Handbrake service - calliper removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Handbrake service - calliper removal

Post by dazthephot »

So here's a thing. Next on my list is to service the daft handbrake. I'll also have to do my e91 320 too as it also is rubbish.

My Q is why not just remove the calliper carrier bolts and take the hole thing off together to be able to remove the disc instead of removing the calliper first then the carrier then the brake disc??

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Handbrake service - calliper removal

Post by therealdb1 »

It is probably because whoever wrote the procedure expects there to be a lip around the outer edge of the disc and it will be difficult to lift the caliper off the disc without removal of the pads. To get the pads out you have to do what it says.
You can often find a simple workaround on many jobs when you become familiar with how your car is put together and if your caliper can be slid off the disc intact there is nothing to stop you doing that.
Just make sure it is well supported while you are fiddling with the handbrake so that the weight of the caliper is not hanging on the pipe.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Handbrake service - calliper removal

Post by dazthephot »

Thanks. I don't know why i didn't think of it at all as i've been hobby working on cars for years and BMW's especially for a good 20 years.

The handbrake really is a bug bear, it's design was probably quite good at first but real world working is different. I suspect it's crap because that funny little lever thing attached to the cable has seized and it's just working the top spring part of the shoes. We will see when i get it apart.