Central Locking Problem

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
CTB

Not specified

Central Locking Problem

Post by CTB »

I have a problem with my central locking on my 98 2.8, when locking by using the red button on the key fob both doors and boot lock, when pressing the grey button only the passengers door and boot unlock, the drivers door can be unlocked using the key, or in open top mode with windows down by pulling on the handle inside the car, however by using the key all doors lock and unlock normally.

Has anyone ever come across this before, I am thinking it may be a fault with the door opening solenoid, but before parting with the hard earned just thought I would throw it open for all.

If it is D.I.Yable how do I go about fixing it, taking the door trim off etc.

Many thanks for your help, guidence and assistance in advance

Chris
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi there...

Yes, it is most likley the solenoid in the door as you suspect.

I would remove the door tim and check the wiring with a meter to ensure that the motor is indeed being told to unlock. I am assuming its a three wire motor not two here...

I have not checked the wiring diagram as it could be a control unit... but not that likley. You may be able to pick up the motor wiring in the footwell, (which would save removing door trim),

Send me a PM and I will get you the info you need.

David

PS - door trims are easy to remove and time consuming to replace....
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Chris - you have PM...

The door motors are 6 wire so it is a meter and get testing....

D
JUNGLE
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JUNGLE »

BMW dealers will charge you GBP 150 to fit the new solenoid. ( actuator )

Regards
JUNGLE
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

I had exactly this problem, exactly the same symptons. Had a new motor fitted at a back street garrage, still cost a bomb £174 all in!!

By the look of this board BMW would have been cheeper!
JayCee

Other roadster

I had the problem intermittantly on mine. I never

Post by JayCee »

fixed but found that if it was warm and i had not washed the car for a week or two the problem fixed itself. So I presume it was dampness somewhere inside the drivers door. What I did, after finally assuming that it was the dampness, was to use insulating tape to seal the window bottom against the drivers door when I washed the and avoid heavy hose pressure around that area when rinsing off. No more bother until I forgot, washed as usual and the fault reappeared. Sometimes it would not lock but open, sometimes it would lock but not open, sometimes not lock or open. May seem a daft fix but it worked for me and it was cheap!!
If the car had been out in the rain it was always ok so it may have been the pressure from the hosepipe forcing the water down.
John
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined!
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

That is also the same as what happened to me, it periodically fixed itself, worked for days/weeks/months then stoped again as mysteriously as it got fixed.

So far since having the motor replaced it's been trouble free.
JUNGLE
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JUNGLE »

Same thing happend to me as Desparado, if it was damp outside it wouldnt work, if I left it for a while it would start up again, and would work for weeks until the problem returned, eventually though the door packed up all together and I replaced the solenoid.

My local " Sytner " garage offered me a discount as the car is 4 years old ( I believe it was about 10% ) hence the price.

Regards
JUNGLE