Request for a new section under 'Lifestyle'

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Request for a new section under 'Lifestyle'

Post by John1950 »

I started a new general tongue in cheek topic a few days ago.
In it I was asking for who was the oldest member here. The response was very good - it made me suggest that we ask for a new Forum section to be formed called 'OFS' (Old Farts Syndicate) - probably best placed under 'Lifestyle'. If you look at my recent posts under 'Who's the oldest member' (or something similar) you'll see the long thread and my initial ideas for the sort of subject we would discuss.
Whilst it was originally tongue in cheek, it now seems to be generating some new shoots of interest amongst the 'mature' members so how about it, what are your thoughts?

Regards
John Walker
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Even though I would be far too young to participate I think its a great idea :thumb:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

im just outa nappys.....but its a great idea.....you could have an online retirement village :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You could always reside in 'The Lounge' with a sub heading of 'OFS' for easy reference
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Malcolm E Zed

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Malcolm E Zed »

I am just an embryo but I like the idea.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

..er. Just done a search on Google for 'decrepid wind' and I arrived here. Am I in the right place???

Another (not so) 'OF'
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

sorry couldnt read that , the writing is too small :roflmao:
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

life style

Post by nearly old »

bluddy great idea for us grumpy old men. Well done that man
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

garythefish wrote:You could always reside in 'The Lounge' with a sub heading of 'OFS' for easy reference
Not a bad idea Gary. Maybe we OFS types need a bit of marketing throughout the site - to let the Old Farts know of their new section?

By the way, where has the site been for the last fortnight or so - it disappeared. It made me do some searching and I see something similar happened back in 2008. I hope it wasn't something malicious?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Mr Silver wrote:..er. Just done a search on Google for 'decrepid wind' and I arrived here. Am I in the right place???

Another (not so) 'OF'
Old Fart - that doesn't translate to Decrepit Wind - well, not in my case. Wind, possibly, decrepit, no, no, no - I still make young ladies moist; of eye at least.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Lifestyle

Post by nearly old »

Ok here i go with my first grump. For the past six years i have worked for a local authority as a driver for adults with learning disabilities. In the course of my work i have to take them to various parks etc. As the bus is 24ft long it can be a bit of bugger finding a decent parking space. Now here starts my rant. All the disabled parking spaces are taken by people taking their dogs for a nice long walk. Now correct me if i am wrong but i would have thought that to be entitled to a new car every three years free of road tax insurance and any repairs they would have great difficulty in taking LONG WALKS. They nearly always wear the same uniform which consists of track suit bottoms and trainers and some bludy stupid tee shirt with an eagle printed on. Thick gold chains are a must as are plenty of tattoes. I see this every week and wonder just how much this massive fraud is costing the country. As mobility cars are the largest fleet in the country it must be a lot. Grump over for now i need a lay down
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

Lifestyle

Post by nearly old »

Ok here i go with my first grump. For the past six years i have worked for a local authority as a driver for adults with learning disabilities. In the course of my work i have to take them to various parks etc. As the bus is 24ft long it can be a bit of bugger finding a decent parking space. Now here starts my rant. All the disabled parking spaces are taken by people taking their dogs for a nice long walk. Now correct me if i am wrong but i would have thought that to be entitled to a new car every three years free of road tax insurance and any repairs they would have great difficulty in taking LONG WALKS. They nearly always wear the same uniform which consists of track suit bottoms and trainers and some bludy stupid tee shirt with an eagle printed on. Thick gold chains are a must as are plenty of tattoes. I see this every week and wonder just how much this massive fraud is costing the country. As mobility cars are the largest fleet in the country it must be a lot. Grump over for now i need a lay down
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

Lifestyle

Post by nearly old »

John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Lifestyle

Post by John1950 »

nearly old wrote:Ok here i go with my first grump. For the past six years i have worked for a local authority as a driver for adults with learning disabilities. In the course of my work i have to take them to various parks etc. As the bus is 24ft long it can be a bit of bugger finding a decent parking space. Now here starts my rant. All the disabled parking spaces are taken by people taking their dogs for a nice long walk. Now correct me if i am wrong but i would have thought that to be entitled to a new car every three years free of road tax insurance and any repairs they would have great difficulty in taking LONG WALKS. They nearly always wear the same uniform which consists of track suit bottoms and trainers and some bludy stupid tee shirt with an eagle printed on. Thick gold chains are a must as are plenty of tattoes. I see this every week and wonder just how much this massive fraud is costing the country. As mobility cars are the largest fleet in the country it must be a lot. Grump over for now i need a lay down
Ah - I see you've posted in triplicate - solid evidence of being one of those - PSWs (Public Sector Workers).
There might be redemption if you actually own a Zed because, as we all know, real PSWs would never buy into such a thing, theirs is the small, the tinny, the cheap - the lacking in spirit and verve.
Come on, out with it....

