Helpful Tips?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Helpful Tips?

Post by Bonzo »

I changed Z3lda's engine oil and filter the other day. 7 litres of Castrol fully synthetic £59.98 inc VAT and delivery from Opie Oils. Bargain!

I always remember a tip given to me by an old timer tech way back in the dark ages. After removing the sump drain plug for an oil change, place it on the cap of the new oil container. Do that and you won't forget to fit it back before putting in the new oil. He also said before removing the drain plugs of the gearbox or diff, make sure you can undo the filler plugs first!

Many of us must have some quick tips to pass on. How about ;

Keeping a hair pin or piece of wire in the fuel cap recess, so that whenever you fill up you can check that the drain hole is clear.

When getting into the Z3 make sure you don't scuff the side bolster with your backside.

Okay, who's next?

:cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Helpful Tips?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Always wear stockings and suspenders in case you need to replace the fanbelt.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I keep a wire down the hole in the fuel recess, every refuel up I give it a wiggle
peter2b
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Always wear stockings and suspenders in case you need to replace the fanbelt.
I once thought a fanbelt was a female jockstrap. :shock:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

peter2b wrote:I keep a wire down the hole in the fuel recess, every refuel up I give it a wiggle
peter2b
That doesn't count! That tip has been mentioned before. :head: :dunce: Haven't you got any tips of your own? :shrug
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

As with my previous cars, I keep a needle pin pricked into the door rubber seal, usually near the hinges, as a handy tool to clear possible blockages in screenwash jets. It's simple, and any issue can then dealt with on the spot.

Boosh.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Not for z's but, I used to own an old MG Magnette which had an electric fuel pump at the side of the boot. The points on it used to sometimes stick causing the engine to splutter and stop. I used to have a spanner hanging in the boot by a string. When I could feel fuel stavation happening, a small jiggle of he steering wheel would cause the spanner to hit the fuel pump and restart it. (I eventually found some new points and replaced them).
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

To clean or replace the wiper blades, use the flick-wipe (short downward press of the stalk), then turn the ignition off as the wipers begin their downward stroke. You can then work on the wiper blades without them fouling on the bonnet. When you turn the ignition on again, they will park themselves.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Just remembered this. After you have filled up with new oil, remove the fuel pump fuses. Then you can prime the system by turning the engine over on the ignition key. :thumb:

:cheers

Bonzo
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Always duck tape a house brick to the boot, in case you lock the keys in the car.
There is never one around when you want to break the window

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Bonzo wrote:7 litres of Castrol fully synthetic £59.98 inc VAT and delivery from Opie Oils. Bargain!

You share my wife's idea of a bargain...
:shock:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

gookah wrote:
Bonzo wrote:7 litres of Castrol fully synthetic £59.98 inc VAT and delivery from Opie Oils. Bargain!

You share my wife's idea of a bargain...
:shock:
That not a good price then?
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Nick some of your significant other's E45 cream, massage it liberally into your leather seats and other leather bit on your Z. Leave it overnight to soak in then go over it with a microfibre to remove residue. I heard somewhere that the top leather guy at Aston Martin does this.

:cheers

Bonzo.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

I keep a ball point pen in the glove box, don't know why I am just like that ..... :wink:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Nick some of your significant other's E45 cream, massage it liberally into your leather seats and other leather bit on your Z. Leave it overnight to soak in then go over it with a microfibre to remove residue. I heard somewhere that the top leather guy at Aston Martin does this.
It was just on the news about the dangers of paraffin based creams like E45. Apparently, people have been rubbing them into themselves, having a cigarette and then bursting into flames. The residues can build up in fabrics causing them to become flammable. I dont personally think its much of a problem and I dont let anyone smoke in my Z anyway, but just keep the hood up on bonfire night.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Vic-Z3 wrote:I keep a ball point pen in the glove box, don't know why I am just like that ..... :wink:
I do the same, only gets used twice a year to alter the centre console clock.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

John Wilson wrote:
It was just on the news about the dangers of paraffin based creams like E45. Apparently, people have been rubbing them into themselves, having a cigarette and then bursting into flames. The residues can build up in fabrics causing them to become flammable. I dont personally think its much of a problem and I dont let anyone smoke in my Z anyway, but just keep the hood up on bonfire night.
They do say that smoking kills so they can't say they weren't warned :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Since having the zed I have learnt that quite often the jack wont go under the sill to get to the jacking point - especially if you have a flat and are using the factory one.... keep a number of thin planks under the boot mat. side by side they dont take up much boot room but on top of each other they are sufficient to lift the car enough to get the jack under.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

as swmbo doesn't fancy having a flat tyre on her lap just had the new front tyres fitted with ultraseal £48 had this stuff in for 4 years now and no flats

peterz3
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

peter2b wrote:as swmbo doesn't fancy having a flat tyre on her lap just had the new front tyres fitted with ultraseal £48 had this stuff in for 4 years now and no flats

peterz3
I was a big supporter of Ultraseal, bear in mind that the gel does clump after a while and will need to be replaced.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Gazza wrote:
peter2b wrote:as swmbo doesn't fancy having a flat tyre on her lap just had the new front tyres fitted with ultraseal £48 had this stuff in for 4 years now and no flats

peterz3
I was a big supporter of Ultraseal, bear in mind that the gel does clump after a while and will need to be replaced.
don't know how long you had yours in but after 4 years in mine were still ok, I did find that in very hot weather when I was at last year's Le mans my zed didn't move for 5 days till I packed up , when I got on the road up to 30 mph there was a lot of vibration for about 1/2 mile then as the gunge smoothed out it was fine
peterz3