Getting back on the road, what do I need to do?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Grazza

M roadster S50

Getting back on the road, what do I need to do?

Post by Grazza »

Hi,

I posted on here a couple of years back about getting my Z3M back on the road after I put it in a ditch.

My plans were sidelined somewhat by a fairly messy divorce but I kept the car and now I'm back to the same place trying to work out how to fix the broken bits with the help of the forum and any online guides I can find.

The car has been in the garage for the best part of three years now and my question is this, apart from the obvious things that I broke in the crash (suspension, wishbone, headlight, bumper etc) what do I need to check / fix before I start driving again? I started it up (first time! :o ) the other day so thats a good start and a service will be high on the list but is there anything else I need to look at given how long it has been standing?

Thanks
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Getting back on the road, what do I need to do?

Post by colb »

Change all the fluids, oil and antifreeze and brake fluid, whilst your about it do the gearbox and rear diff then you know where you are as a start. Fix the broken bits, inspect the tyres, sitting for three years may well have caused flat spots, check the sidewalls for cracking, you may need new tyres depending on what you find. As to parts don't buy cheap try and use oem or recognised makers pattern parts. Check out all the suspension bushes. Also put some fresh fuel in it, three year old fuel is not going to be at its best. Check replace brake pads and discs check adjust handbrake shoes as well.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Re: Getting back on the road, what do I need to do?

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Hi
Spursfaninacoupe and/or Mrscalex may have good second hand parts that you need. Geoff