Oh - and just a passing thought - I'm famous around Petersfield pond for my three dogs - though never in track suit bottoms (me, not the dogs), I always dress up - you never know who'll you'll bump into - I'm always hopeful.... :lol:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

lifestyle

Post by nearly old »

Sorry about posting in triplicate had trouble with pc. If i dont own a z why should i be on this site. Why do you feel the need to slag off psw some of us do work hard.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: lifestyle

Post by John1950 »

nearly old wrote:Sorry about posting in triplicate had trouble with pc. If i dont own a z why should i be on this site. Why do you feel the need to slag off psw some of us do work hard.
Before I posted my remark I re-read it a couple of times as I understand it's very easy to be misunderstood with text conversations. I was sure it would have been seen as humourous - I even went back into it and edited it by putting in a little smiley to reinforce my humourous intent.. sorry if it didn't work. :oops:

But then, it really is difficult not to offend PSWs I've found? :wink:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Thankyou Clarkson .................. :roll:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
sando

Z3 roadster 2.2i

oldest member

Post by sando »

John as i must be one of oldest?what would seperating members by age accomplish i would like to hear more of your idea,it could have some benifits?
:bawl:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: oldest member

Post by John1950 »

sando wrote:John as i must be one of oldest?what would seperating members by age accomplish i would like to hear more of your idea,it could have some benifits?
:bawl:
I wasn't suggesting separating members at all, I simply made a tongue in cheek call for an OFS place in the forum, probably best placed under Lifestyle. As it happens, the suggestion seems to have generated rather a lot of comments, pretty much all of them in favour.
I see it simply as a section for older members to have a chin wag about how it was in the 'good old days' of motoring - for me being the 60s. We could talk about anything really, road manners today compared to yesterday, paperwork, regulations, cross ply tyres, Weber carbs, cost of petrol, Sunday drivers, alternators versus dynamos, vacuum powered windscreen wipers, bank holiday traffic, little red licence books - the list is endless.
As far as help and suggestions though, well, there are other technical sections in the forum for that so we don't want to duplicate anything. But, if any of we 'older' members want to dip in and contribute to discussions and dreams of yesteryear, then more power to our collective elbows.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.2i

oldest member

Post by sando »

John you could have something it has benifits as you said old memories chats on yesteryear yes i like it thanks
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

sando wrote:John you could have something it has benifits as you said old memories chats on yesteryear yes i like it thanks
Hi Sando
I'm very glad to get the encouragement - oh, and a belated welcome to the site. I've not been a member long myself having bought my first open top two seater, the Zed, last March.

I'm not sure how I get the administrators to set up the "OFS" section. I imagine it would be 5 mins work and from the responses I've had, it looks very popular.

Still, keep posting, make sure you choose the right Forum section to put your posts in. No doubt we'll talk about those good old days when motoring was an adventure - and driven mostly by good manners.

Meanwhile, I hope you have a great Christmas.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

sando wrote:John you could have something it has benifits as you said old memories chats on yesteryear yes i like it thanks
Hi Sando
I'm very glad to get the encouragement - oh, and a belated welcome to the site. I've not been a member long myself having bought my first open top two seater, the Zed, last March.

I'm not sure how I get the administrators to set up the "OFS" section. I imagine it would be 5 mins work and from the responses I've had, it looks very popular.

Still, keep posting, make sure you choose the right Forum section to put your posts in. No doubt we'll talk about those good old days when motoring was an adventure - and driven mostly by good manners.

Meanwhile, I hope you have a great Christmas.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Ofs

Post by Franco »

Hi John
Having only just found the site again after it's downtime it is good to see that the possibility of a OFS is still alive. I beiieve that from the response you received for the oldest member that at March 1939 I was the oldest. I have memories of cable brakes , MG PA verical Scintilla magneto and Y type Ford vacuum wipers . If you are ever passing through Avranches in Normandy on your way south email me and perhaps we can meet up for a coffee or a beer.
My only problem with the Z is that the Zimmer frame is a tight fit.

Happy New Year

Alan
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Ofs

Post by John1950 »

Franco wrote:Hi John
Having only just found the site again after it's downtime it is good to see that the possibility of a OFS is still alive. I beiieve that from the response you received for the oldest member that at March 1939 I was the oldest. I have memories of cable brakes , MG PA verical Scintilla magneto and Y type Ford vacuum wipers . If you are ever passing through Avranches in Normandy on your way south email me and perhaps we can meet up for a coffee or a beer.
My only problem with the Z is that the Zimmer frame is a tight fit.

Happy New Year

Alan
Hi Alan

Good to hear from you.
Vacuum wipers eh? God I remember those on my 1953 Ford Prefect. Foot off the accelerator and they moved at the speed of sound!
I don't know Avranches but Janet and I often go to France via Le Havre as we're near Portsmouth (Janet used to be a French teacher) and then travel on down the south and the sun. Last summer we filled the Zed up to the gunwales and did three weeks of camping.
I must keep you in mind for next summer though I've absolutely no idea of what 'Madam' wants to do yet - I follow meekly (for the peace).
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image