Anyone got an automatic Z3?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Anyone got an automatic Z3?

Post by swabyk »

I’m considering buying an auto Z3 and wondered if anyone can tell me what they’re like in comparison to the manual? There’s surprisingly little info in terms of reviews of autos on t’internet!!

I read many years back that an auto 1.9 was a bad choice as it lacked power even compared to the manual 1.9, is there a better engine for the automatic? Is the 2.2 or 2.8 that much better or is it just the auto Z3s in general that aren’t as good?

If anyone can give their view I’d appreciate it, would like the easier driving of an auto but not if it sacrifices performance and fun.

Thanks
Ken
Tilly

M roadster S50

Re: Anyone got an automatic Z3?

Post by Tilly »

We have a 1.9 Auto and an M and we have owned both for almost 20 years. In today's driving conditions the auto can easily keep up with the Roadster. In fact on many occasions the auto is an easier drive. Acceleration is adequate, kick down is rapid and the suspension is far more compliant. In traffic there is no contest the auto wins outright. If you like cruising with the roof down then we usually take the auto. If I could only have one then although a difficult decision I would probably keep the 1.9 auto for all of the above reasons plus the reduced cost of running. I would though miss the occasional short blast in the Roadster. You read all these road tests, underpowered, unresponsive suspension, vague steering but BMW sold a lot and most owners still get a thrill out of driving them irrespective of engine size and transmission type. My recommendation is try one and if it ticks your boxes buy it and enjoy.
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

I have a rare (so I am told) 1999 2.8 Auto which I have had nearly 18 years now and I love it - you have a sports switch on it so when you need an extra bit of kick it delivers and then some! It really is a pleasure to drive and due to an old rugby injury on my left ankle I find manuals painful to drive and spent and age sourcing this one. It is the roadster version and it hacks around the country lanes no problem and if you like the thrill of getting its bum out you can also turn off the ASC. As an add on I also have a hard top for it which puts a bit of extra weight on it so to me it's like having 2 completely different toys to play with - like the previous reply said, have a try!
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

I have a 1.9 Auto and find it perfectly adequate, I would entirely agree with Tilly's comments having owned and enjoyed mine for around 9 years.
Having said that however if "adequate" is not what you are wanting, maybe look for a 2.8 or 3 litre, both of which I think will have a Steptronic box (which I had in my 1998 five series) and which I think you may get more fun out of :) .
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

Thanks all, appreciate the comments and feedback
Paulro

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paulro »

I have a 3L auto and have recently sold a 2.8 manual.

Both engines are very flexible and both cars a real pleasure to drive.

The 3l engine is terrific and combines with the auto box beautifully. Out of the two cars I'd choose this car.

I'm getting on a bit so the cruising ability suits me whereas 20 or 30 years ago I'm sure I'd have preferred the manual.

The auto though is no slouch. Kick down or sports mode makes me smile. I mainly use it in Portugal with the roof down with the sun shining.

Pick the right 1.9 and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Do a bit of research, try them and I don't think you'll regret it. They are very good cars.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Like Paulro I moved from a manual 2.8 to an auto 3.0 about 2 years ago and love it. The steptronic auto box coupled to a 3.0 engine is a perfect combination in my opinion. Autos aren`t everyone's cup of tea and I`d advise a test drive before committing to one.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

I have owned a 3.0L for the last ten years, purchased primarily due to a disability in my left leg. On the congested roads down here in the south east it is far more sensible than my manual Audi. Don't be led into the idea that auto means slow, the 3.0 auto will beat anything 'out of the gate' (with the possible exception of the odd AMG hereabouts!

The one down side with the RHD Z3 is the lack of an adequate foot rest so I constructed my own in alli sheet.

Regards.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

It depends what "fun" you are looking for.
Is it spirited driving or the thrill of of a rag top?
That should dictate your decision.
(Full disclosure - this week celebrated 10 years on my 1.9Auto)
Buzzy-Beans

BMW other

Post by Buzzy-Beans »

I haven't bought my Z3 yet as I am still compiling my required detail, data and information.

