Brake Pads - whats best for the road?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Brake Pads - whats best for the road?

Post by Badman gee »

red stuff pads imho,

made by ebc

literally no dust and better than oem stopping power.

dust levels are the main bonus.

they look good with my blue claipers and silver bodywork.

mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I went for EBC yellowstuff (track / road).

The latest compounds mean that they don't suffer from cold like they used to.

I only really use my car for fast road use in summer but the OEM pads used to fade badly on twisty B roads. The yellowstuff transformed the braking and stopped me looking at big brake kits which would have been overkill for road use.

The main problem was sqeaking for the first few hundred miles but once they bedded in that went.

Much less brake dust than OEM as well.

Red Stuff may be just as good for road use but I would fit the yellowstuff again tomorrow if I needed ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Zedonist wrote:Thanks guys, will look for the best prices now...... I take it the Z3 is easy to change, retaining clip, release piston pull out / push in etc?
Yes they are quite easy - I removed the spring clip, pad spreader to remove the outer pad, released the caliper retaining bolts (7mm allen key), pulled back the caliper and inner pad, released and removed the inner pad (there is a spring clip on the back that sits inside the piston), cleaned everything, and then fitted the new pads, etc.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

EBC Yellow for me, best price I found was Demon Tweeks on Ebay.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

When I fitted Red Stuff it felt like a major brake upgrade. Extremely pleased with them. Much much better than standard pads. Plus as Badman says next to no dust from them
'High G' motoring enthusiast
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I like the sound of these redstuff pads. Having cleaned front and back of all my wheels last week (and polished and sealed them too) the shortest of trips has them looking dirty again. My front pads have plenty left on them, but I think I'd be tempted to change them early, the brake fluid was changed last October (4,000 miles ago) according to the history, so shouldn't need doing yet.

If I do the rears, I understand the calipers have to be opened using a tool (not replaced rear disc pads before, though done loads of front ones and DRUM rears :D )?

Must go and fill my car up...off to Silverstone tomorrow morning for a PH Sunday Service, if anyone else is going come and say hello. :)
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

With all the comments above concerning Red & Yellowstuff.............most of the EBC suppliers recommened these, for vehicles with 200 bhp and above.

As I'm due to replce the front pads very soon on my Z3, 2.2.....170 bhp........I was considering using the EBC Greenstuff, recommended for vehicles below 200 bhp

I just wondered if any members had any comments on Greenstuff............or will I be waisting my money? :bawl:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

don't think in matters about the bhp.

id go for the red.

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I can't find it at the moment, but somewhere in Googleland there is a chart that shows pad/disc combinations. From memory Redstuff can be used with OEM discs, but Yellowstuff needs to have the discs upgraded as well.
Pingu
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

pingu wrote:I can't find it at the moment, but somewhere in Googleland there is a chart that shows pad/disc combinations. From memory Redstuff can be used with OEM discs, but Yellowstuff needs to have the discs upgraded as well.
I found this page last night:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/red ... pads.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom and there is a table of which pads can be combined front and rear. Maybe somewhere else on the site they have the discs?
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

if Yellow pads need a disc upgrade then I'd say the vast improvement just going from standard pads to red stuff pads is more than enough for anything other than extreme driving & only then probably on the track.
In which case Red stuff should suffice for the vast majority of situations. I drive hard & feel no need for yellow pads. I can't praise the red stuff pads enough. Just IMHO
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

I had a set of reds on a track car, got them for next to nothing. They didnt even last the day! so if you enjoy a spirited drive maybe not for you?
Uploaded with ImageShack.us