winters here

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

winters here

Post by peter2b »

getting chilly now so hard top fitted , only thing is the "mate" who helped me fit it for the first time last year put the shims that go under the front mounts put them in his pocket on his old jacket, when he found them later didn't know what they were so binned them, great just cost me £10 for some more
peterz3
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: winters here

Post by rambo »

Can you tell me where you get the spacers from please?
Rambo
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I didn't know there were spacers for the front. The brackets on the front of the roof adjust left/right and backwards/forwards. The clamps on the rear of the roof adjust in all three axes. The mounts on the car do not adjust. Any chance of a pic?

I just refitted my hardtop on Friday. I am still missing the exhaust note whilst simultaneously marvelling at how quiet it is. HRW has already been used twice.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

The only spacers needed are the "mounting gauges" that set the height at the back of the hardtop.

Part number 54 21 9 408 881, 6.2 mm thick and pre-formed for the bodywork. You go for a gap between the spacers and the roof of 0.2 mm.

The only problem with the oem spacers is that once you've set everything up you have to take the roof off to remove the spacers :head:

OR..... make a spacer that's 6.4 mm thick and jiggle it out when you're done.

Dave
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Many Thanks
I'll talk to my local dealer.
Regards
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Part no longer available from the Dealer.
Is anyone prepared to loan me their gauge so I can set it up properly?
Regards
Mike ( Rambo )
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

getting them from my local bmw part shop (shrewsbury) he had to look on the computer to find them zoomed in there they were he had to order them should be here mid week they are only 1mm thick, when they arrive I will post the part number, the only reason I'm fitting them is because the top is very close to the body by the doors but too high at the back so by lifting the front it should allow the back to be dropped a bit without the door area
peterz3
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks Peter
Look forward to receiving the up to date part number
Regards
Rambo
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Mounting gauges I have, along with the hook spanner for the lock rings on the hardtop. They are only needed for the initial fitting. I can post them to anywhere in the UK. I just need them returning when you are done, so that other members may use them. Please PM me if you want them.

The spacers above are something different, and this is the first time I have heard of them being used.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

peter2b wrote: Mon 30 Oct, 2017 18:58 the only reason I'm fitting them is because the top is very close to the body by the doors but too high at the back so by lifting the front it should allow the back to be dropped a bit without the door area
peterz3
That doesn't sound right. According to the official "First Fitting Installation" manual the vertical and lateral adjustment are done at the mounting brackets, no mention of shims at the windscreen at all.

Dave
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What Peter is referring to, BMW call a Spacer Plate. It is part #33 on this diagram. From its positioning on the diagram, it looks like it might be intended to go between the front bracket on the hardtop and the hardtop itself, rather than between the bracket and the car. That way it will stay attached to the roof and you can't lose them! :wink:

I have been answering questions about hardtops on here for many years and this really is the first time I have seen mention of these Spacer Plates. There is a massive amount of adjustment in the hardtop that means it should be able to fit any car, without having to make any adjustments to the car that would upset the alignment of the softtop. However, if BMW actually have a part for this purpose, it means that on occasion they might be needed.

The fitting gauges are quite a complex shape and are designed to sit on the rear of the car in the correct position. The process of aligning the roof involves fitting and removing the roof many times, including a final time to refit the plastic trim covers over the rear brackets on the roof, so removing the gauges is not exactly a challenge, however, if you operate the handles on the hardtop, it jacks the rear of the roof up more than sufficiently to get the gauges out, you just need to undo and redo the front grub screws when you do it, but you shouldn't need to remove the roof from the car. Provided that you aren't fitting the roof to another car in between, there should be no need to use the fitting gauges again. I have a set of gauges and the necessary hook spanner to do the adjusting which I loan out to UK members on behalf of the site. Postage costs and the likelihood of the things going AWOL sadly prevents me sending them outside the UK.

Cheers R.
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

I'm getting a tad confused with the different ' plates and spacers' we are all talking about.
My problem is that my hardtop squeaks and rattles slightly when driving along and I feel that it needs adjusting to reduce this effect. If the spacer is there to make sure the hardtop sits at the correct height off the rear of the car then this is what I need.
So if you could phone me on ##### ###### ## we can arrange a loan and I will pay all your expenses

Mod Edit: Phone number removed for your security. R.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

with my home made rear hard top mounts use to rattle a bit on rough roads fixed it by putting some silicone filler in the bottom of the hole that the rear pins go into it stop the pins from moving up and down
peterz3
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

piced up the spacers from my bmw shop shrewsbury, Distanzplatt 5421 8 407 541they are a triangle shape with 3 holes that match the 3 screws on the front mount
peterz3
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ive had 3 different hard tops now and never needed any of them adjusting - Ive always wondered about this "fitment" idea... Personally I would start with the question...

"whats the problem when you fit the hard top"?

Because if it fits (albeit I have to lean on mine to get the clamp to turn) then whats the issue?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Peter, is there any chance you could post a picture of the shims and how they fit.

Thanks R.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

[ haven't fitted them yet but from memory when I got the top they were mounted under the front hard top mounts, the mate who was helping me fit the hard top took the hard top fittings off before I could stop him as he thought you had to do that to get the hard top fitting in line that's after he put the spacers in his pocket, topical bloke didn't read the fitting instructions first like I did
peterz3