1999 BMW Z3 1.9 twin-cam, 97K, FSH

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

1999 BMW Z3 1.9 twin-cam, 97K, FSH

Post by Benw123 »

Regretfully selling my 1999 BMW Z3 1.9 twin-cam after 7 fantastic years of ownership. I’m only selling due to an impulse purchase of an American import (!), otherwise I would definitely remain its owner.

Finished in Boston Green, it has covered 97,000 miles, has the optional leather seats, the M steering wheel and gear knob, wind deflector, a detailed service record and receipts, and last year a brand new £575 Twilfast hood and rear window from Croydon Soft Tops.

Mechanically, the car has wanted for nothing: it has had a new exhaust, battery, shocks, rear brake discs and pads, water pump, thermostat, drive belt, and recent 4 x Avon tyres. All the major weaknesses of the Z3 have been addressed, including repairs to the ABS module, new electric seat bushes, a replacement MAF sensor, and fresh oil for the gearbox and differential. I also have receipts for other parts that have been renewed, including new number plates, BMW badges, various bulbs etc. I’ve spent almost £2,500 in parts over the last 7 years! You can search my posts for pictures of most of the work done each year.

The ICE has been upgraded including a Bluetooth Pioneer head unit with handsfree and music streaming capability, 4 x JVC speakers and a pillar-mounted microphone.

Every year, I’ve taxed and enjoyed the car from March until October, then put it on SORN and into the garage to make any repairs and handle servicing. It always had an oil and filter change as a minimum before going back on the road. It had its MoT today with no advisories and means the next one is not due until March 2023.

The car drives fantastically, has always been perfectly reliable and is very cheap to run (insurance is a little over £150 a year on a classic, limited-mileage policy, while it does an easy 40mpg on a run). These cars were well-specified for their time, including remote central locking, electric windows and electric mirrors.

The paintwork polishes up really well with my Autoglym kit but does have a number of stone chips, odd marks and a couple of instances of lacquer peel. The sill ends by each wheel arch are showing some small bits of corrosion, and on one side, it has a small blister on the lower wing. Otherwise, the body is rock solid, including underneath. I have rust-treated various parts of the car but avoiding the winter months has helped preserve its longevity.

As well as a full service history, I have the car handbook including the original wallet, two keys, a Haynes manual for the new owner, and have tracked down an original period sales brochure from when the Z3 was new. I also keep a spreadsheet of all the parts and money spent on it (and when!) and will gladly pass this on to the new owner.

I'm planning to advertise the car for £3,250 but will take £3,000 to secure it. Some photos follow; I plan to get some fresh ones done in the next few days. Any questions, either post here or DM me. Thanks!

Last edited by Benw123 on Sun 20 Feb, 2022 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather
Benw123

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 1999 BMW Z3 1.9 twin-cam, 97K, FSH

Post by Benw123 »

Vehicle now sold.
99/T Z3 1.9 twin-cam, Boston Green, black leather