I have read somewhere about GM auto boxes fitted to some of the Z3's which were sealed for life and as such you couldn't change the ATF the result of which being that they have quite a short mileage/life. :?:

Is this the case and if so are they to be avoided and also which models were they fitted to. :?:

Many thanks
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Wow - I did less due diligence before getting married (now happily for 35 years).
It is not recommended to change transmission fluid often - but it can be done (and the filter replaced)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

swabyk wrote: Thu 09 Nov, 2017 23:40 If anyone can give their view I’d appreciate it, would like the easier driving of an auto but not if it sacrifices performance and fun.
It doesn't sacrifices performance and fun. I have both - manual and auto 2.8. Due to differencees diff ratio, auto accelerates and spins the wheels much faster than manual.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Buzzy-Beans wrote: Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:54 I have read somewhere about GM auto boxes fitted to some of the Z3's which were sealed for life and as such you couldn't change the ATF the result of which being that they have quite a short mileage/life. :?:
Keep in mind that BMW didn't expected one model "life" to be longer than ~5-7 years at that time (now I think it is 2-3 years for current models). So better change ATF. AFAIK ZF auto boxes are more bulletproof than Getrag.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I've driven a 2.2 M-sport auto and enjoyed it very much, especially the exhaust note :D

Also an E46 3.0 M-sport auto which is heavier than the Z3 and that went very well :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Buzzy-Beans wrote: Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:54 I haven't bought my Z3 yet as I am still compiling my required detail, data and information.

I have read somewhere about GM auto boxes fitted to some of the Z3's which were sealed for life and as such you couldn't change the ATF the result of which being that they have quite a short mileage/life. :?:

Is this the case and if so are they to be avoided and also which models were they fitted to. :?:

Many thanks
The GM box as with all BMW autos are not sealed for life but are filled for life. The oil can be changed along with the filter.
The GM box was fitted to the facelift Z3's and is the steptronic box. It was also fitted to various other BMWs and then superceeded with the 6 speed auto GM box

GM 5L40-E transmission

some faults
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/The- ... n-Problems
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I had a 2.2 auto and now have the 3.0 auto.

Both were excellent but I love the power of the 3.0 [both have the twin vanos btw]. And, I can spin the wheels in the auto 3.0. It is not hard to change the trans oil and should be done from time to time, perhaps every 20,000 k's perhaps. If a car has fluids, they need to be changed!

It is great just cruising without having to do all the legwork on a clutch. You can put it in manual mode with the steptronic but I rarely do that. I live in a hilly area and also go through the city a lot, so a manual is out of the question. BTW the fuel economy is negligible between the 2.2 and the 3.0 - I keep meticulous records for all fuel consumption.

Hope that helps.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Cooper01 wrote: Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:37 I had a 2.2 auto and now have the 3.0 auto.

Both were excellent but I love the power of the 3.0 [both have the twin vanos btw]. And, I can spin the wheels in the auto 3.0. It is not hard to change the trans oil and should be done from time to time, perhaps every 20,000 k's perhaps. If a car has fluids, they need to be changed!

It is great just cruising without having to do all the legwork on a clutch. You can put it in manual mode with the steptronic but I rarely do that. I live in a hilly area and also go through the city a lot, so a manual is out of the question. BTW the fuel economy is negligible between the 2.2 and the 3.0 - I keep meticulous records for all fuel consumption.

Hope that helps.
I would be interested in hearing what mpg you get with your 3.0. I have a 3.0 auto and seem to get about 27 to 29 mpg. My previous Z was a 2.8 twin vanos manual which regularly returned 35mpg.
Cheers Alec
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi, I get 10.5-11.6 Klm per litre. I will have to let you do all the math for MPG, lol. BTW I do not have a trip computer, I use actual litres used over the distance on the odo which is reset each fill up. Don't trust the computer. I return about 27 MPG .

Hey doesn't the 2.8 only come in a single vanos?

Cheer.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I get 9.5-11 km/l depending on the use of the AC (mixed urban cycle). 1.9Auto.
I suspect the local fuel is subpar.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

@bonbon wow, I thought you would get better than that! I use premium fuel only 98 ron.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Cooper01 wrote: Mon 01 Jan, 2018 11:55 Hi, I get 10.5-11.6 Klm per litre. I will have to let you do all the math for MPG, lol. BTW I do not have a trip computer, I use actual litres used over the distance on the odo which is reset each fill up. Don't trust the computer. I return about 27 MPG .

Hey doesn't the 2.8 only come in a single vanos?

Cheer.

The later 2.8 is designated TU which is technical update and has the twin vanos. I did a 600 mile journey last year in the 3.0 and did the actual figures, brimming the tank on each fill and at the end of the journey, which worked out at a fraction under 30 mpg. Reset the computer at the start of the journey and it showed 30mpg as well so I trust mine. I normally do a lot of short journeys and mpg is poor which is to be expected.
Cheers
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

cool! good to know. :) wonder why there is about 3 k per litre difference? hmmm.