Wheel Arch Repairs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wheel Arch Repairs

Post by Rocketbike »

Any thoughts on wheel arch repairs. My rear arches on the Z3 are starting to go, not terrible yet, but just getting rusty on the lips under the arch, and a mark about an inch long showing through the body, more discolouration at the moment. The car is really tidy, 19 years old, but a 100k 1.9 and not worth a lot. Great fun and reliable, so just want to see it make 20 or 21 really. I've tried doing DIY painted arch repairs before, and they just look bad, and the cars not really worth spending too much more on to have it done professionally. I'm thinking of attacking it all a bit with a sander and rustproofer to slow it all down a bit, and covering it with thick bitumous paint and putting some wheel arch trims on to cover the mess. I've seen some on ebay in satin stainless that might look OK - ish!
Anybody done anything similar, tried wheel arch trims, or got any other, cheap DIY solutions
Thanks
rayman

blank

Re: Wheel Arch Repairs

Post by rayman »

The rust will be worse if you take the wheel arch liners out to have a full look at the extent of the rust. I was offered two facelift rust free wings for only £100 the pair. You can get wings from Ebay and if you scratch around will get ones in the same colour. Trying to do the work yourself will look terrible
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Probably going to be cost effective in getting used wings as suggested by Rayman less hassle than repairing yours.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I had some unpleasant rust on one of my rears (the petrol cap side) due to both age and an imperfect filler/repair sometime in the past. I managed to get an immaculate rear wing from a breaker, in the same 1.9, pre-facelift narrow body Arctic Silver for £60. Like colb I fitted new BMW outer sills and removed the front quarter panels (the other panels that can rust where they meet the sills) and treated the rear with Por 15 rust proofing paint.

If your rust is perforating through to the front surface, panel renewal will be cheaper. For rust around the inside edge of the wing you can remove the wing, clean and rub down and treat with something like POR 15 and even paint the inside edge of the wing the same colour as the black Por 15.
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I can just unbolt and replace the rear panels, no welding. Is that right? If it is thats what I'll do
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes, the rear wings bolt on and off and are pretty straight forward to change.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

All the panels bolt on/off. Involves a bit of faffing around and perhaps help with another pair of hands when it comes to lining up the rear etc - but all very do-able for DIYers like me. Best to work under cover or in dry weather and just take your time - some of the bolts holding the sills in place can get quite rusty but they're all available from BMW (galvanised) - we renewed a few.
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Brilliant - thanks for that. Now looking for a good pair of wings in I think Artic Silver! :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The catch is it's not that easy finding pre-facelift rear wings or sill covers without rust. And when you do you need them to be in your colour or you're looking at spraying. Rust free and your colour, probability not so good. Nice pair with no serious paint faults...

The wings rayman mentioned were from me but they are facelift. Even facelift are not that easy to find rust free.

I will have a pair of pre-facelift widebody rear wings (and sill covers) arriving next week which appear to be rust free but I think as mentioned above you have a narrow body? They are in Montreal Blue.

The compromise to me is to take the opportunity to buy a pair of rust free wings regardless of colour and to get them resprayed. If you can find a decent back street bodyshop they might be able to do it for about £250 if they don't blend into the adjacent panels. You can scrub the old paint off in seconds with a strip and clean wheel in an angle grinder. That will also enable you to make sure there isn't any hidden small rust spots and to treat accordingly with Jenolite etc. A quick blow over with epoxy primer to protect the bare metal is easy enough and if you don't get it on quite right the body shop can correct it.

That said, if you are in no hurry and not looking to spend more I would hold out for now to see if you can get the right colour/condition wheels.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks for that. Matches my thoughts having a quick look at whats available. It is a narrow body and I'm not desperate (most of what I have seen from a quick look are a lot worse than mine) so I'll be looking out for the best stuff I see. Don't mind getting it sprayed if it's a long lasting repair. I just know from my old Rover days I'd just be wasting time and money now the ones I have are starting to go.