Expensive problem still not fully resolved

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Expensive problem still not fully resolved

Post by Zed Carer »

Long story (hopefully) short:

1. Took the Z3 for Insp II plus new accelerator cable - had problem getting the new cable to seat at the throttle body (TB) so took the TB off fitted the cable and off I go home with the car running like a dream.

2. After 10 miles a trio of warning lights plus no / very intermittent power below 3000rpm - diagnosis after numerous attempts to clean the TB was a faulty Throttle Position Sensor so one new TB from BMW and everything OK except that the idle speed is now around 950 and not the previous 650.

3. Remove Idle Control Valve (ICV) and when power applied the motor runs but the ICV doesn't close, also when shaken the ICV rattles - so now one new ICV ordered. New one arrives as this also rattles when shaken the old one was put in a sonic cleaner overnight and put it back on the car - no change to the idle speed.

4. Fitted new ICV - no change to the idle speed.

5. Disconnect battery for 1/2 hour to see if the ECU will reset - no still at 950.

So the questions:
a. Can the idle speed be reset with INPA - the garage had some diagnostic kit (Snap On?) and although the option was on it to vary the idle speed it didn't make any difference.

b. Does anyone know if an intact working ICV rattles when shaken? Would not be the first time that a new part has actually had faults.

On the upside the car is flying and with the higher idle speed its almost impossible to stall.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Expensive problem still not fully resolved

Post by gookah »

the high idle speed is not just incorrect adjustment of the new cable is it? holding the throttle sightly open?
Funny all this has happened after the install of a cable..

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

gookah wrote:the high idle speed is not just incorrect adjustment of the new cable is it? holding the throttle sightly open?
Funny all this has happened after the install of a cable..
After fitting the new ICV we checked that the throttle was operating correctly before we put all the intake pipes back on, and there is the recommended small amount of slack in the cable.

It looks like removing and the refitting the throttle body has disturbed something that has interfered with the throttle position sensor (TPS) that unfortunately is part of the TB and can't be replaced separately. There have been warranty issues, mainly in the USA, with the wiring to the TPS and BMW did issue a revised part harness to dealers. The wiring was all thoroughly checked and we couldn't find anything wrong and it has been OK for nearly 18 years.

To be fair the garage that I use hasn't charged any labour for removing/cleaning/re-fitting the original ICV, or for fitting the new ICV - I've been using them for over 10 years and this is the first real problem we've come across.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The TPS is easy to see working correctly in diagnostics. Mine went faulty and I could see in INPA that the output was inconsistent and 'jerky'. I assume the garage read the fault codes - what codes were present?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

BladeRunner919 wrote:The TPS is easy to see working correctly in diagnostics. Mine went faulty and I could see in INPA that the output was inconsistent and 'jerky'. I assume the garage read the fault codes - what codes were present?
The fault codes all related to the operation of the TPS but we had the wiring checked first having read about the warranty claims in the USA, we also cleared the codes and took the car out but the faults came back within a couple of miles. The actual symptoms experienced - no / inconsistent power below 3000rpm are apparently typical of TPS faults as it interrupts the injection cycle. After fitting the new Throttle Body all the codes cleared, the car drives better then ever so the only issue now is resetting the idle speed.

We had assumed that after fitting the new ICV that the car would just reset to 650rpm but it hasn't. The kit the garage has can select the M52TU and has an option for increasing / decreasing the idle speed but no matter what we tried it remained high. We assumed (not a good thing to do) that the ICV was faulty because i) when we put power on the motor ran but the valve did not close; ii) when shaken it rattled as if something was loose. When the new one arrived it also rattled when shaken so firstly we cleaned and refitted my original ICV before changing to the new one. I am hoping that someone who has removed an ICV can confirm whether a working ICV rattles when shaken to see if the "new" one now fitted is actually faulty.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Forget Federal Warrantees and wiring, if you still have the new throttle body fitted then the ECU needs the new reference zero point and you must reset the throttle adaptions.
INPA can do this with your help on the throttle pedal in a few minutes but I'm not sure if any of the generic readers, including expensive kit like Snap On, will be able to do it.
If you intend keeping the car INPA is a really worthwhile investment for the cost of about an hour of labour at an indy.
Surprised your garage has not come across this before as it is fairly common on all brands of cars with electronics attached to the throttle but then I guess replacement of a throttle body is not common and not something to be undertaken lightly due to the cost as you have discovered.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote:Surprised your garage has not come across this before as it is fairly common on all brands of cars with electronics attached to the throttle but then I guess replacement of a throttle body is not common and not something to be undertaken lightly due to the cost as you have discovered.
The garage used to have INPA on an old laptop that packed up a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they can't find the discs as I could load it at home. Also a local member did have it and he is trying to find his discs so I can borrow them. One of the issues is that the M52TU is a "hybrid": there are no problems with throttle body as that is cable operated (no throttle adaptions) and working perfectly, the electronics are only for the idle control valve and it was expected that this should just have reset to the original default values but it hasn't.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Zed Carer wrote:
therealdb1 wrote: the electronics are only for the idle control valve and it was expected that this should just have reset to the original default values but it hasn't.

