Key Lock in Door just spins round

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Key Lock in Door just spins round

Post by Bumpa »

While I have the interior out of my Z3 trying to dry it out and fix the leaks, I have the battery disconnected because the seats are out and all the switches on the centre console are unplugged as well. I have been locking the car with the key in the driver's door. Two days ago there was the sound of a small object falling inside the door and now the lock simply spins round and round without doing anything.

This afternoon I got inside the door. There I found two small pieces that had fallen from the lock. I was going to post a photo of them but apparently the board maximum has been reached, whatever that means.

What I need to know is how to get the lock mechanism out of the door. I have absolutely no idea how to proceed.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Key Lock in Door just spins round

Post by Gazza »

Handle removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5APczd2Ww

Lock removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUrepKla44

Pictures need to be hosted on sites such as Flickr etc and links pasted here.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Would hazard a guess that the flat plates fixing at the end of the unit has failed and the block and spring broke for freedom. Is there another block with a hole in it for the spring to fit in, looks like it in the picture fit the spring with its block back in an compress it in with the flat plate may have to use a cable tie to hold it in and see if you can peen the end over the plate to hold it in. Try the key to see if it works whilst its held together before trying to peen it over.
Just found this which explains a fix http://www.eatsleeptinker.com/2013/03/0 ... n-m-coupe/
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

Thanks to both of you. The eatsleeptinker instructions are what I need to follow. As soon as it looks as though it won't rain for a few hours I'll give it a go - maybe next May then!
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

Bumpa wrote: Mon 20 Nov, 2017 16:12 As soon as it looks as though it won't rain for a few hours... - maybe next May then!
I hope it doesn't take that long!
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

Graham, I'm not joking since I live on the coast in SW Scotland. Have you heard the description of the seasons in Scotland? There are only two - June and winter. We don't have snow or fog, rarely have frost but we have almost continuous wind and rain at this time of year. My poor Z3 lives outside and the foam bonded under the carpet is saturated. If I can find a way to stop the rain getting in, how the devil can I dry out the foam? It is just about impossible to get the carpets out since they run from one door sill to the other and are sandwiched under the heater and A/C unit. The rear part is fixed under the plastic panels at the back of the cockpit. I have taken the centre console out (with a struggle) and don't feel like doing any more dismantling.

All this trouble began with the DSC lights being on which, when investigated, showed the sensors on the floor swimming in their very own pool. Oddly enough my MGB GT which lives outdoors with the Zed is completely dry inside. They don't build cars like that any more.
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

I'm familiar with various parts of Scotland.
Toured parts of the Highlands in Morgan and Land Rover (neither of which are particularly waterproof :head: ), used to run to the ferry at Stranraer regularly, then the Seacat just up the coast, and spend time in various parts of the Borders / Dumfries and Galloway &c.
Usually, been lucky with weather (famous last words for next trip!).
A dehumidifier works - but can take time, and as you are already attempting to fix - a need to stop the water getting in...
Good luck! :)
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)