Sill Repair/Replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Sill Repair/Replacement

Post by thomasbrown92 »

Evening all,

Was doing some tender loving with my car tonight with some polish and was shocked when I noticed the sills have started to go at the front ends. They are starting crack from the underneath with some mild crumbling where they are visible from the wheel arch. Nothing too serious yet and have applied some Kurust to halt any further corrosion for now.

Repair or replacement is inevitable and just wondered how much I should expect to pay and whether it is worth just going for a full replacement?

Cheers

Tom
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Sill Repair/Replacement

Post by SHRS2000 »

Only way to do it properly is replace IMO. About £120.00 each from BMW plus about £16.00 for new bolts & clips.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I agree with SHRS2000 if you are going to keep the car as a cherished 2-seater sports car. I took the view it was much cheaper to renovate an attractive BMW 2-seater than to buy a newer sports car. 2-seaters seem to age well in the "looks dept" anyway.

The rust will be worse behind the stuff you can see and the main "tub" section behind may have surface rust (only) which is best treated as well. In fact if you are feeling particularly keen the rear wings and front quarter panels can also rust where they both meet the sill - the problem being that there is a strengthening section (front quarter panel) and bracket (rear wing) which traps dirt and thus moisture over time. I've had all mine off, cleaned and treated with POR 15 plus two new outer sills.

The sill covers are specific to the various car shapes i.e. pre-facelift narrow body & wide body plus post facelift.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Definitely replace them. I did mine, and as Del said corrosion and road crud will be worse on the inner part. There are details and info on replacing sills on the Knowledge base, and on the other forum. I fitted some Halford's mudflaps to the front of mine after I fitted the sills as it stops the jet of crud, grit and stones blasting on the front of the sills. Anything you want to know about doing this, just ask.

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by thomasbrown92 »

Thanks for the advice chaps - I thought as much.

Can anybody recommend a bodyshop for work of this nature? I've had minor repairs done here and there, which I have been reasonably please with, but would like to be more confident in somebody for such a big job.

Travel isn't much of an issue.

Thanks again

Tom
Tom
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'm not sure sill replacement counts as a 'big job'! They bolt on and off, so if you have a place that can paint to a reasonable degree, I'd just get them to do the painting and bolt them on yourself.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'm not sure sill replacement counts as a 'big job'! They bolt on and off, so if you have a place that can paint to a reasonable degree, I'd just get them to do the painting and bolt them on yourself.
Absolutely. And unlike a bodyshop you'll be bothered to clean out all the cr*p that lurks behind and caused the rot in the first place.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

thomasbrown92 wrote:Thanks for the advice chaps - I thought as much.

Can anybody recommend a bodyshop for work of this nature? I've had minor repairs done here and there, which I have been reasonably please with, but would like to be more confident in somebody for such a big job.

Travel isn't much of an issue.

Thanks again

Tom
Just noticed you live in Tyne & Wear!

i used KD Burns in Prudhoe, Northumberland & they did a top notch job. Not the cheapest I suspect but very good. Darren is the guy to speak to.
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by thomasbrown92 »

SHRS2000 wrote:
Just noticed you live in Tyne & Wear!

i used KD Burns in Prudhoe, Northumberland & they did a top notch job. Not the cheapest I suspect but very good. Darren is the guy to speak to.
Spot on - thank you very much!

Will do some investigating and get sorted.

Tom
Tom