Breakdown cover

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Breakdown cover

Post by alec.m »

Has anyone used "Auto Aid". There`s an offer through Martin Lewis`s website, personal cover for 15months £43.31. Being personal cover it covers you in a car that`s any age which is good as a lot of the reasonably priced ones won`t cover a car over 17 years old. They don`t require you to pay upfront and reclaim any more so I`m tempted. Any feedback or comments much appreciated.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Breakdown cover

Post by colb »

That sounds like a bargain, mine is £150 a year for wife and me with the bank, will be looking to change if it works out better.
Just checked it out, if I cancel my breakdown with the bank I also loose my annual travel insurance with them so weighing it up I'm better off with what I have. Wife and me covered for breakdown and travel worldwide.
Last edited by colb on Sun 26 Nov, 2017 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Colb, they cover spouse at no extra charge!
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I signed myself and the wife up to Auto Aid after 20 odd years with RAC.
The major assistance companies cannot get anywhere near the price.
We have not had to call their services as yet so that will be the acid test but since between the pair of us we travel less than 7000 miles a year using the whole fleet it did not seem to warrant paying RAC inflated prices.
The only minor inconvenience is that I had to supply a copy of our marriage certificate to Auto Aid proving that my wife was my spouse since we use different surnames but that was dealt with quickly and efficiently so was not a reason for not going ahead and saving £100.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks for your thoughts. I`m going for it, it`s worth a punt at that price. For anyone that wants to go for it you need to link from the following page to get 15 months for the price of 12
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-i ... over#BBtwo
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

Thanks for posting the link, hope it's still available next year when my RAC cover falls due, though at £43 and a bit I'd pay that for 12 months.
Several of my Morgan pals have AutoAid cover - I don't know whether any have had to call them out yet...

Cheers,
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've been with Autoaid for 2 years. I've not claimed yet. I've heard nothing but positive things about the claim process. And now they settle directly (with most, possibly all recovery companies) so you don't need to fork out.

My gut feel is their model works well enough they'll expand, go household name and charge more. But just my view, not anything I've read.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Been with Auto Aid now for over 6 years, no complaints, had a couple of callouts in the past, very quick, had to pay for the recovery with a credit card, then Auto Aid paid me back, but I think that setup has changed now, I don't think you have to pay upfront, the last time I used them was over 4 years ago. Cant beat the price, covers you, so any car or bike you are using, you are covered, including home start, handy with the cold weather and old batteries failing at the wrong time.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

All positive comments. Thanks again. I've gone for it and it seems like you can pay for cover some time in advance. My cover starts on the 14th January. The was a calendar thingy to choose your start date so if you want to certain of getting the 15 months and happy to pay your money well in advance it's possible to do.
I've looked through my policy docs and there's definitely no money to pay upfront when you call them out like you used to have to do paul1963
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

After being with the RAC for 30 years, when the renewal came through this year for £140 covering both my wife's Golf and my car, I rang up to cancel. The representative said what if I gave you a daft low quote, I said NO, why can't RAC give a quote which reflected a bit of loyalty to their brand? After all in all those years I can count the call outs on one hand and they must had a few grand out of me in annual payments.

Went with Auto Aid for half the price for the two cars. I'm sure RAC must be losing members hand over fist, I made sure in phone conversation to get in about loyalty etc and high renewal prices.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Like most insurance companies loyalty means nothing to them and they rely on the sheep that just blindly pay their renewal each year at a premium mark up to survive.
Unlike the old days where you had to involve an agent or spend an entire day on the phone, you can get multiple quotes in minutes on the internet.
The irony is that often the best quote is from the company you are already with but the bonus of (in their eyes) you being a new customer the price is considerably cheaper than the renewal they have just sent you.
Several times I have contacted a company to give them the bad news that someone has beaten their renewal only to reveal with glee that they have beaten themselves! It works try it! :P
Incidentally, when I called RAC to say I was leaving for Auto Aid some time ago the telephonist said "who are they? Never heard of them!"
I reckon they have heard of them now!
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

If you're in New Zealand try the AA. With them it's you who are covered. You can be driving any car. Great service. Unfortunately I've had to use them twice :shock: Not with my Z3 though. :lol:
Tony.