Alarm problems - tilt sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Alarm problems - tilt sensor

Post by dazthephot »

What a palaver. Hissed it down all night and set the ridiculous alarm going every time you looked at the car wrong.
Couldn't turn it off, couldn't pull the fuses, all the while I'm getting soaked and er indoors is panicking cos she will be late for work.

Anyway

A dry day and some fault finding. After a little mooch on here I decided to check the n/s/r boot well. Absolutely topped up with the tilt sensor submerged. I took it out and left it all to dry then whilst waiting I swapped out the faulty central door locking module from the drivers door. Cheap Chinese one for £24 so will follow up on that if it don't last.

Couple of hours and all dry again, bit of WD for good measure. Put it all back and locked up with fingers crossed. All good.

Er nope. 1 hr later alarm going off much to the dismay of my neighbours so I've pulled the wires and left it. No alarm going off. Job done perhaps.

I've ordered a second hand one from a 5 series for £5 from fleabay. They're all the same part aren't they?

Will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alarm problems - tilt sensor

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you put the part number into realoem you can see what other models had the same one.

Where do you think the water came in? 3rd brakelight is a favourite!
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

I'm thinking more the perished rubber bung at the base of the aerial. I've ordered one of those too, £10. Having said that, the right side battery well had water in it too so who knows.
These cars aren't very well sealed mind you and definitely not built for UK downpours. It could have come through where the rear wings seems meet the cross bar.

I will check the part number though thanks, i can't see why they would be different across the models as it's just an inclinometer.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you can't find the source of the leak I'd suggest pulling all the carpet out and liberally dusting talcum powder around the boot. That way you can see the tracks of any water in the talc, helping to identify the source.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Good plan. There was a lot of water in the well, at least a litre. The well on the right side had a bit of water in it so did the battery tray but not as much as the near side which makes me look straight to the aerial mount.
I've recently had the rear bumper replaced and I noticed condensation in the light units. I wonder if that's related

dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Do you think the water is coming in here? Should there be some sort of mastic seal here? I think I'll start a new thread with this. Image

dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Alarm problems - tilt sensor - update

Post by dazthephot »

Update on this.
Ordered one from flebay, one from an e46 3 series for £4.45. Looked the same, felt the same, it's the same! Plugged it in, no problems so far and i figured out why the previous waterlogged one was triggering the alarm after drying out. Pin 3 had rusted and disintegrated.
Problem solved.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Same on ours but also pin 3 in the plug had corroded so just check yours hasn't. Pin 3 is the 12v feed to the sensor.

Regards the leak ours also leaks around the area you pointed out and finds it's way into the well so I removed the rubber bung in the base of the well so it just drains away now. I haven't found how the water finds it way in as I will probably have to remove the wing to see if anything is missing underneath.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Ah good point I didn't think to check that. Mind you the alarm hasn't gone off but I will check.
I pierced that little rubber bung and put a small piece of pipe through it with a pin to hold it in place so now the highest any water can go is about 5mm. Next heavy rainfall I'll check it again. Fingers crossed.

dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Ah balls. Just when I thought all was fixed. A heavy rainfall filled the corner well and set off the alarm again. Therefore it must be the third brake light that's leaking as I've replaced the aerial grommet.
I also found a broken corroded wire on the tilt sensor plug so I need to replace that.
Anyone know if you can get the pins or a new plug?