Discs & Pads (to groove or not?)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Discs & Pads (to groove or not?)

Post by swabyk »

Hi Guys,
I have a 1999 1.9 Z3 that needs new discs and pads on all corners. Best price I can find on fleabay being £130.00. Couple of quick questions if I may;

Is it worth paying the extra £50 for drilled groove discs, or is this a waste of money on a 1.9?

For info, the car does about 1500 miles a year at most, its a Sunday summer car so I dont need super expensive discs/pads. Is £130 a decent price or do you have any other links?

Thanks in advance

£130 standard
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/02AZ5787-Mint ... Swx-9WywiB

£178 Drilled and Grooved
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-E36-7- ... u3s6xsinDA
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Discs & Pads (to groove or not?)

Post by g8jka »

Recently fitted the MTEC drilled and grooved discs on my 2.8, but I went with EBC Ultimax pads and they have improved the braking massively. Mine were only £110 for front and rear discs though from MTEC and the pads were about another £50. If you only do that many miles per year then it may not be worth it and it depends how you drive the car.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You may get an array of views on this. The 1.9 has solid discs back and front and so the holes have no practical function. If you had vented discs (which you haven’t) the modern trend has been to move away from drilled in any event as the bonding materials in modern pads does not give off the level of gases that used to be the case on older pads – hence the vents. The thinking nowadays is that apart from the aesthetics, the holes merely cause temperature differences across the braking service that can cause fractures.

A lot of track and performance discs still retain grooves – whether they are necessary for normal road use is debatable.
You show a Mintex product. Mintex was a good old name but has in recent years become part of TMD friction and is now (like Unipart) a budget product. Euro Car Parts budget brand Eicher is made at the same factory. The group’s premium brands are Textar and Pagid.

I would suspect you can get a cheaper price via Euro Car Parts internet sales arm Car Parts 4 Less – and get a premium brand like Pagid/Brembo/ATE

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, as a previous post suggested drilled discs might be a waste of money. It would be better to get quality discs/pads... Girling,Pagid or similar. Cheap pads are always a false economy in the long run.
H
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

you dont need holes or slots... there is then less metal to pad ratio... so its not worth it

you get more gains from pads... i put pagid ones in the front and they work fine... make sure the pads can move in the caliper! and the caliper can move (unlike mine were and only using one of the two pads!
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

oh and steel is steel.. you dont get any better friction from expensive ones... so buy the cheapest you can find (ebay for me)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

If you do go down the drilled discs route don't forget to let your insurance company know as it's classed as a modification so they will probably charge you extra.
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input! Superb :)
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

if you like a whirring noise everytime you brake, go for grooved.

otherwise - stick to plain. I would personally go for a brembo set which you can get from ebay at a decent price.

ive had bad experience of cheaper discs warping within a year.
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Recently put plain discs all round on my 1.9 and very pleased with them - did the handbrake shoes at the same time, which is operating great now. The only thing I think about grooved/drilled discs is that your pads will wear a lot quicker due to the cutting action of the gooves (until they get filled with brake pad/dust) - perhaps I'm wrong
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I have Pagid Discs and brakes on Zelda, ( 2.8,so ventilated front discs ) standard set up. I fitted EBC yellowstuff pads and new brake fluid. I noticed a good improvement in braking.

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.