No Buyer As Yet... Storage Advice

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Skidmore2015

Z3 roadster 2.8

No Buyer As Yet... Storage Advice

Post by Skidmore2015 »

Hi All,

Its looking less and less likely that my 2.8 Z3 is going to sell in the current market, I'm thinking that I shall store it for 3-4 years bringing it out every now and again for some fun but also keep the mileage below 38K.

Does anybody have any storage advice, i.e what needs to be done before she goes into hibernation?

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance :)
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: No Buyer As Yet... Storage Advice

Post by lebigmec »

I would have a read of some of the threads on 'winter storage' for a start, if I were you.
Personally, when I store my car in winter, I do a service, totally clean the car inside & out, wax it, over inflate the tyres to their max stated psi, clean & 'feed' the leather, put a container of silica gel in the car & one in the boot, treat the rubbers with Gummi Pflege, hook the car up to a Ctek battery conditioner to keep that in order, then put the whole car in a 'Car capsule' in my garage for the winter & don't do another thing until the springtime, when it has always started at first turn of the key..
I'm sure there will be other, maybe better advice, but that's what I do for storage from October to April each year.
Hope this helps.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: No Buyer As Yet... Storage Advice

Post by Southernboy »

You want to put the car up on jack stands if it's going to be standing for months. The pressure on the wheel bearings in a static position will damage them on the pressure point. Also, as suggested, change oil and coolant. Use distilled water to mix in with the coolant. A dry environment is best, so perhaps try to seal the room as best you can from any possibility of damp air entering. If the room has windows, use some heavy duty grease around the edges before closing them and use a decent weather strip at the bottom of the doors. The battery can simply be disconnected and removed from the car for maintaining it's charge. Use an oil soaked cloth to wipe down the mechanical bits under the car - nuts / bolts joints etc. Release the hand brake once you have it up on the stands and leave it off. Rubber treatment as suggested. If you decide to cover it with a car cover, make sure it can breathe... any condensation of moisture must be able to escape. Consider the cover as a dust cover vs a damp cover. Think how the USA stores it's aircraft out in the desert... dry !!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions