Headlights!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Headlights!

Post by Zedbedee »

With the darker nights it's very noticeable how poor my Z3 lights are compared with my everyday Peugeot. The plastic is good but the dipped lights are particularly poor. Any ideas for an upgrade without breaking the bank??
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Headlights!

Post by Robert T »

What bulbs are you running? A fair few of us have swapped standard for 100%+ brighter bulbs. Philips, Osram and Ring do variants, going by the names nightbreaker, silverstars and such. They are conventional bulbs, so no issues with MOTs, and simply burn brighter at a slight expense of lifespan. Price is something like 15-25 per bulb. I did all 4.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I think most more modern cars have head lights that dazzle most other car drivers seems a war going on as to who has the most dazzling head lights my my zeds light are fine, my pet hate is the Juke
peterz3
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

For old school halogen lights, I've found the Z3 quite good. I would try new uprated Osram/Phillips bulbs in the first instance as suggested above.
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Just had a look at one of my bulbs. 'Made in USA' could be original and well overdue for replacement!! I did wonder if anyone had tried LED bulbs?
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Juvvajuvva »

Don't bother with LED.
The advice above is correct.
Emek

M roadster S50

Post by Emek »

Try to adjust headlight beam, go to someone with special tool:
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I set up a board at the back of my garage and marked the dipped beam centres and where the kick up to the left started. Then I backed away 25 feet and checked again, slightly low. Looked at the adjusters which were very stiff so I ended up removing the lights, cleaning and lubing the adjusters, replacing the lights and resetting them. Not much better. On a country road with dipped beans there appears to be less than two car lengths illuminated. I did the same thing checking the low beams on my newer Peugeot 308. The illumination is so much better from the Peugeot. When you think about it, the Z3 lights are so much lower so that if you set them as advised they are never going to shine as far as a higher vehicle. I think I'm going to try setting the lights a little higher and maybe lower them for the MOT!! Is everyone else happy with their Z3 lights? High beam is fine by the way.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I thought mine were too low as well untill I found the switch marked 1 as 2 just under the right side of the steering wheel moved it bingo up they came not as bright as some modern cars but still ok for me
peterz3