brushed aluminium console - fitting

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

brushed aluminium console - fitting

Post by z3lowey »

Anybody got any tips on removing old and installing new radio/gear brushed alu parts?

Do I need to remove the whole centre console?

Any help/tips much appreciated.

Cheers
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: brushed aluminium console - fitting

Post by Brian H »

The whole centre console need removing, not too difficult, just take your time. Believe it or not it is easier to do with the seats out of the car, just remember do not switch on the ignition with the seats disconnected as you will cause an airbag fault which can only be reset via a code reader.
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by z3lowey »

I've disconnected every switch, removed every screw, console is loose but won't clear the handbrake!

I can't seem to pull off gearknob, the garage replaced it before I bought the car, did they glue it? It won't budge. I thought I could ease console around gearknob, now I'm not so sure.

Anybody got any tips?
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

You shouldn't need to remove the gearknob - just unclip the gaiter, and put the gearstick into 3rd or 4th to give you more clearance whichever way required.

It's tricky to get the console past the handbrake, but pull it up as high as you can, and then you should be able to remove it (possibly by lifting up the front of the console first, followed by the rear.
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i found it easier to loosen the 2 nuts on the handbrake that tension the cables then the lever will pull up almost vertical and the console just slides over it.
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by z3lowey »

Thanks for replies guys - much appreciated.

I guess once the console is out the heater panel/gearknob brushed alu thingy panels screw into the console, all will be easy to see.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

yes, all very easy to do when you look at the underside.
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by z3lowey »

Had a quick look under the handbrake gaiter, there is a pair of adjusters with a smaller nut and a larger nut together on each side. Do I need to just loosen the outer (smaller) nut?

This is new territory for me, sorry if it's a numpty question!

Remember, I just need to pull the handbrake up as far as possible to remove the console, not wanting to adjust/mess with handbrake atall really.

Thanks in advance, as ever, guys.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The two nuts lock each other... ie. the larger inner nut is what holds the cable in tension, the smaller outer nut locks up against the large nut so that it can't loosen over time. You will obviously need two spanners of the respective sizes. Hold the large nut firmly, and undo the smaller nut. then back off the smaller nut about 5mm followed by the large nut. That should allow sufficient slack to raise the lever. Just remember to re-tighten them afterwards. The process must be done with the lever in the lowered position.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by z3lowey »

Southernboy wrote:The two nuts lock each other... ie. the larger inner nut is what holds the cable in tension, the smaller outer nut locks up against the large nut so that it can't loosen over time. You will obviously need two spanners of the respective sizes. Hold the large nut firmly, and undo the smaller nut. then back off the smaller nut about 5mm followed by the large nut. That should allow sufficient slack to raise the lever. Just remember to re-tighten them afterwards. The process must be done with the lever in the lowered position.
Thanks - as ever a quick and detailed response, much appreciated.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Bear in mind that the exact location of those nuts determines the adjustment of the handbrake, so you need to get them back to the same location afterwards unless you want to be messing about adjusting the handbrake!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Use some women's nail polish to mark a face of the larger nut, then count the number of full turns you have made when loosening them....just turn them back the same number of turns when re-tightening.... your mobile phone camera may help to record the exact position before you undo them... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I've never had to touch the handbrake to remove the centre console, just loosen everything then pull out the side panels at the front of the centre console and push it as far forward and down as you can manage, then lift over the handbrake.
scooobydont

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by scooobydont »

I have just done this myself in order to plastidip my centre console (it did have vinyl over it put was peeling badly).I pulled the back up to slide it as far as it would go but was still about 2 inches short of clearing the handbrake lever. I pulled the console up at the front as high as I could and then was able to pull it over the handbrake lever. I did not need to touch the handbrake at all, it was fidly as hell though although the result was worth it.

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

That looks good, where did you go and how much was it if you dont mind me asking?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Plastidip is available in a spray can... RUSTOLEUM do a good product... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

scooobydont

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by scooobydont »

bertiejaffa wrote:That looks good, where did you go and how much was it if you dont mind me asking?

£11.25 from Ebay. Sprayed it myself. 5 coats, very light each time.

I have ended up with a rubbery almost 'rough' finish which actually looks even better than the smooth finish I had expected to get. I have done a little research and this can happen if you do not apply enough Plastip on each coat. Each coat would need to have been 'wetter' in order to give a smooth finish.

Looks like i 'fluked it' :)