the M52tu indeed has a hybrid control,..... yes its cable throttle, but its an electronically controlled motorised throttle too, The electronics are used to not only control the asc to shut the throttle on rear wheel traction loss, but also used for cruise control settings.
Idle control I believe is simply on off, and not variable.

All these problems seem to stem from a cable change.... I am very cynical how all these 'extra problems/spend required' are now present.,

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

gookah wrote:
Zed Carer wrote:
therealdb1 wrote: the electronics are only for the idle control valve and it was expected that this should just have reset to the original default values but it hasn't.

the M52tu indeed has a hybrid control,..... yes its cable throttle, but its an electronically controlled motorised throttle too, The electronics are used to not only control the asc to shut the throttle on rear wheel traction loss, but also used for cruise control settings.
Idle control I believe is simply on off, and not variable.

All these problems seem to stem from a cable change.... I am very cynical how all these 'extra problems/spend required' are now present.,
The car had an Insp II plus a new cable, they had difficulty getting the new cable fully seated in the throttle body so, with me watching removed the throttle body and attached the cable. Set off home car driving better than ever then got the following warning lights:
ASC
EML
Engine Management
Plus intermittent power below 3000rpm
These are all in one way or another related to a throttle body / throttle position sensor fault, as were the fault codes read when I got back to the garage. It is very likely that something was disturbed when the throttle was removed to fit the cable - not unusual when older electronic parts are disturbed.

When the new throttle body was fitted the warning lights all went out straight away without any codes having to be deleted - i.e. the ASC automatically reset so the electronics in the TB for the ASC, etc are working fine and the car is now showing no fault codes. The only problem is the idle speed which is set in the ECU - there were options on the garages software to increase / decrease the idle speed but although the motor in the ICV was running there was no change to the idle speed.

The question I really need the answer to is "Does a fully operational ICV rattle when you shake it?" as I'm getting more convinced that the new ICV is actually faulty.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Trust me I have replaced a throttle body on a M52TU and a supercharged Jaguar (absolute nightmare on one of these!) and in both cases the car had a high idle until the throttle adaptions were set.
If you can get a copy of INPA for free what have you got to lose?

Procedure is:
Connect INPA
Turn off ignition for 30 seconds
Turn on ignition (do not start the engine)
Delete DME adaptions
Reset fault code memory
Press the throttle pedal fully to the floor 4 times
That's it!

I cannot remeber if INPA actually confirms the adaptions have been reset but because you have a new throttle body fitted the ECU does not know where fully closed and fully open throttle positions are and that is what you are telling it with this procedure.

Disconnect INPA, start the car and smile :D
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Yes the ICV rattle is normal.

Suggest you start with the accelerator cable. Check that it is installed and adjusted correctly.

Have seem a incorrectly installed cable at the throttle body on a M52TUB25 cause a high idle issue. The cable had been installed incorrectly at the mounting for the throttle body.

Then check that it is adjusted correctly. Best done with an inspection camera or mirror to check that the throttle body butterfly is closing properly.

If all of this checks out, then do the EMC accelerator range calibration as suggested.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

NZ00Z3 wrote:Yes the ICV rattle is normal.

Thanks for that even though it means I could probably have kept my old ICV but it was my choice to go with a new one having run the car for a week with the old one after it had been cleaned. Could swap them around again and get some cash back by selling the new one - one careful owner, only done 250 miles, full history, etc :)
NZ00Z3 wrote:Suggest you start with the accelerator cable. Check that it is installed and adjusted correctly.

