Wanted. Rear screen zipper

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wanted. Rear screen zipper

Post by domross »

I’m looking to get my rear window refurbed, does anyone have the zip attachment for removal and replacement?
saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Wanted. Rear screen zipper

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

Hi,
I bought a replacement window with a fitting kit on the forum for £60 about 2 years ago. I haven't used it because I replaced the whole hood. Do you want a couple of pics?
Jim
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Hi Jim, definitely...Will take the whole thing :)
Cheers Dom
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

I'm interested if dom doesn't take it
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Can I have the zipper when you're done? I'll need it for the spare screen I got for my car, but I'd also lend it out like the hardtop tools.

Thanks R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

No problem Robert, I'm waiting on hearing from Jim, but once the window is done, you are welcome to it.
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

can I have the old screen so that I can get the screen renewed on the zipper pls?
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Again, no problem, just waiting on Jim still...
Are you going to use ‘the seat guy’ on ebay?
saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

Dom,
Sent you an email. Sorry for the mix up.
Jim
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

domross wrote: Thu 07 Jun, 2018 20:40 Again, no problem, just waiting on Jim still...
Yeah - is he any good?
trotter

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by trotter »

domross wrote: Thu 07 Jun, 2018 20:40 Again, no problem, just waiting on Jim still...
Sorry if this is off topic but does the "seat guy on EBay" fix scuffed seats? Do you have a website address?
I'm also after a rear window but the seats on my Z3 are not too good and I'm looking to get them repaired/recovered.

Thanks, Phil
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Jim, I’ve pm’d you 😁
Not used the repair service myself but the quality of his seat repairs looks good...he’s got a Facebook page under ‘the seat repair guy’ his contact deets are there...
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Also Phil...depends how bad your seats are and whether you want them back to new or more lived-in...I have used this product https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... vation-kit on an E30 I used to have...you send off a small swatch of leather from under the seat, they colour match it...really softened up the leather and re-coloured it while giving a good aged quality...if you do this wear gloves!! It is a bugger to get off...
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Thanks so much Jim, window arrived today and in...has to be one of the more fiddly jobs, how you laugh when it unzips halfway round just as you take the zipper off...for the 3rd time...looks great once done though
Robert...I’m going to stitch the ends closed so will keep hold of the zipper just now as I’ve a sneaking suspicion I’ll need it again...if you PM me your address I’ll send it as soon as I’m done.
Sebring PM me your address and I’ll send you the old window.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

The window is all in and the zip ends are done.
just a few tips if you are going to do this, that will save you time...if you get it right 1st time it'll only take about 30-45mins...however..
1. If the Zipper appears tighter on one side than the other, (it is more difficult to go around the corners on that side) don't persevere, just unzip and move the start point over by a couple of mm (easier than it sounds) towards the tight side.
2. Unclip the hood to remove tension...if you have a helper they can open the hood to varying degrees as you put the zipper around.
3.Most important...I may have been missing something but rather than clamping the zip closed at the end once the window is positioned, just stitch it shut, every time I tried to push the clamp thru the zip, the pressure would push the zip open...start again...4 times...
Robert and Sebring ,if you send me your addresses I'll post the requested bits...