How do you remove the undertray?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

How do you remove the undertray?

Post by DanHolman »

Hi All,

How difficult is it to remove the under tray? Has anyone tried it? I'm replacing the fuel filter.
Last edited by DanHolman on Sat 13 May, 2017 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: How do you remove th eundertray?

Post by Brian4 »

Easy enough to do. Best if you jack and support the filter side of the car or lift onto ramps. There are quite a few fixings 6 or 8 I think to remove and the the cover comes off passenger side. And a container to catch the fuel in the filter. If you start to car and the remove the fuel pump fuse the engine will run out of fuel but most of the pressure will be released from the fuel lines.
When starting after changing the filter it takes quite a while to fill the filter up again.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: How do you remove the undertray?

Post by DanHolman »

Got you. One query; I've just jacked up the car to take a look and it seems that the under tray is all one piece (2 big halves) that separate laterally by releasing two big bolts just forward of the wheels (plus the others of course all around the sides) . I hope I'm missing something. Is mine an older model with this tray type? were they changed to more easily access the filter? Does a section come off over the filter then on yours?

update: After research; mine has a gearbox under tray bolted to the engine under tray, maybe some models don't have this? guess I've just got to get on with it and undo the thing.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My 1998 1.9 (M44 engine) has a large undertray which joins a small front undertray under the radiator area. It stretches to the rear of the gearbox and just covers the aluminium fuel filter canister on the passenger side (UK). This tray is a bit of a pain to remove :(

You need to remove the undertray to do jobs like changing the gearbox oil, bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, replacing the metal exhaust shackle at the gearbox which commonly rusts away, not forgetting the fuel filter which you wish to do. :lol:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My 3.0 does not appear to have an undertray. Should there be one?
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

My 3.0i didn't have one although a small tray was fitted at the front. However I fitted a large tray which covers everything as far back as the steering rack. I think the tray was originally for a 2.0.
Flight
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The fuel filter is at the back of the car, so you don't need to remove the undertray anyway.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

A full undertray sounds like a good idea.

Can anybody give me a part number of the undertray that will fit my 3.0? Looking underneath l currently have the front one.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

wold be good to see some more pictures of this.. i took my radiator fan off today, electric fan m44 1.9 engine 1998 z3, i was flushing the coolant and it was easier with the electric fan out the way.. i really want to give the inside of the undertray a good clean as its covered in oil and crap. looks terrible, also have some other cleaning jobs to do while i am at it... done the power steering reservoir tonight this needs a flush, and the auxilliery belts coul do with some attention...

is this easy to do with a jack and axle stands..?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

handsomejackuk wrote:
It's just a few bolts. I took the front undertray off my car just by reaching underneath with a socket wrench.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
handsomejackuk wrote:
It's just a few bolts. I took the front undertray off my car just by reaching underneath with a socket wrench.
thanks i have a good look under it next time i in the garage, just its so low i thought i may have needed to jack up the front to get the tray off...
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

To get underneath mine I run the front up on a pair of car ramps, mine just has enough clearance to get it on the ramps. Same for getting under the rear.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i need to get a pair of ramps.. they just so handy....