Manual Locking problem (central locking)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Manual Locking problem (central locking)

Post by dazthephot »

I've had to fit the third central locking actuator to the drivers door. Mainly because I've bought from breakers yards but the last one is a Chinese copy part, new for £24.

For some reason i can't activate the central locking by turning the key in the drivers door but i can still activate it from the boot.

Up to now I've traced continuity through from the door key turn micro switch up to the junction block in the door pillar so no breaks. I can hear the micro switch engaging (clicking) and i get the closed loop sound (continuity) on my multi meter when i turn it but it still doesn't activate the lock.
There are no fuse issues and the locks activate as they should using the button on the key (not keyfob, actual bmw key)

Any ideas?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Manual Locking problem (central locking)

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd be looking for a problem with the wiring in the boot loom. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34807
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'd be looking for a problem with the wiring in the boot loom. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34807
Thanks kind sir, i will.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Update to this. I'm 99% certain it's the drivers door lock micro switch that's jiggered. I've had the bloody door lock out 3 times now and I'm not doing it again. The doors all lock as they should using the key remote, if that fails the boot lock activates it all too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume you've checked that the rod between the lock barrel and the door switch is attached?
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Yes. Had it all apart again yesterday. I seem to remember that when the battery is disconnected you can turn the key in the lock and lock the car. That doesn't happen now, I can unlock but not lock. Mechanical issue???

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

dazthephot wrote:Yes. Had it all apart again yesterday. I seem to remember that when the battery is disconnected you can turn the key in the lock and lock the car. That doesn't happen now, I can unlock but not lock. Mechanical issue???

You should be able to lock and unlock that door with the key, so seems to be pointing to a mechanical issue.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Bugger I thought as much. I'm loathe to take it apart again but I might have to. Would you believe I had a spare too sitting in my garage for a couple of years, binned it recently.