Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE NOW.. IN COLOUR

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE NOW.. IN COLOUR

Post by Southernboy »

Due to the interest shown by several members, I have ordered parts made for the seat lift mod whicch I last had for sale around a year ago.
For the uninitiated, these were designed and created in conjubnction with the input from a member who had worked for the Land Rover design people. The input resulted in the modification being made to a specification which provides 100% safety when fitted. By that I mean it will perform as well as the OEM set-up of a bolted seat frame.
The idea came about when I noticed myself "slouching" in the seat whilst driving...this was mostly caused by "butt slippage" on the leather seats under deceleration and braking.. the regular need to push myself back in the seat to maintain a comfortable driving position on longer drives became tiresome.
The seatlift mod raises the front fixing points of the seat slightly, so that the actual seat of the chair tilts towards the backrest. This keeps one more comfortably positioned under normal driving. 10 sets will be available of which 3 have already been reserved. They are £22.00 per set plus postage which last year was £14.00 Registered Airmail. Transit time is 6 - 10 days from postage date. Anyone wanting to reserve a set - or two, please PM me.

To describe briefly the requirements of the mod one must start with the seat slide front mounting points. Under the slide at the hole through which the stud passes, there is a small round "nipple" which locates into the floor of the car. This is a locating nipple and positions the slide in it's correct place to ensure the two slides remain equidistant. It also serves as a safety feature by "keying" the seat into the recess in the floor, and adds to the security of the passengers even if the nut is slightly loose. The same nipple is provided on the lift mechanism spacer, and on it's opposite side is a recess where the nipple under the slide can locate into. This ensures the entire system is truly in line and can be secured correctly. In place of the OEM nut, a "sex bolt" is provided. This has an internal M8 thread and an outer 12mm shaft. The shaft passes snugly through the center of the spacer and the bolt then screws down onto the OEM floor stud as did the OEM nut.
Below is a pic of the kit so you can see what I have described above. There have been alternatives presented on various forums including this one for lifters which achieve the required "lift"...they are way cheaper than my offering, but if you do some research into them, you will see the folly of using them. They are at best a method of raising the front of the seat without any hint at being safe in an emergency. That being said, responsibility for anyone else's or your own wellbeing in an accident may be disputed by an insurance cover when using an item which is obviously not safe to begin with. That single issue was the motivation for creating a system which is as good as or better than an OEM fastening set-up.

No alterations to the OEM status of your car is required and the fitting is quick and simple... remove the 2 front nuts, slightly loosen the 2 rear mount bolts, lift the seat at the front and position the 2 spacers under the seat slides so their nipples engage into the recesses on the spacer. lower into position, and secure both sides with the sex bolts... re-tighten the 2 rear bolts, and job done...Retain the OEM nuts should you want to reverse the fitting at any time later.

Last edited by Southernboy on Tue 29 Apr, 2014 19:41, edited 3 times in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE MAY 8th.

Post by Southernboy »

.....4 sets reserved...six left.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - APRIL 25TH...!!

Post by Southernboy »

..... Quick update...these will now be ready for posting on April 25th.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... bump.... 5 left ! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Southernboy wrote:To describe briefly the requirements of the mod one must start with the seat slide front mounting points. Under the slide at the hole through which the stud passes, there is a small round "nipple" which locates into the floor of the car. This is a locating nipple and positions the slide in it's correct place to ensure the two slides remain equidistant. It also serves as a safety feature by "keying" the seat into the recess in the floor, and adds to the security of the passengers even if the nut is slightly loose. The same nipple is provided on the lift mechanism spacer, and on it's opposite side is a recess where the nipple under the slide can locate into.
You had me at nipple.

Sold.
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... Yes, there seems to be a few "spring" sentiments on the forum just now.... I had a discussion about "cup size" with someone today.... He liked a "large cup size"... it seems... I guess you will want a cup size to accommodate the nipple too.... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Lest we forget about your stunning knob :lol:
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... oh dear, I'd forgotten that.... At least mine stays put...one member had a complaint from his BH that everytime she drove his car, his knob could be pulled off !! :oops: ...... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:.... oh dear, I'd forgotten that.... At least mine stays put...one member had a complaint from his BH that everytime she drove his car, his knob could be pulled off !! :oops: ...... :roflmao:
That's cos she's tugging on it too hard!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... I think I recall him saying that too.... but he did say his knob was a little floppy on the shaft... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

I have a plastic knob.

If you could clone your shiny knob for me, except maybe in a brushed style, I'd be very happy.
Every time I'd look at it I could think to myself... This feels just like Barry's knob.

PM me ;)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... with that in mind, perhaps you should sort yourself out...I'm not sure I would be comfortable with you thinking about my knob whilst playing with your clone... :shock:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Lol
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... I have 4 sets of these left.... £22.00 plus postage. Registered Airmail / Signed for. 6 - 10 days....
Please read the "blurb" at the top of this thread... These are Z3 specific !!... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE NOW..

Post by Southernboy »

..... for those who have bought these recently...please note, fitting requires the spacer to have the recess uppermost so that the "nipple" under the seat slide slots into it... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE NOW..

Post by Southernboy »

.......... and now in colour.... :D
Painted these so I could do some pics for an advertisement.... It should show up well when fitted in my car... :D
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 SEAT LIFT MOD - AVAILABLE NOW.. IN COLOUR

Post by sirius-c »

How much does this mod raise the rail by at the front?