Have seem a incorrectly installed cable at the throttle body on a M52TUB25 cause a high idle issue. The cable had been installed incorrectly at the mounting for the throttle body.

Then check that it is adjusted correctly. Best done with an inspection camera or mirror to check that the throttle body butterfly is closing properly.

If all of this checks out, then do the EMC accelerator range calibration as suggested.
It was a struggle getting the new accelerator cable installed which is why we took the throttle body off to get the ball on the end of the cable fully into the housing on the throttle body. We then tested the cable to ensure that the butterfly was closing and opening fully before adjusting it so there was a small amount of slack in the cable. Is there anything else we could / should of done? The car, which I've owned for 9 years, is driving fine - best throttle response ever!

As I said at the beginning long story short as the original fault was back on 13 March, we took a week to just reset codes, check electrics, etc before it became apparent that the Throttle Position Sensor was causing the fault codes. I decided to go with a BMW TB as this one has lasted almost 18 years but there was a 3 day order. Then the garage kept it for 4/5 days to see if they could sort out the high idle - none of this time was charged for. I've been using them for 10 years now for all 3 cars - when you pull in behind a 1986 Aston Martin waiting for its MoT you know that others trust them as well.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

gookah wrote: All these problems seem to stem from a cable change.... I am very cynical how all these 'extra problems/spend required' are now present.,
Not quite correct as nobody actually knows what caused the problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) as it started as an intermittent fault after the Throttle Body (TB) had been removed to make sure that the new cable was fitted correctly.

Yes - removing the TB may have disturbed the TPS, or the TPS may have been on the point of failing anyway nobody will ever know. We started by just resetting the codes, and then took a week checking the electrical connections, etc to ensure that a failed TPS was the correct diagnosis.

As for the ICV once the original one had been cleaned and refitted the garage said why not just leave it alone and we'll return the new one but after running the car for a week I decided to have the new ICV fitted - with hindsight the probably not the right choice but it was my decision.

Fortunately the only labour charges were for the Insp II and £65 for fitting the new TB for all the other work, a lot of which I did with them there was no labour charge.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote:Procedure is:
Connect INPA
Delete DME adaptions
Reset fault code memory
That's it!

I cannot remeber if INPA actually confirms the adaptions have been reset but because you have a new throttle body fitted the ECU does not know where fully closed and fully open throttle positions are and that is what you are telling it with this procedure.
Thanks for the instructions. Whilst waiting to see if I can get free access to INPA I've resurrected my old works laptop - they forgot to ask for it back when I retired 6 years ago. So far deleted loads of files so should have circa 25 to 30GB free. Its running a 6 year old version of XP and I don't particularly want to connect to the internet as there is no up to date anti-virus software so I've been looking at This Not sure if there any others that you think might be better?
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I suppose its not something simple like the regular problems of a split in one of the boots on the inlet side which developed through being disturbed with the original work?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

John Wilson wrote:I suppose its not something simple like the regular problems of a split in one of the boots on the inlet side which developed through being disturbed with the original work?
Unfortunately not, these were one of the first things checked after the fault first appeared - at the end of the week trying different things there was no doubt that it was a Throttle Position Sensor fault. As it is built into the Throttle Body it is an expensive item, there is an aftermarket alternative bit I chose to go with a BMW part as it wasn't that much more expensive. A few years ago I had the ABS pump fault and managed to get that sorted using a 2nd hand part for less than £200 so you win some you lose some.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

my opinion is that after removing the throttle body to fit the cable, the round plug was not fitted correctly resulting in all the codes and problems, A subsequent refit of a new TB saw it connected properly. I know from experience that it is a pig to get at, plug in and rotate fully.
I have removed loads of these and had no problems afterwards.. so have many others..
The garage probably realised but did not want to say. I would be asking for the old TB back and testing it.

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Zed Carer wrote:Thanks for the instructions. Whilst waiting to see if I can get free access to INPA I've resurrected my old works laptop - they forgot to ask for it back when I retired 6 years ago. So far deleted loads of files so should have circa 25 to 30GB free. Its running a 6 year old version of XP and I don't particularly want to connect to the internet as there is no up to date anti-virus software so I've been looking at This Not sure if there any others that you think might be better?
I'm running an even older setup for my INPA. Mine uses RS232 Serial Port.

