Handbrake service

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Handbrake service

Post by dazthephot »

Anyone done this recently? Is there a service kit that has all the required bits in?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rayman

blank

Re: Handbrake service

Post by rayman »

My car did fail its MOT on the handbrake. The cables were rusted and split and it was a long hard job removing them. Luckily the bolts holding the drum to the hub were not rusty otherwise removal of the drum would be difficult. The back plates can be rusty so if the shoes are OK I would leave them. Adjustment was a little trying. You have to poke a long screw driver through a small hole to adjust the ratchet. I did most of the adjustment with the drum off so i did not need to adjust it too much for the final adjustment. You can also see the correct direction to adjust the screw. Once adjusted you can then tension up the handrake cables from inside the car
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... cement.htm
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Are you sure you need parts? The drum parking brake has an easy life. I recently looked at my 2000 2 litre 102,000 mile car and it just needed to be stripped, cleaned, re-assembles with a touch of copper grease at the appropriate points and it works perfectly. There were no signs of wear or degradation on the shoes at all. There could be problems with the cables however. They can stretch and corrode.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Thanks Rayman, i'll check that link.
rayman wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 07:20 My car did fail its MOT on the handbrake. The cables were rusted and split and it was a long hard job removing them. Luckily the bolts holding the drum to the hub were not rusty otherwise removal of the drum would be difficult. The back plates can be rusty so if the shoes are OK I would leave them. Adjustment was a little trying. You have to poke a long screw driver through a small hole to adjust the ratchet. I did most of the adjustment with the drum off so i did not need to adjust it too much for the final adjustment. You can also see the correct direction to adjust the screw. Once adjusted you can then tension up the handrake cables from inside the car
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... cement.htm
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

I'm hoping not actually, just trying to be prepared. I suspect it's that funny link thing that's seized or stuck so i'll just have to strip it and see.

Cheers
Zedbedee wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2017 07:26 Are you sure you need parts? The drum parking brake has an easy life. I recently looked at my 2000 2 litre 102,000 mile car and it just needed to be stripped, cleaned, re-assembles with a touch of copper grease at the appropriate points and it works perfectly. There were no signs of wear or degradation on the shoes at all. There could be problems with the cables however. They can stretch and corrode.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

This is what i suspect is causing the crap handbrake problem on the zed and my 320

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-2-3-4-5 ... 1438.l2649
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Not a fan of this rear (hand)brake drum system myself. I strongly suspect that the shoes and mechanism never get inspected at "inspections" and there are too many parts to potentially fail e.g. the shoes, the springs, the adjusters and the hole in the backing plate for the "spring pin" which ideally needs a hub strip down to replace. I much prefer the rotating caliper piston system on the rear brake caliper.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Yeh think you're right. We've had this car 10 years and the drums have never been off.

4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

Mine was a little sticky so took it apart and cleaned it all.
Works fine now
Can't see anything that would break or wear really
rayman

blank

Post by rayman »

dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Thank you very much.