Exhaust vibration absorber

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Exhaust vibration absorber

Post by Rodent »

My recently purchased 2.2 lit z3 had a strange metallic rattle on the passenger side. I had a look underneath and noticed that the vibration absorber (marked 80hz.) was very loose and wobbly. It looks like the spacers had rusted away, leaving the rubber lump very loose.
I have taken it off but still notice the rattle noise, perhaps a little quieter.
My question is: are these dampers really necessary? Will my exhaust shake itself to bits without the damper in place?
Thanks
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Exhaust vibration absorber

Post by Gazza »

I removed it from my 2.8, didn't notice any difference.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Must be there for a reason.
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

if its necessary to remove harmful vibration, why then has my exhaust system not shaken itself to pieces since I removed it? I read somewhere that for the USA market, it was felt that any sort of vibration would detract from the driving experience. I have to be honest and say that between pot-holed roads, lovely exhaust note and my enthusiastic driving I have not really noticed any bad vibrations. whats left of mine was marked as 80hz, but looking online it seems there are many different hz. ratings available.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

i was painting under mine today, well preparing for painting, removing the rust...
and noticed these, just looked them up... i thought thats what they were for but wasnt sure..... they gotta be heavy to do anything ? and heavy on a sports car is BAD!!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_2331

ill be taking them off lol.