Wind Deflector

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wind Deflector

Post by Buz007 »

I'm after a wind deflector for a 1999 1.9 one of those that goes on without roll hoops, it sort of sits between the 2 pillars. Anyone?

Many Thanks

Marc
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
QueenAnne

Z3 roadster 2.3

Re: Wind Deflector

Post by QueenAnne »

Not sure I understand? The roll hoops were standard equipment starting on the 1998 models, so your car should have them. If for some reason it doesn't, your only options are to buy after market roll hoops, and get a wind deflector that mounts onto it, or get this wind deflector from Windblox that works without the roll hoops.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

QueenAnne wrote:Not sure I understand? The roll hoops were standard equipment starting on the 1998 models, so your car should have them. If for some reason it doesn't, your only options are to buy after market roll hoops, and get a wind deflector that mounts onto it, or get this wind deflector from Windblox that works without the roll hoops.
Maybe they were standard for USA models, but not for European ones. The smaller engined models never got them as a standard piece of equipment here.
I have a 2001 1.9 facelift model, that doesn't have roll hoops either.
There are two types of wind deflector which go onto cars without hoops. These fit into holes which are covered by blanking plugs on the top of the storage space, between the pillars. You need to measure between the holes in your car to establish which one you need. Off the top of my head, I think they're either 750mm between pins for a pre-facelift car or 700mm for a post-facelift model. You need to have the correct one, of course, so do check before you buy one from ebay or such like, as most of the ones you will find for sale on there are the 750mm older type. As your car is a 1999, I dont know if its a pre or post facelift..
You may also find that the facelift car will have the mounting kit already fitted under the blanks (mine did), but if your car is an earlier model, you may need the brackets too. You will see if they're there if you look under the blanks.
I hope this helps.
Last edited by lebigmec on Tue 30 May, 2017 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are actually three types of wind deflector - one that fits to the tops of the seatbelt turrets and two that fit to brackets mounted under the storage box trim with different width variants for pre- and post-facelift cars. I had the turret type fitted to my car before I retrofitted roll hoops to it.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

Thanks All,

Don't suppose you still have the 'turret type' available do you Mr T? :wink:
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

Scratch that, just had a look on the website and the ones which sit on the seats look awful! don't want to fit roll hoops if I can help it. Will prob go for the one that fits in between the hoop mounts.

Do the wind deflectors work? i'm just thinking of my Mrs hair, it really annoys her!

Thanks
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Buz007 wrote:Scratch that, just had a look on the website and the ones which sit on the seats look awful! don't want to fit roll hoops if I can help it. Will prob go for the one that fits in between the hoop mounts.

Do the wind deflectors work? i'm just thinking of my Mrs hair, it really annoys her!

Thanks
Yes!! They make an enormous difference...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This was my type I. Sold it many years ago, sorry.

viewtopic.php?t=15081

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc