ABS/DSC fault codes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

ABS/DSC fault codes

Post by TomH84 »

Hey all,

Started the car this morning and greeted with a sea of yellow warning lights :bawl: The DSC, ABS and brake warning lights are all illuminated. I've pulled the following codes:

5E21 Pressure sensor 2
5E5B ASC/DSC Button
5E40 Steering angle implausible
5DF4 System voltage < 9v
5D 93 Wheel Speed Sensor front left

I'm hoping this could just be a sensor or something? I reset the codes, but that had no impact. Also pulled the battery - again, the lights stay on when the battery is reconnected after 5 mins.

The car needs a new battery. It's on order. It's 4 years old and has just started to show signs of weakness... but I don't think that's immediately related to the ABS/DSC problem.

Any ideas before I take it to my local garage?

Cheers all!
Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: ABS/DSC fault codes

Post by therealdb1 »

There could be a clue on your faults list.
5DF4 says the system voltage is less than 9 volts and you admit to needing a new battery.
You need a decent battery fitted first before you even start diagnosis.
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

Thanks - as thinking that a dying battery wouldn't help and could even have triggered the multiple fault codes. I've just put a new Bosch battery in the car. Lights are still on, but maybe they will go away after a few 'drive cycles" If not, it's back to diagnostics...

Cheers!
Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

My battery went flat the other week, had left the boot open. Jump started and abs asc lights lit up. No codes set when I checked. Ran a abs pump check in inpatient after which the lights went out. Put your new battery on and give the car a run of a few miles, also switch it on one off a few times so it performs its self check a few times.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V