Strut brace query

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Strut brace query

Post by big cheesy »

Finally I bit the bullet and bought a Cosmo front Brace for my 2.2. After following all the instructions on clearance etc fitted it myself. All the "hype" on the site is not understated - it has delivered a very noticable improvement to the handling as every one that has one fitted has said. Top marks. The only small query I have is the tension on the two bolts on the main spar of the brace itself, ( not where it fits to the tower, that's fine) Should these bolts be tightened fully or must the brace have room to move. The reason I ask is I am getting a new vibration from the brace itself at low revs and there is a bit of play between the main central spar and the connecting ends which is causing the noise.
All round clearance on all other parts of the brace is also fine.
:dunce: excuse me for being thick but I have the mechanical skills of a chimp. cheers - big cheesy
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

All needs to be very tight otherwise it would be useless being fitted.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Take a look at this:-

http://www.tony-bmwccse.co.uk/

Click into 'my modifications' and then strutt brace.

Dav the wheel nut
lesstatt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lesstatt »

In the instructions i got on my cosmo one it gave seperate torque setting for the mounting bolts and the cross bar bolts, so yes you do need to make them tight
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by big cheesy »

Cheers chaps the cross bar bolts are tightened up fully but there is still a tiny fraction of play on the cross bar both ends at each side which no amount of tightening on these bolts would eliminate. Way to small for another washer but certainly where the rattle is coming from. Maybe it just needs a bit of a shim to firm it up.
big cheesy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by big cheesy »

shim fitted - rock solid - sorted
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Struts are there to minimise the tiny changes in distance between the top of the suspension mounts due to chassis flex. Therefore it is imperative the strut is held completely rigid. Any play & it will be useless as c-w says. This is one reason I chose a strong strutt as the brackets clamp it downwards so there is no play whatsoever. It has no bits of bar through lugs or anything like that at the ends which might suffer from play.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

has anyone had one of these:

http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-acces ... ts_id=8382

etech strut brace.

any issues with fitting / denting bonnet etc.

I like the look of the strong strut braces but at £330 according to the uk distributor.....mmmm bit of a difference.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Adam wrote:has anyone had one of these:

etech strut brace.

I like the look of the strong strut braces but at £330 according to the uk distributor.....mmmm bit of a difference.
i have that one on my 2002 2.2 with no problems, works well, looks good and easy to fit
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Adam wrote:any issues with fitting / denting bonnet etc.

If you have a look at the "Strong Strut - possible group buy?" thread, you will see the checks that I had to carry out prior to fitting my SS.

This may give you an idea of the high spots under the bonnet :roll:
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Adam wrote:has anyone had one of these:

etech strut brace.

I have one on mine as well and bought it from the same people. Took ten minutes to fit with no issues.
If you are going to get one from them phone to find out availability as I had to wait a month!

Dav the wheel nut
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

managed to get an e-tech strut brace from these people:

www.europerformance.co.uk

ordered on sunday evening...delivered wednesday morning by 10am.

pretty quick turn around...and it was drop shipped direct from manufacturer/wholesaler.

cant wait to get home and fit it.