Z Register

Discussion of anything to do with the BMW Car Club. Viewing and posting limited to Z Register members.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z Register

Post by burmagirl »

I paid to join the Z register a few months ago, & sent my form off to (I think) Tim Cullis. Have never heard anything at all. Eventually I emailed Gerry at the BMWCC office & he gave me TC's phone number - left a message on his voicemail but still nothing. I'm not sure what I ought to be expecting but some acknowledgement, surely. Can anyone enlighten me?

burmagirl
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

burmagirl - you have PM.

Rip?

Post by Guest »

The Z Register is virtually moribund, and unless people around the country can be bothered to inject a a little life into it, it will just become a footnote in BMWCC history.

As things stand, it seems almost immoral to accept money from people to join a register which provides nothing.

Perhaps the Z Register should be permitted to die peacefully - it was a good idea which died of neglect - RIP.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Re: Rip?

Post by DavidM »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The Z Register is virtually moribund, and unless people around the country can be bothered to inject a a little life into it, it will just become a footnote in BMWCC history.
There are plenty events going on ... just not under the name of the Register ... I think that the Car Club has to remedy it's perception in certain quarters first ...
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Mike ---
What do you think the register is? and what would you like to see it do?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Z Reg

Post by Guest »

I would regard the Z Register is simply a register of Z owners, some of whom organise the odd event.

My point is that many new owners join the Z Register, assuming that it to be some kind of Z Club within the BMWCC - which (in most areas) it is not. After sending their £10, and then often waiting for ages to receive their Z Reg sticker, they find it difficult to realise that a sticker is about all they will ever get for their money. I have been a member since 2000, and never even received a sticker for my money!

What would I like to see from the Z Reg? Good question - I would NOT like to see it acting in competition with Regional events, as it is difficult enough to attract most members for anything but a concours, or some others to a track day. At the least, there should be a fairly regular column in the BMWCC magazine, and a national structure of some sort, with regional secretaries who would organise a few events a year in co-operation with the regional committee.

I seem to remember that several years ago such a national structure was set in place, and then faded away - even the secretary for the SW region sold his Z3 and bought a Mini Cooper . . .

Let me ask a question - what does the Z Reg actually do? I still think the answer is 'Nothing' unless you are able to attend a Midland Meander, and while there are many Z-type events organised by people on this forum, others such as Z4um etc, and a lot more in Europe, they are nothing to do with the BMWCC Z Register.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Where do the £10s go ?
Are they sent to the car club?
There is/was a z register committee with Tim Cullis --chairman, Nero as secretary and yours truly -treasurer. We have no bank account, no funds and obviously, therefore, the £10s dont come to the register.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Phil

Speak to Andrew Dale in the club office and Jeff Heywood about the funds.

Happy to support you with this.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Wasnt suggesting that I wanted them, just wondered where it went. What would we do with money anyway?

Post by Guest »

I have always thought it a little odd that the BMWCC forum seemed to have a sub section for most models except the Zs. I also noticed that the club mag used to have a section for each register to give an update, but I can't recall ever seeing the Z register represented.

Seems like the Z register is a bit of a bastard step child with niether the BMWCC or the Zroadster folk giving it much love. Maybe the Z register need to move over to the BMWCC 100% and then maybe it will get the love and attention it deserves?
Last edited by Guest on Tue 12 Dec, 2006 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

siwilson wrote:Maybe the Z register nees to move over to the BMWCC 100% and then maybe it will get the love and attention it deserves?
Here here, except the car club's website is a bit 'sterile' to say the least and one of the great things about this site (for me) is the 'openness'.

The funds should go to and be controlled by the Z register comittee IMHO, to help develop the Z register membership and support Z register events!

This will only happen if we have an 'active' membership (which we do via this forum and our friends on others) and an active committee. Is it time to stand up and be counted?
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

When I were a lad and first joined the BMWCC and Z Register, Tim Cullis was very much in charge of the Z Register - so much so, that I believe ZRoadster.net was the only forum sanctioned by the club to be run outwith the club system?

Therefore as far as I'm concerned, ZRoadster.net is the Z Register - perhaps we should run that past Tim to confirm?

Those who have registered with Z Register, should get their status upgraded on here and get access to the Z Register members section, which discusses BMWCC business.

Anyone agree/disagree?
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.

Post by Guest »

Nero wrote:When I were a lad and first joined the BMWCC and Z Register, Tim Cullis was very much in charge of the Z Register - so much so, that I believe ZRoadster.net was the only forum sanctioned by the club to be run outwith the club system?

Therefore as far as I'm concerned, ZRoadster.net is the Z Register - perhaps we should run that past Tim to confirm?

Those who have registered with Z Register, should get their status upgraded on here and get access to the Z Register members section, which discusses BMWCC business.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Nero,

I don't think anyone would dispute your version of the history, or your interpretation of what should happen. The problem is that whatever worked in the past is not working now. There have been a number of instances where people pay their money and struggle to get even a sticker, let alone access to this 'exclusive' section of the board. Surely that cannot be right?

