WANTED: Z3 Engine M44 1.9 140bhp

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

WANTED: Z3 Engine M44 1.9 140bhp

Post by Robin82 »

After head gasket failure and taking the advice off a few of the guys on this forum I've decided to replace the engine.

Looking for a Z3 engine - M44 1.9 140bhp in full running order and in good condition, the lower the mileage the better.

Thanks
R
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: WANTED: Z3 Engine M44 1.9 140bhp

Post by mrscalex »

You should be able to pick up a whole MOT failed/accident damaged car for around £500. Of course your issue is getting it home. £100-£250 ish in transporter fees. Still, if you need a few other bits it might be worth thinking about.

You also have the option of getting one from an E36 3 Series. According to realoem the engines are identical. Unlike an M54 where the sumps are different.

There's plenty around. I'd be inclined to pay a little more for a lower mileage one. But certainly try and get one under 100k. Preferably no more than 80k.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

mrscalex wrote:You should be able to pick up a whole MOT failed/accident damaged car for around £500. Of course your issue is getting it home. £100-£250 ish in transporter fees. Still, if you need a few other bits it might be worth thinking about.

You also have the option of getting one from an E36 3 Series. According to realoem the engines are identical. Unlike an M54 where the sumps are different.

There's plenty around. I'd be inclined to pay a little more for a lower mileage one. But certainly try and get one under 100k. Preferably no more than 80k.
Hi mate, thanks for the advice.

To make 100% sure I'd be getting the right engine and that all the parts will fit is there anything I can use to cross reference the models/numbers? I see there are plenty of e36 M44 engines and majority are from 3 series.

Cheers
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I know you said that Woking was too far, but I have various engines you can come and hear run, then take away for a sensible price. Mrscalex and i have dealt in engines before ourselves, if you are interested let me know.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd seriously consider taking Andy up on the idea to go to Woking and see what he's got. It might be a bit of a trek, but well worth it for the peace of mind of knowing you're getting a good engine from someone with a great reputation. I'd much rather that than buy an engine from some random person and the first time you see it is when it rocks up on a pallet.

As an aside, when you do get an engine, wherever from, I would strongly recommend that you do a cooling system refresh on it before reinstalling, or at the very least change the plastic elbow that is at the back of the head - it's a bugger to get to with the engine in the car, and has to be fitted 'blind' because you can't see it.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robin82 wrote:
mrscalex wrote:You should be able to pick up a whole MOT failed/accident damaged car for around £500. Of course your issue is getting it home. £100-£250 ish in transporter fees. Still, if you need a few other bits it might be worth thinking about.

To make 100% sure I'd be getting the right engine and that all the parts will fit is there anything I can use to cross reference the models/numbers? I see there are plenty of e36 M44 engines and majority are from 3 series.

Cheers
You need the last 7 digits of your VIN. Enter them into the realoem.com website. That will give you a parts catalogue bespoke to your car. Go into engines. You can click on the replacement engine part and it will tell you all models that share the part.

Bladerunner beat me to it but have a chat with spursfan and see if you can work something out. He's only going to sell you a good engine. If you can't work something out try the big BMW breaker in Kent I mentioned in your other thread.

You may find cheaper, I was trying to give a 150k engine away recently and couldn't. But it's about finding the right mileage and right provenance. For a few extra quid it's worth the peace of mind. You will be swearing like a trooper and hating Z3s for ever more if you drop a duff engine in.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

You may want to have a look at my M54 engine swap I'm doing currently. The M54 is a much bigger engine so I'm going to greater lengths to extract it easily by dismantling the front of the car. But that would give you the easiest access on any Z3.

I've had the subframe/steering/suspension out on mine but just removing the front panel will help you greatly.

https://zroadster.org/threads/2-2-engin ... ect.17379/
ImageImage
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

Where abouts are you based robin?

Are you going to be doing the engine swap yourself or getting someone to do it?

If you need someone, then I could do the job and get the engine from Andy if you want!

Kaz
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'd seriously consider taking Andy up on the idea to go to Woking and see what he's got. It might be a bit of a trek, but well worth it for the peace of mind of knowing you're getting a good engine from someone with a great reputation. I'd much rather that than buy an engine from some random person and the first time you see it is when it rocks up on a pallet.

As an aside, when you do get an engine, wherever from, I would strongly recommend that you do a cooling system refresh on it before reinstalling, or at the very least change the plastic elbow that is at the back of the head - it's a bugger to get to with the engine in the car, and has to be fitted 'blind' because you can't see it.
mrscalex wrote:
Robin82 wrote:

Cheers
You need the last 7 digits of your VIN. Enter them into the realoem.com website. That will give you a parts catalogue bespoke to your car. Go into engines. You can click on the replacement engine part and it will tell you all models that share the part.

Bladerunner beat me to it but have a chat with spursfan and see if you can work something out. He's only going to sell you a good engine. If you can't work something out try the big BMW breaker in Kent I mentioned in your other thread.

You may find cheaper, I was trying to give a 150k engine away recently and couldn't. But it's about finding the right mileage and right provenance. For a few extra quid it's worth the peace of mind. You will be swearing like a trooper and hating Z3s for ever more if you drop a duff engine in.
spurs fan in a coupe wrote:I know you said that Woking was too far, but I have various engines you can come and hear run, then take away for a sensible price. Mrscalex and i have dealt in engines before ourselves, if you are interested let me know.
I didn't realise I had all these reply's!! Well after being convinced that swapping the engine was the best way to go (and I'd have probably done that had I seen these post's in time - doh!) a chap living local to me, that I'd got chatting to in the pub offered to replace my head gasket and skim the head for £550 cash. After being without the Zed for a month and struggling to find an engine at the time I went with it.

It's now fully fixed and running sooth as ever- probably due to the 2 engine sensors that were replaced at the same time (crank and cam), as well as a new thermostat which the mechanic kindly fitted at cost!

Thanks for the offer Spurs fan and all your advice mrscalex/Bladerunner919. This forum is such a great source of support and knowledge. Cheers!

(I have a completely different issue off the back of this - the alarm keeps sounding when parked up - but I'll post that in the other forum)
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

sebring wrote:Where abouts are you based robin?

Are you going to be doing the engine swap yourself or getting someone to do it?

If you need someone, then I could do the job and get the engine from Andy if you want!

Kaz
Hi sebring - I didn't see your post in time, thanks for the offer anyway.