H & R anti roll bar

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

H & R anti roll bar

Post by Bench »

I managed to pick up the uprated roll bar with links and bushes for rediculous money. (£2.50)

Two questions can i uprate the rear and leave the front standard (already has poly bushes) if not can i twin it with a Z3m version?
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
SledgeHammer

M roadster S50

Post by SledgeHammer »

No and no, just sell them to me for double the money! :wink:

Adding more bar in front or back will affect the handling in different ways, even more so when your Z is lowered. In "theory", using a thicker bar in the rear will result in more oversteer, something that is not recommended for most drivers, as understeer is easier to correct than oversteer at moments you're not expecting your car to go sideways. "Understeered" is how most BMW's are set up from factory.
Besides the handling factor, the Z's have a very weak subframe in the rear as you may already know, adding more bar will increase the stress on the subframe, resulting in cracks and popped spotwelds. Not saying this will happen, but it all adds up.
I would recommend upgrading both front and back, by doing so you will add stiffness when cornering while keeping the handling neutral. You can also start at the front and work from there.
AFAIK the ///M frontbar has different endlinks and will require different shocks in the front. ///M's have the mounting point at the shock, while the ones on the normal Z's are connected at the controlarm.
How did you lower the car? If you only replaced the springs, a coilover set would be a good next step, in combination with camber plates for the fronts. Adding or removing bars usually comes after that.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

Car has ap coilovers, i will just keep an eye out for a front. I think any e36 non m one will fit?
SledgeHammer

M roadster S50

Post by SledgeHammer »

According to the ETK the same swaybar can be found in several e36 cars yes. Standard thickness for the front is 24mm, or 25mm for the ones with M sport suspension. So what you're probably looking for is a 28mm bar like the H&R ones. 15mm on the back btw, 19mm for the H&R version.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

Cheers for your help, will keep an eye out on ebay.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

FYI the Z3M front anti roll bar is thinner than the non-M probably due to the different drop link mounting positions. But the rear Z3M roll bar is thicker than the non-M.

It's not fully clear from what has been posted, but I'm guessing you have bought just a rear H&R roll bar?
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

Yes its just a rear.
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

That sounds as if it will work without uprating the front. As i have said the frnot alread has poly bushes and a strut brace so quite stiff.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Zedonist wrote:The H&R Front Stabiliser is 28mm diameter, the 2.0 had either a 24mm or 25mm in Msport pack.

On the rear the H&R is 19mm, and the 2.0 is 15mm.

The M Front stabiliser is a different design so will not fit non M cars but is 23mm in diameter with an 18mm diameter rear.

This suggests that normal Z3's are set up for neutral handling compared to more agressive on the M version, so possibly by changing just the rear you will get Z3M like handling characteristics.
The only bar that can be compared like for like is the rear as the locating points are the same on the body and trailing arms, but on the front the leverage of the droplink on the bar is different non-m vs z3m.