0

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Head gasket 3.0

Post by alec.m »

I appear to have a small coolant leak with some mayo showing on the oil filler cap which is making me think that I have a problem with the head gasket. I do a lot of short journeys, maybe the mayo is down to that but I`m concerned about the water loss.
Can anyone give me an idea what the cost of having a new head gasket fitted is likely to be? I`m past the age where I want to attempt this myself plus I`ve nowhere to do it.
Also I`ve used K seal in the past with excellent results but not too happy trying it on this engine. Any thoughts appreciated.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Head gasket 3.0

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Do you have any reson to think it's the HG? Is there anything on the dipstick to suggest there's water in the oil. As you say, the mayo in the coolant cap will probably be as a result of short journeys. Do you smell any coolant smells?
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, how much water are you loosing? 1st thing should be a coolant pressure check to eliminate any leak before automatically thinking it's the head gasket.
Is there water in the oil?, oil in the water?, is the coolest system over pressuring?, exsessive smoke/steam from the exhaust.
These engines have a reputation as being very reliable so hopefully it's something small like a water pump leak & all those short journeys.
H
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks guys, I`m only taking a guess at it being the head gasket. It needs topping up by about 250 ml a month. No external signs of a leak and no sign of anything on the dipstick. No steam or smoke from the exhaust. Performance is unaffected. I`ll also get the water system pressure tested this week.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Mayo is common on short journeys with these.
So is oil usage.
But HG issue not common at all I believe.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Unusually it doesn't use a drop of oil. It's coolant that it's losing. I hope I can find where it's going. Hate mysteries.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

You need to have a good look about. It's probably something plastic that's weeping. But might not do it hot. Only cool.. Or only hot. Or whilst cooling lol.
My audi only leaked when cooling.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks 4wheels.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I was losing coolant slightly a few years ago and found a very fine crack in the header tank. easily fixed with a replacement from ECP.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks mwpe. It's good to hear suggestions that don't mention CH. Some excellent thoughts to investigate.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Also check out your crank case ventilation system. It can get blocked in the hose that goes to the dip stick tube from lots of short run in cold winter conditions.
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, what did you find reference the water loss, hopefully a coolant pressure check reveled any faults.
H
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi Howard, Pressure of work has meant investigations are on hold. Mot is due in 6 weeks and I'm booked in at my local garage for some bits and bobs that need doing so it passes. He's going to do a pressure test while it's in. Hopefully some answers will be revealed. I'll update when I discover what's happening.