For whatever reason, Tim is not around much anyone more and this board is much the poorer for it. With the help of the other moderators we seem to be able to muddle through. Although, each time we get hacked or there is a website problem I wonder if Zroadster.net will come back 'on the air'. If Tim has other priorities now I think that needs to be recognized. An alternative plan needs to be put in place. I don't think anyone would begrudge Tim period of hiatus.

The problem is that the Z register is something people pay to join and something that is a part of the BMWCC. For that reason I think its best transitioned to the BMWCC. Assuming of course that they fix their own issues.

I think we all want things to be they way they were when Tim was in full flow and organizing events like the lakes. We might want to live in the past, but we can't. Time moves on and so should this board.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Personally I think that the Register and the Car Club as they stand right now are a damp squib - in the past the register was pretty good ...

To be honest if it was not for the warranty discount then I would not be a member - I do flick through the magazine in the hope that the Z Register might have a small section, but nope

The Car Club as a whole needs to move forwards and get away from the Concors Concious image - every meeting that I have been to that was not a zRegister one was populated by a generation older or two than me - no disrespect meant - who want tostand around and admire their cars or tell me that "Roadsters are not real BMWs" ... which strikes me as a bit odd. The club and register needs a new dynamic - and a revitalised commitee to take the register forwards for the next few years ...

Personally I think Mike has a point with his comment here ...
... there should be a fairly regular column in the BMWCC magazine, and a national structure of some sort, with regional secretaries who would organise a few events a year in co-operation with the regional committee ...
I think that would be a great start - and an active marketing campaign to attract new members and keep them interested ... the demographic of BMW owners has changed particularly with reference to the Zed range - the club needs to recognise that and embrace the changes by changing itself accordingly ...

BMWCC People

Post by Guest »

I have never experienced any problems with BMWCC people, and even when I used attend some events as the local Secretary of the BMW Club (motorcycles) I only experienced good people, and interest in the two-wheeled type of BMW.

The answer to the few BMW snobs still around is to ask them what a 'Real' BMW is - as in the 'good old days' the cars were made at Eisenach anyway, in the old Dixiwerke factory! Munchen only made motorcycles and aero engines until after WW2. 'Real' BMWs - if they ever existed - died with their Fuhrer. You can really wind these people up by telling them that the direct descendant of the pre-war BMW was the Wartburg two-stroke!

As it stands, it would be easy to allow the Z Reg to quietly die, unless someone can inject life into the corpse. I'm sure that there is still potential interest from Zed owners, which could be tapped. The first step in reviving the Z Reg would be to form a nucleus of organisers, and give some publicity in the BMWCC magazine, with events being organised in each local region. I would not expect much immediate support, but eventually such events may attract owners fom this board, who would see a reason to join the BMWCC.

If no-one can be bothered to attempt recovery, perhaps the best idea would be to hold a big Z Reg wake, using our £10 joining fees for refreshments!
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Pg 56 of the current magazine (December 2006) has a write-up for the ZM Section News.

Where did this section spring up from?
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Nero wrote:Pg 56 of the current magazine (December 2006) has a write-up for the ZM Section News.

Where did this section spring up from?
I thought that was M Register news - and written by JH himself

ZM Register

Post by Guest »

I think the ZM Register was one of the many sub-'M Power' registers created a few years ago.

The current ZM report is really just a resume of the current Hamaan and G-Power product range - poor Jeff must have been desperate for something to write! It looks like the ZM Reg also has a lack of anything to write about.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Phil, Nero and I were asked to step into the shoes of running the Z Register when the previous incumbents went their separate ways. Nothing was ever handed over from previous organisers and there has yet to be a face-to-face between the national committee and the Z Register. My biggest problem is that the club sits in its ivory tower deciding what registers should be doing, then ignoring the protestations from the register organisers.

One of the tasks we have been given amounts to plagiarism/copyright breaking.

It sounds to me like the club is pulling a fast one by asking members for (what I thought was £5 but sounds like it's now £10) for what amounts to a sticker. The Z Register don't get the funds from this, it's the club.

As for the magazine, I wrote several articles, only one of which was published, and that in a much reduced version. I'm not prepared to waste my time doing that only to have my efforts rejected for lack of space.

If anyone wants to step up and inject some new blood into the Z Register committee, here's your opportunity to say so.

Tim

A Good Excuse

Post by Guest »

I have a good excuse for not 'stepping up' in that I live in France, so would find it difficult to organise any events in the UK! Something in France - well, maybe . . .

Still, I'll keep the Red Zed figuring in the Running Reports, and anything else I write pertaining to its new life in la Belle France - I already have a few articles in my 'pending' tray which will be of interest to Zed owners and others.