Icarsoft

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Icarsoft

Post by Rodent »

I bought an icarsoft BMII code reader this week, it's one of the 2nd generation type. I plugged it in under the steering wheel and all seemed well as when I used the OBDII function (just reads engine codes) it worked just fine, bringing up a few non critical codes.
However, when I went into the BMW specific functions, it says it cannot connect to the car!
Is anyone familiar with these code readers, and can help me out?
Thanks
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Icarsoft

Post by colb »

OBD2 socket under dash will only read engine module, need to plug in to the round pacman diagnostic socket in the engine bay to read other modules. You need to get a obd to bmw round cable to connect to your code reader.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-OBD2-20-P ... BTtb2oO1zg
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Well documented on here that the OBDII connector is only connected to the DME.
Take a look at some of the posts by RobertT who has posted many items about diagnostics and connections.
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Thanks, I've got the cable ordered. I did try searching on here but my search for 'icarsoft' didn't turn up much. DME is a term I was not familiar with as I have only been a bmw owner for 1 week. I noticed that although the round plug under the bonnet has about 20 spaces for wires, only 9 of them are actually wired
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Sounds about right not all positions in the round socket are wired but with the round to OBD cable you will access all modules.
You might consider adding a B800 Airbag code reader to your wish list http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbag-Reset- ... SwYmZXLGVe

Comes with the round to obd cable as it has to be plugged into the pacman socket should have mentioned it before you ordered the cable on its own.

You can also get a service light reset tool on ebay for little money or use a paperclip to short out a couple of connections in the pacman socket. Full details on the forum if you do a search.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-To ... SwJ4hY-X~Y
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

DME is Digital Motor Electronics or the engine management module.
Are you surprised that the Pacman connector only has 9 pins connected? The OBDII connector under the steering wheel has 16 pins but only 7 of them are needed for generic OBDII.
Personally I think that the round 20 pin Pacman is a superior connector as you can do things with it using a paper clip if necessary but modern mechanics do not like looking under bonnets because it is dirty and smelly under there they would much rather sit in your drivers seat with a nice clean compact connector inside the car :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

just curious have got a cable elm327 which i use with my laptop, and 20 pin to 16 pin obd cable, this works great for clearing dtc's.

I have ordered a bluetooth and a wifi elm327 as i want to get android torque app running inside the car but i dont have internal obd port. 1998 m44 Z3

I was going to hard wire the bluetooth elm327, or use the 20 pin to 16 pin plug with the top bit taken off as its too big to shut the bonnet...

is there any other way of getting an internal obd port easily to my car ?

also the pacman type top plug shorts out certain pins why is this ?

looking to eventually build an arduino diagnostic computer with an led display probably winter project....
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

ohhhh, also was going to ask the additional pins on the 20 pin connector i see one is copmressor, and a comprssor delay pin. can i manually operate the ac compressor in any way here to dagnose my ac compressor...?
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

So, my pacman adaptor arrived today and after connecting it to my icarsoft bmii i plugged it all into the car. All looked good and i scrolled through the menu's to find the ABS diagnostic function. It then goes through the 0 to 100% but then reports back:
"Fault in communication with vehicle ecu"
"Please confirm:
1: vehicle is equipped with the system
2:This system is an electrical control system
3: The diagnostic connector is ok
4: The ignition switch is ok

I think i'm good with all this but it just wont go any further. Am i being stupid?
Thanks
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

What state is the pacman socket in, suggest spraying some electrical contact cleaner in it to make sure all connections are good.
Can you access the DME engine module using your reader or are you just having a problem accessing the ABS module?
If it connects to the DME ok then maybe its a fault within the abs module.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Pacman socket looks clean enough. I wasn't sure whether i should spray some contact cleaner or not.
When i plug in the tool, i go into bmw section, select non x3 model, then select automatic diagnose mode. It then takes about 3 minutes to scan through 44 different channels. Once i've done this i can go into DME/DDE which shows 10 engine related fault codes ( misfire etc)
If i instead choose manual diagnose mode, i can select from a list of 44 modules, the 4th on the list being "abs/asc/dsc (dynamic stability control). If i select this module, it scans through to 100% and then shows the 'fault in communication with vehicle ecu'
I tried a few of the other 44 modules like heater, LEW steering angle sensor, fuel pump control, radio, instrument cluster, light switching center and they all gave the same response.
The SRS airbag module and the EWS (elec immobilise system) allowed me to read DTC and then showed no faults.
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Ps, i did clean up the pacman with a bit of electrical spray
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I don't know what options you have when you first connect to the car but I would have thought that you would need to select 3 series not unselect it.
I have not seen one of these in use on a BMW so I cannot comment further, however, using my INPA on my 2000 model year Z3 some of the modules are accessible from the E36 list, some are under E46, and others are E39 which is a 5 series. I guess that the communications protocol are similar depending on when those cars were built.
Why don't you contact Icarsoft via their website and ask since they can probably give you an answer immediately without the risk of damaging anything?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

therealdb1 wrote:they can probably give you an answer immediately without the risk of damaging anything?
Code readers can't cause any damage. They just read and reset codes. You need DIS or winkfp before you are into the realms of potentially causing problems.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

As you get it communicating with the DME and have retrieved codes I would suspect your not using the correct ABS module your code reader can access, try another selection as mentioned earlier, see if that works.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4