My XP machine (which was upgraded from Windows 98) the INPA runs on is not connected to the internet. INPA usually comes on a CD or DVD, so your only worry is virus checking the supplied software using an up-to-date virus checker.

The cars are 15 to 20 years old, so there's no reason to use software or hardware any newer than 2002 :wink:
Pingu
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

gookah wrote:my opinion is that after removing the throttle body to fit the cable, the round plug was not fitted correctly resulting in all the codes and problems, A subsequent refit of a new TB saw it connected properly. I know from experience that it is a pig to get at, plug in and rotate fully.
I have removed loads of these and had no problems afterwards.. so have many others..
The garage probably realised but did not want to say. I would be asking for the old TB back and testing it.
I hear what you are saying but the connection to the old throttle body was reconnected numerous times as we were trying to identify the actual problem.

After I left the garage there were no problems until after about 10 miles the warning lights came up when I was pulling away from a set of lights and the car went into limp mode. When I got back to the garage we read the codes, cleared all the codes, removed, inspected and refitted the TB and then I took it out again only got about 2 miles before the warning lights came up so back to the garage, read and cleared codes removed the TB again and so on. We ended up doing this 3 more times before I got the train back home. Over the next couple of days they removed the TB again and when I went back the electrician was checking all the wiring in the harness and the plug again and also checked when the plug was free and when it was connected. So given the number of times it was disconnected / reconnected it would be very unlikely that it was connected incorrectly every time and then suddenly connected correctly. The whole process took just over a week to make sure that everything was checked before a new TB was ordered. I don't have to ask for the old TB as replaced parts are returned automatically unless you say that you don't want them.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Zed Carer wrote:I've been looking at This
That is the sort of thing that you need. It is similar to what I have.
You will find that some modules are in the E36 section but others might be in the E39 section depending on which revision of the software you get and how your car decides to play ball.
Just make sure that you get a version that is in English, unless you are fluent in technical German! :?
Also make sure you get the adaptor to fit the circular Pacman connector under the bonnet as shown in the photo from your link.
You need to connect under the bonnet to access all of the modules in your car, the only module available from the rectangular OBDII socket under the steering wheel is the DME which is the one you need for this job but if you are going to acquire INPA you might as well get the full package in one hit.
Your laptop will be fine. It does not need an internet connection or be particularly high specification.
Just check the disc for viruses on another machine which does have up to date security before using them to install the software on your laptop.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote:
Zed Carer wrote:I've been looking at This
That is the sort of thing that you need. It is similar to what I have.
Hi and thanks for the advice. I've just ordered the complete package with the 20pin adapter for the Z3 but hopefully once I get used to it I'll be able to use the OBD 16pin on the Z4 as well.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Any luck with your INPA?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote:Any luck with your INPA?
I've got all the kit but had problems loading it onto my old works laptop, in the end it looks like the IT department had disabled quite a few bit and pieces so I can get INPA to load but nothing more. Currently looking to get / borrow an alternative laptop, we have a local enterprise that sells refurbished computers and hopefully I can pick up a reasonable laptop with Windows 7 for around £75. I'll update when I reach the next stage.
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DanHolman »

Compression Leak/ air leak?

---un-metered air into the engine effectively causing an unbalance (via the mass air flow MAF sensor) in the computer system which can produce fast idle---

---Did you use a new gasket set as recommended when the TB was reinstalled?---
Were the studs torqued to correct spec?
Was the rubber intake boot cracked on removal/installation?
Check all hoses
CHECK WHOLE SYSTEM FOR POSSIBILITY OF AN AIR LEAK.
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DanHolman »

You could try resetting adaptions in INPA.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

If you read the thread I suggested that 9 hours after the original post on 14th April.

You will also see that the OP is having problems getting his INPA to function so we have to wait for him to beg, borrow or buy a suitable laptop and report back.

Is there no one in his area that can assist a zeder in distress?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote:If you read the thread I suggested that 9 hours after the original post on 14th April.

You will also see that the OP is having problems getting his INPA to function so we have to wait for him to beg, borrow or buy a suitable laptop and report back.

Is there no one in his area that can assist a zeder in distress?
Finally an update!!!!! I had been using the Zed occasionally even with the high idle speed but had to stop a week or so ago when it started the "Tappet Rattle" - it did it for a short time before the TPS was replaced but it settled down fairly quickly but its more persistent this time.

I have finally sourced a Win7 Laptop, loaded INPA, connected it to the car and INPA connected straightaway - all good so far. Chose Shift+F6 for older, then E36 M52 New Engine and INPA read the cars VIN, etc so ran error code memory and cleared the 2 errors found - not sure what they were as although all the menus, etc ahown on EBay are in English the errors are reported in German. Started the engine and could read live data and ran error code memory again and it was clear. I couldn't immediately see anything about DME Adaptions so would grateful if you can give me any pointers as the engine is now sounding a bit rough.

To be honest the Zed was not top of my agenda for a few weeks as golf has now taken over again 1 First Place, 2 Seconds so far with cash prices (not very big ones) for each one but every bit helps.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

You can get INPA and links to the cable suppliers here. I did that just weeks ago and have it up and running :) . Just down load all the software and instructions for free. It includes TIS. I am running it on Win10 64 through USB.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... imentation

Cheers,

Cooper
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Rough idle, a mysterious rattle and inconsistent running above/below the 3000 rpm threshold - I'd put a "possible" Vanos problem under the spotlight - lots of videos on YouTube giving examples of symptoms etc.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind but not sure that the symptoms fit - see comments:
Del wrote:Rough idle - No the idle is smooth and consistent its just higher at 900/950 than the original 650sh
, a mysterious rattle - not sure that its mysterious as I've had tappet rattle before but a second oil change cured it will probably do that again.
and inconsistent running above/below the 3000 rpm threshold - again the running is consistent, no hesitation, surges, etc.
I'd put a "possible" Vanos problem under the spotlight - lots of videos on YouTube giving examples of symptoms etc.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

therealdb1 wrote: Fri 14 Apr, 2017 23:10 Trust me .....
Procedure is:
Connect INPA
Delete DME adaptions
Reset fault code memory
That's it!

I cannot remember if INPA actually confirms the adaptions have been reset but because you have a new throttle body fitted the ECU does not know where fully closed and fully open throttle positions are and that is what you are telling it with this procedure.

Disconnect INPA, start the car and smile :D
Finally managed to get a fully working copy of INPA and can confirm that the above instructions do work and the idle speed has reduced so many thanks to therealdb1 for all his help.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Now starting to look at other issues:

The Tappet Rattle - took the car for a long run and then followed the BMW bleeding procedure (3 mins @ 3000rpm) but it doesn't seem to have made any real difference. No new fault codes, all VANOS values well within tolerances. Slight random Rough Running on cylinders 5 & 6 with occasional peak values of +1.2 before dropping back within tolerance - range is -1 to +1.

When using INPA I've noticed that something is running when the ignition is on in Position II but the engine has not been started. It sounds like it's coming from the area of the ICV / Throttle Body but I really need to investigate a bit more. I'm assuming (not a very clever thing to do) that nothing like that would start up before starting the engine? I've made sure that heater, air-con, etc are all turned off.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Zed Carer wrote: Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:44 Now starting to look at other issues:
When using INPA I've noticed that something is running when the ignition is on in Position II but the engine has not been started. It sounds like it's coming from the area of the ICV / Throttle Body but I really need to investigate a bit more. I'm assuming (not a very clever thing to do) that nothing like that would start up before starting the engine? I've made sure that heater, air-con, etc are all turned off.
Now had a closer look and it is the motor in the ICV that is running with the ignition in Position II - presumably this is normal as it is getting ready for the engine start? It stays on for about 10 seconds after the ignition has been turned off. If this is not normal, and it is fault with the ICV, then as I had a new ICV with a 1 year warranty fitted I can hopefully get this replaced.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Mine makes a buzzing sound when I turn the ignition to position II and it carries on for maybe 20 seconds after I turn the ignition off again. AFAIK it has always done this, so I would say that it was normal.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mine too.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Thanks Robert T and BladeRunner919 for the confirmation that the ICV starting up is normal. I'm waiting to hear from the garage when I can take the car, laptop and INPA over so we can investigate and hopefully solve the Tappety Sound.