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Stephen
The total lift is aprox 12mm or less (depends on the carpet condition)... anymore than that and the seat back can't be comfortably reclined enough, with the result that the occupant will tend to feel as if his knees are in the air and his head is obliged to meet them... :D ...It's like having the seat back in a too upright position...just doesn't feel good. The higher one lifts the seat front, the less recline on the backrest before it comes into contact with the body etyc behind it...
Also, the more the front is raised, the greater the pressure behind the occupants knees, which isn't good for circulation... What this mod does is to raise the front just sufficiently to allow one's butt to stay put at the back of the seat vs sliding forward...especially if the backrest is reclined somewhat for the taller guys.
The single most relevant aspect though is one can apply it and be sure of the secure application in the event of a bump or worse. The "sex bolt" extends to within 1,0mm of the bottom of the OEM floor stud, which means it uses all the length of the stud to hold onto as a fastener. Naturally, if the studs in your car are rusted and weakened, then that will determine the overall strength of the fixing... but that would apply using the OEM nut also.
The diameter of the spacer also provides a solid base onto the carpet, and also for the seatslide to rest on, further stabilising the joint. In fact the spacer is the same width as the seat slide, so the overall stability is unchanged fom OEM to raised... hope that explains the reasons for the height this mod will achieve... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ I'd really like to hear from the guys who recently bought these from me and their opinion on the results they have experienced.... :?: :?: :D
"Normal is overrated"

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Hi Barry, as you know, I have received my set but not yet fitted them.

However, I can vouch for you by saying the build and design quality is amazing.

Thanks, congratulations and well done!

David
MCEwan

M coupe S50

Post by MCEwan »

Barry,

Not fitted mine yet either, spent the weekend spraying them satin black.

Will post up some feedback when fitted.

Ewan
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Fitted a set yesterday and really impressed with the quality and ease of fitment. Well thought out and makes a noticeable difference to the feel of the seat. Buy some. Now!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... thanks guys... I'm really interested in the changed seating position, the seat adjustability once fitted and if you feel it's an improvement over the OEM seated position...
"Normal is overrated"

Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Hi Barry, fitted mine yesterday, firstly I must say that they are a really well engineered, a top quality product. When I first saw them I was a bit sceptical as to how much difference the spacer would make, but it does and you can see the difference between the seats 'pitch' side by side. My reason for getting them was down to lower back pain I get when driving long journeys, I felt like my lower back wasn't being supported. But with the spacers fitted I do feel that I am siting in a much better position, feels like I am more in a bucket seat and the backs of my legs are better supported by the front bolster. I will report back after a long drive.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Alan... I'll be keen to hear your feedback. Yes, I think if it were higher, the pressure behing one's knees would cause more problems with circulation than improve seating comfort... if you begin to feel as though there is too much pressure there, just lower your seat fractionally...I'd hate you should have a "dead leg" whilst driving... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ Decided to treat Scarab II to a set of lifts on both seats...after all I think it would be nice if my passenger also had their knees up too... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

MCEwan

M coupe S50

Post by MCEwan »

Barry, just to say thanks.
I Fitted mine at the weekend - this is how it should have been from the factory.
Much more support from the seat base, especially behind the knee area which never touched the seat base. This made longer runs tiring & uncomfortable due to the lack of support.
Easy to install, took about 15 minutes.

Thanks again
Ewan
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep, I would agree... It does make a subtle difference which translates into a very comfortable seated position. I thing the "bulge" in the seat section of the M and sport seats was an attempt to prevent the sliding forward syndrome one experiences on the leather seats. Thanks for the feedback... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

cemalakcal

M coupe S50

Post by cemalakcal »

Southernboy wrote:...... I have 4 sets of these left.... £22.00 plus postage. Registered Airmail / Signed for. 6 - 10 days....
Please read the "blurb" at the top of this thread... These are Z3 specific !!... :wink:
Hi Mate,

If it also fits Z3M seats, can you send me 2 sets (driver & passenger seats) to Istanbul-Turkiye PO:34330 via tracked mail. PM me your Paypal details for an immideate payment ;)

Cemal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They will fit any Z3... I think the seat fittings are all the same... just the actual seat design is different. I only have 1 set left right now which you are welcome to. If you prefer to wait 2-3 weeks, I will have some more in stock.
Let me know what you wish to do.
"Normal is overrated"

cemalakcal

M coupe S50

Post by cemalakcal »

Southernboy wrote:They will fit any Z3... I think the seat fittings are all the same... just the actual seat design is different. I only have 1 set left right now which you are welcome to. If you prefer to wait 2-3 weeks, I will have some more in stock.
Let me know what you wish to do.
I'll buy one set and let me know when another set is ready ;)

Waiting for your paypal details for an immideate payment !
Cal1000

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cal1000 »

I'll have a set if you have any left? Hit me up :)
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Are these still available? If so could you please let me know total cost for two sets and the Paypal details please.

Jim
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The anti-submarine "lump" is the same on all Sport seats including the M seats, but the standard angle of the seat is wrong hence the complete lack of underthigh support.

I can recommend this mod, I raised the front of my Z3 over 10yrs ago and did the same to my Coupe in 2005 as soon as I got it home! Makes it much more comfortable. And yes, doesn't take much different in seating position for it to be very noticeable.