OBC reading in Km not Miles

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

OBC reading in Km not Miles

Post by 007 »

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows how to change my OBC from reading Km back to Miles. Every thing works OK, Time, Temp but reads Km on the rest of the info.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Cheers. :rtm:
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: OBC reading in Km not Miles

Post by alec.m »

Hi, I came across this YouTube video a while back showing you how to access the hidden functions in the obc. While it doesn`t mention your issue it only shows how to see a couple of functions, there are many more. It might be worth following the instructions to get in and see what else there is there. Hope this helps. Alec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BMYs6qKk2o

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Hi Alec,

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff how to access in ways in which you would not think about. My car has the problem with the remote OBC which sits in the center console not in the speedo area.
Cheers
Simon.
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi Simon, You`re welcome. I can`t remember ever seeing your issue posted anywhere so it must be rare. Google brings up nothing however you phrase the question. Maybe it`s something that can only be changed by using the complicated software some here have on a laptop. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a moment? Might be worth a try. Alec

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Hi,
The story thus far is....when i purchased the car back in 2009 the OBC never worked, so the other day i asked if someone had a spare unit.......yes i found a working unit and purchased it from someone on the forum.
As i said everything works just the Km is bugging me. You said disconnect the battery, this is a trick i have heard of but in my case the OBC was disconnected for a long time before i purchased it so i don't think disconnecting it again will do it. :(

I think connecting it to a Laptop might be the way forward, i will have to see. To be honest its not that much of an issue, being without for 8 years now but having a working clock and temp is a big step forward!! :D

Like you say not much posted on the subject so it cannot be a hot topic, i will keep playing and surfing the net, something might turn up :roll: if you hear of anything i would love to hear about it.

Cheers for now.
Simon
ImageImage
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

It's a strange one. There must be some way of doing it as these cars will go to markets that use km. Can't see there being a separate ECU s for different countries. Good luck.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Maybe this thread will help? http://www.bmwe36blog.com/bmw-on-board- ... crets.html

Regards

Mod Edit: Link fixed.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not sure any of that will help. The Instrument Cluster Self-Test Mode is fully documented in the knowledgebase for both cluster types used on the Z3 here.

The OBC described above is not the same as the one used on the Z3 - it describes buttons which the Z3 variant simply does not have.

To my knowledge, the OBC has to be coded to the car, which I presume sets the country code and engine variant so that it can work properly. I've not done this, so I can't say how one goes about it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

E30 how to on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ituSvaQIbGk is that any good to figure out yours?
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Thanks guys for all the info, I will have a look when i get a moment :rtm:
ImageImage
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Hi
The DIY's and How To's for the other models (non E36/7 or E36/8) do not address our OBC.

Played with the OBC (round version) in my 2000 Z3 today.

There are 5 functions that you can access.

- Hold both buttons down until 1 shows on the screen.
- Use the Indicator stick end button to scroll through the functions.

1) 12/24 hour clock
2) Pixel check
3) Fuel consumption calibration, range 750 to 1,250, normal setting is 1,000.
4) LSP with alarm check.
5) Degrees C/F.

Checked the drawings and there is wiring to the data link plug. Tried to access the OBC with INPA Version 5 and neither OBC's listed under E36 would access the unit. Looks like there may be special software required for our Z3 OBC.

Hope this helps

Muzz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

I'm so surprised a simple thing is so difficult to change. I will have a pay myself this weekend, but if it gets to tough I will have to leave it be.
Cheers guys.
ImageImage
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i would have thought maybe dealer or good independant would have the software to read the obc and maybe set it back to miles...if you are on facebook check out summerhayes garage

https://www.facebook.com/summerhayesgarage/

have a chat to Chloe say that Alun on the forum recommended them.... if you can get hold of Greg he is the master technician with them they are an independant garage but i pretty sure they have all the software inpa and the stuff for mapping, obd reading etc... so maybe they can suggest on what to do it may be case of send it to them to get it coded to yours car

hope this helps Al...
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

My advice - buy this for £25 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-Co ... 6016.l4276

I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to sort the one you have and will end up spending far more than £25 trying to sort it.