Wet Carpet

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wet Carpet

Post by z3ddie »

Leading on from my thread looking for a replacement set of carpet kindly sold to me my mrscalex this week was the weather window I was waiting for.

The saga of getting the new ones in is well doc'd on here so wont bore you with that, apart from it is a tad like hard work. However.....

I took the seats out and got cracking on pulling the old damp affected one, mainly in the driver side due to a roof leak and me being away for most of last year, the amount of water under them astounded me and what had soaked into the carpet backing acoustic foam was so much I could hardly lift it.

With this blazing hot weather I pressed out as much as I could and have had them sitting in direct sunlight for 3 days and they are still giving out lots of moisture.

Therefore the moral of my tale is I really do not think anyone can dry the carpets out fully once you have had a BAD leak, better to bite the bullet and get some upcycled ones.

Nice to have it done for the hot spell though
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Wet Carpet

Post by colb »

If you can access a wet and dry vacuum it might pay to give them a good suck to help get the water out a bit quicker then dry in the sun. Don't use a hot air gun the carpet can melt.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

To be honest they were beyond recovery - mould and mildew - so had to go the hard route - tried the wet vac first of all but they were so sodden they were destined for landfill
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Mine dried out fully when removed. No mildew etc. Have you tested car with roof up and carpets out to confirm you solved issues with leaks etc? ie, vapour barriers, the bolts securing the roof to body, seals externally, drain points etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk